First enduro in NC???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

First enduro in NC???

Looking to do an enduro this year, been riding around a year. Ive been trying to work on my fitness pretty hard this rainy off season and have done 1500ft of climbing in a day but its not like im flying up the climbs but can hold a constant pace with short breaks for the most part. Am i gonna make it to the stages in time, sure it varies but in general? Pretty confident on the downs, did a lot of bike parks so short of road gaps and huge drops im confident i can hold my own.

So where do the NC guys race? I know beech does one and rode the bike park last year, heard its a lot of climbing. Any ideas on some good races to start with? ill take Gnarly downs over daunting ups if theres a choice. Also my buddy lives in Lynchburg VA so that area is also an option.

Not looking to win by any means but me and a buddy are planning to pick an event and commit to it and hopefully finish but i miss that pre race nervousness i use to get racing hare scrambles lol.

jcd's best friend
    I'm relatively new to enduro but from what I understand, you aren't timed on your ups, you are timed on your downs. A couple people gave me some advice and said to preserve your energy while climbing to the stages which may include a bit of walking as needed. You have to wait in line when you get to the stage anyways.

Here is a video of Daily MTB Rider's first ever enduro event from last year. He has a 2 part video to his race so check the other part out! He will be riding 2 enduro races this year.

Cannondale Synapse Neo | Salsa Timberjack

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    There are currently three good ones on the calendar in Western North Carolina.

Fire Mountain Enduro is a one day event, April 27, 2019, in Cherokee, NC:
    Glory Hound Events | Fire Mountain Inferno XC & EnduroGlory Hound Events

Oskar Blues Enduro is a one day event, May 18, 2019, in the Green River Game Lands:
    OSKAR BLUES ENDURO | Green River Games

Pisgah Enduro is a two day event, June 1-2, 2019, on east side of Pisgah, near Old Fort, NC:
    https://www.pisgahproductions.com/events/pisgah-enduro/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thatthang View Post
    There are currently three good ones on the calendar in Western North Carolina.

Fire Mountain Enduro is a one day event, April 27, 2019, in Cherokee, NC:
    Glory Hound Events | Fire Mountain Inferno XC & EnduroGlory Hound Events

Oskar Blues Enduro is a one day event, May 18, 2019, in the Green River Game Lands:
    OSKAR BLUES ENDURO | Green River Games

Pisgah Enduro is a two day event, June 1-2, 2019, on east side of Pisgah, near Old Fort, NC:
    https://www.pisgahproductions.com/events/pisgah-enduro/
    perfect thank you, this is what i was looking for, the Game lands one doesnt look too bad at all.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin-nc View Post
    perfect thank you, this is what i was looking for, the Game lands one doesnt look too bad at all.
    The Fire Mountain stuff is pretty mellow, definitely the more mellow of the group, and stages will have some climbing in them, although they'll be short and punchy.

Pisgah Enduro is a fun one too with a great course, but if you do the second day, be prepared for a really big slog.

Green River is a blast, but I'd pre-ride the course. It can be overwhelming depending on your skill level and my understanding (which could be wrong) is that the cutoffs are strictly enforced due to other events happening the same day. They are generous, but not as lax as you'd get with the other two events, and it's an intense course: very steep, tight in spots (you'll probably have to walk some things), and the climbout is pretty intense.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adodero View Post
    The Fire Mountain stuff is pretty mellow, definitely the more mellow of the group, and stages will have some climbing in them, although they'll be short and punchy.

Pisgah Enduro is a fun one too with a great course, but if you do the second day, be prepared for a really big slog.

Green River is a blast, but I'd pre-ride the course. It can be overwhelming depending on your skill level and my understanding (which could be wrong) is that the cutoffs are strictly enforced due to other events happening the same day. They are generous, but not as lax as you'd get with the other two events, and it's an intense course: very steep, tight in spots (you'll probably have to walk some things), and the climbout is pretty intense.
    Thanks for the insight, fire mountain I think is what were gonna shoot for although climbs in the stages sounds less than ideal haha. I've rode most of the trails on the pisgah enduro course atleast the 1st day anyways kitsuma would be a blast to ride on the clock.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Did the pisgah enduro last year as my first ever enduro. Had never ridden any of the trails before so it was truly blind. Amazing two days of racing. Kitsuma was the first time I ever hit 40mph in dirt according to my wheel sensor and head unit. And they are not even close to joking about the hike a bike up to the top of heartbreak on day two. It was killer and then it stormed when we started the stage. Def would recommend you do that race at least once.