Evil The Following v Turner RFX- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Evil The Following v Turner RFX

I'm settling down to these being my main options. Big differences between the two, 29 v 27.5, 120 mm v 160 mm travel (but people swear the Following feels like more). But these two represent, at least to me, the best of their categories.

I'm looking at getting a bigger bike again after going xc for the last few years and this will be an addition to my stable, not a replacement for my Cannonade Scalpel 29. I'm missing some playfulness of my older 26" trailbikes, and want something for shuttle days, like on Whole Enchilada, bike park days, and that still be taken on all-day rides, you know this "enduro bike" thing.

Anyone ride both? Only a select few have, since the RFX just came out at interbike.
    Thoughts?

edit: I may try some Enduro races here in Colorado next year, for what it's worth
    Last edited by Whambat; 10-25-2015 at 09:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    A member here has a blog called stuck in the spokes and I believe has demoed both bikes with reviews. Search for that

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks

mtbr member
    KRob has ridden both bikes. Stuck In The Spokes is his website. He really digs The Following.

You could also consider the Evil Insurgent if these two bikes are on your radar.

mtbr member
    Yes, I did ride both bikes and really liked them both. As far as enduro racing I'd choose based on what your courses are like. The one or two enduros I do each year both beg for a big like the Following. Trails are fast and flowing for the most part and rougher DH stuff is not beyond what the Following can handle (and handle well). Plus they both have a lot of climbing.

Having said that, I've ridden my Knolly Chilcotin at both these races and despite wishing I'd had a little lighter, better sprinting bike in a few places I did well. Point being, the RFX is lighter and a better/firmer pedaler than the Chilcotin by a fair margin so it would also work well despite its big 160mm enduro bike character at these smoother enduros...... and OWN the day at the steep, chunkier, park-based, or euro enduros.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    I'm assuming that when you say "a more playful bike" you mean a bike you can pop off small features with and still handle a rowdy trail with composure. I would suggest the Turner since there is less cross over with your Scalpel and 27.5 are inherently more playful than 29r's.

At the end of the day you'll be happy with either bike (you should know you've ridden both) but I have learned from experience the greater spread you can keep in your stable of bikes the happier you'll be in the long run.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks for the input. I have decided to go with the RFX. Being an xl, I am able to get one off the first shipment. Now just to decide which build. Either the gx build with a wheel upgrade, or just go full bore xo1 build, that has the flow wheels I'd upgrade to.