• 09-07-2016
    TheAtomicGoose
    Enduro Racing in the Northeast USA
    Hi All,

I'd really like to get into enduro racing, as it seems like a lot of fun. However, I'm finding that there aren't any races nearby (I live in Massachusetts). The closest race I've found is ~3 hours away, and as a senior in high school, that's somewhat of a barrier for me, especially when you add the $65 entrance fee.

I'm planning on applying to college and then deferring for a year, and during that year, going up to Norcal and BC and doing a ton of riding. During that time, I'd really like to do some racing, and I want some experience beforehand. I'm in pretty good shape (I wrestle and play Ultimate frisbee).

Do you have any suggestions for me as to how to try enduro out without having to travel very far? I know the answer may just be that I have to go to where the races are, but I figured I'd ask.

Thanks!
  • 09-08-2016
    elsinore
    You actually have some great Enduro opportunities nearby depending where you are in Mass. The second annual Rhodeduro will be held at Diamond hill in Cunberland, RI on November 6th this fall. The ESC season opener was at the same place back in April.

http://m.pinkbike.com/news/vittoria-...hill-2016.html

DH is easy to navigate if you have the trail forks phone app. Keep your eyes peeled for info on the NBX Endurosquad team page for registration info and event updates.

https://m.facebook.com/nbxryaomountainbiketeam/
  • 09-08-2016
    TheAtomicGoose
    I'm in western Mass, so that's not that close, but still closer than the stuff I saw in New Jersey and Vermont. I'm thinking maybe I should just do a lot of riding - maybe go to a race or two - and just making sure I'm in really good shape for next year when I'll be in the area of lots of races. Thanks!
  • 10-03-2016
    crfnick56
    I'm in the same boat as you. I'm down in the middle of PA and with the exception of two races at Blue Mountain the rest are 4+ hours away. I still plan on making it to a few of the ESC races next year though, and just riding my butt off as much as I can until then!!
  • 10-03-2016
    NH Mtbiker
    Check out Highland Mtn in Northfield NH. It has its annual OverMountain series coming up on Oct 23rd....said to be a great event and race!

OverMountain Enduro Race
  • 10-03-2016
    GFreak
    That looks like a great race to enter. I live in WA state but my in-laws live in Williams MA and would love to ship my bike out and race. How far is the race from Williams?
  • 10-05-2016
    leeboh
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAtomicGoose View Post
    I'm in western Mass, so that's not that close, but still closer than the stuff I saw in New Jersey and Vermont. I'm thinking maybe I should just do a lot of riding - maybe go to a race or two - and just making sure I'm in really good shape for next year when I'll be in the area of lots of races. Thanks!

Hello? Thunder mt anyone?
  • 10-05-2016
    TheAtomicGoose
    I know it's there, but I didn't think there were any races there. I'm not really looking for downhill, because I'd have to rent a bike.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
  • 10-05-2016
    leeboh
    Quote:

I know it's there, but I didn't think there were any races there. I'm not really looking for downhill, because I'd have to rent a bike.

What? Enduro, chunky downhill+ some uphills. Downhill, chunky downhills, smooth gaps and drops. Just ride a 5-6" travel bike.
  • 10-05-2016
    TheAtomicGoose
    I guess when I think downhill, I think double crown fork, huge rear spring, etc. My bike isn't that. I do have around 5" of travel, though.
  • 10-15-2016
    crfnick56
    Quote:

Almost all the Enduro races on the east coast, and most everywhere for that matter, are held at "downhill" bike parks. The lines between "downhill" and "enduro" are very thin. I think the average person could handle bike park type riding, which is what you think of as "downhill", with a normal trail/AM bike with 5-6" of travel. Would it be better on a dual crown dedicated downhill bike? Of course!! However, I'm sure whatever bike you have would handle bike park riding and Enduro racing just fine :thumbsup: From what I have seen in videos from the ESC races, they make the stages on your average bike park trail, and seem to avoid the super gnarly downhill sections.

For the record, I take my Stumpjumper FSR to Blue Mountain bike park with no issues and plan on racing a few ESC Enduro with it also.
  • 11-01-2016
    mudforlunch
    Quote:

Originally Posted by crfnick56 View Post
    Almost all the Enduro races on the east coast, and most everywhere for that matter, are held at "downhill" bike parks. The lines between "downhill" and "enduro" are very thin. I think the average person could handle bike park type riding, which is what you think of as "downhill", with a normal trail/AM bike with 5-6" of travel. Would it be better on a dual crown dedicated downhill bike? Of course!! However, I'm sure whatever bike you have would handle bike park riding and Enduro racing just fine :thumbsup: From what I have seen in videos from the ESC races, they make the stages on your average bike park trail, and seem to avoid the super gnarly downhill sections.

For the record, I take my Stumpjumper FSR to Blue Mountain bike park with no issues and plan on racing a few ESC Enduro with it also.

Check out the WV Enduro series: 2016 Enduro Series

Pretty much the most authentic enduro series on the east coast: full epic days in the WV backcountry, on super gnarly steep and fast trails that are world class. No bike parks. I prefer it much more than the ESC races.
  • 11-01-2016
    mudforlunch
    Quote:

Originally Posted by crfnick56 View Post
    I'm in the same boat as you. I'm down in the middle of PA and with the exception of two races at Blue Mountain the rest are 4+ hours away. I still plan on making it to a few of the ESC races next year though, and just riding my butt off as much as I can until then!!

You just missed two Enduros in central PA last weekend, one at Trexler by Schnecksville, and another near State College (Raven enduro). Glen Park enduro is coming up soon near Stroudsburg too. PA is a damn good place to live and race, you're central to everything on the east coast.

Also this: East Coast Enduro | Enduro Mountain Bike racing in the EST
  • 11-02-2016
    MadPainterGrafx
    He's complaining about driving 3 hours to get to a race he sure as heck won't come down to WV to race unless maybe he is on vacation. BTW... I'm looking forward to 2017 with the WVMBA races with my son. We're hoping to make some races next year.
  • 02-28-2017
    lazarus2405
    Quote:

There was an ESC race at Thunder last year. It was pretty fun. I'm sure there'll be one in 2017 too.

Quote:

I guess when I think downhill, I think double crown fork, huge rear spring, etc. My bike isn't that. I do have around 5" of travel, though.
    Enduro courses, even if they're at a downhill bike park, are generally designed for 5"-6.5" trail/AM/enduro bikes. If the stages are on DH trails, they're specifically on blues and single-blacks, avoiding double-blacks. Often the course more technical features (steep rolls, drops, etc) will get taped off and the race course will follow the easier b-line ride around.

You should be fine on a 5" bike. Just put on aggressive, durable tires. If riders feel like they want to race on full DH bikes, the organizers have messed up badly.
  • 01-26-2018
    k2blt
    Eastern States Cup is what you need... Killington, Thunder, Burke, Attitash, etc...