Enduro questions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Enduro questions

Wanting to give enduro a shot. I'm 45 years old falling in the beginner intermediate skill level. Never had great confidence descending on my previous bike. Enduro format looks like a fun all day ride. My concern is the courses I've seen look super technical and hard.
    Does everyone run the same course from beginner to pro?
    Would there be any races recommended for a 1st timer?

I want to try but no lie a bit imtimidated by it.just looking to have fun and ride new terrain
    Arizonachef

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I would spend the season working on your skills. There are some races that are definitely easier than others, but for even the easiest races you would want to be in the upper intermediate level with your skills.

mtbr member
    usually beginner class ride an easier and shorter course compared to sport and upper classes, sometimes even sport class will skip a stage or two compared to the open/pro class.

I would try to sign up to a local race, someolace you can ride before the race using past years courses as a guide to what to expect!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mfa81 View Post

I would try to sign up to a local race, someolace you can ride before the race using past years courses as a guide to what to expect!
    Pretty much this. Pick a specific race you're interested in, look up a previous course, and go scope it out. If you think you'd be able to have fun on those trails, sign up.

There's a huge variation in what "enduro" means in practice between different venues, regions, and race series.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alewi11 View Post
    I would spend the season working on your skills. There are some races that are definitely easier than others, but for even the easiest races you would want to be in the upper intermediate level with your skills.
    x2

when you can ride a course and bang out all the features you can look at getting competitive. until you can perform the race without walking various parts the race is against yourself. gap jumps are my hang up so i feel your pain. drops, tabletops and being airborne, no problem. gap jumps are full commitment. you miss you hurt

mtbr member
    +1 to all the advice above.
    I'm 42. Did a few races back in college but mainly focused on solo riding. I try to do all sorts of riding where I live. This year I've done 3 races, 4th next weekend.
    All I can say is WOW! What an eye opening experience. Every rider I pass by or passes me has my respect. I just love being on the bike. For me it's all about crossing the finish line and proving that I finished it. Not trying to be competitive. Have fun and enjoy a cold one at the after party.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by racebum View Post
    x2

when you can ride a course and bang out all the features you can look at getting competitive. until you can perform the race without walking various parts the race is against yourself. gap jumps are my hang up so i feel your pain. drops, tabletops and being airborne, no problem. gap jumps are full commitment. you miss you hurt
    I have the itch to try an enduro race in 2018, over here in the NorthEast. Not a fan of gap jumps either. Similar to you, I like natural drops and steep chutes. Suppose I better do more research, so i don't sign-up for a race where I'm confronted with a 20' gap, haha. Thanks for bringing that up... would've never thought.