Enduro climbing?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Enduro climbing?

I did one enduro last year and really enjoyed it. I was a bit put off by how much it used the chair lift though. My understanding was enduro is a way to race your DH and pedal the ups which makes Dh'ing much more technical due to the amount of fatigue. Are there races that are like this? or, is it mostly chair riding DH courses and riders.
    If you do something often enough it tends to define you.

beater
    That depends entirely on the event. Some races provide no assistance on transfers, others do. There are too many variables in terms of location, infrastructure, organizers, etc. to give a blanket answer.

mtbr member
    Pretty much what he said ^^^ it all depends on the promoter and the event. The good about having to climb- can access some backcountry areas & really cool trails. And its a different kind of racing if you are measuring your fatigue. The downside-access for larger numbers, that typically brings them into the ski resorts where costs are higher and theres less availability of that terrain to 'ride to'. Some races have balanced it out. Others have just opted to offer more stages in lieu of wait time or transfer time... Getting a few hundred people to pedal an hour long climb on big bikes can take forever to get a stage done.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I am a good friends with one of the organizers of the BC Enduro series. They try and have a variety of climbing in their races. This year they are going to have one Enduro that has vertical 2000m of climbing (about 7000 feet). Others Enduro's will use a chair lift at times.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Checkout the Monarch Crest Enduro. You'll get your enduro climbing fix.

mtbr member
    That doesn't sound much like an "enduro" event. The whole idea of the genre was to be a test of your overall abilities AND fitness. The way I interpret it, you shouldn't be able to win on a DH bike OR on an XC bike --- because you'll be too exhausted on a DH bike and too under-gunned on an XC bike.

The one enduro race I've done featured more than plenty of climbing. I climbed more in that race than I've ever done in an XC race...
    Bikes belong in Wilderness areas.:)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cookieMonster View Post
    That doesn't sound much like an "enduro" event. The whole idea of the genre was to be a test of your overall abilities AND fitness. The way I interpret it, you shouldn't be able to win on a DH bike OR on an XC bike --- because you'll be too exhausted on a DH bike and too under-gunned on an XC bike.

The one enduro race I've done featured more than plenty of climbing. I climbed more in that race than I've ever done in an XC race...
    Are you talking about my comment on the Monarch Crest Enduro? If so believe me you aren't dominating those time stages on an XC bike unless you are a badass and you definitely aren't riding a DH bike on those liaison segments. I thought it was the perfect enduro. You had to have overall mtb fitness to make the climbs and be fresh enough to bomb the timed descents. The timed stages also had some short grunt climbs to keep you on your toes. You couldn't be just a DH shuttle/park guy at that race either because you would suffer on the liaisons. The race was really what I think of for "Enduro". All-around riding skill and fitness preferably on backcountry type trails. Wish I could make it again this year.

mtbr member
    ^^No, I was attempting to comment on the threadstarter's post, and failed. (I hate the way this forum is setup...try as a might, I always accidentally respond to the wrong people.) I more or less think that chairlifts, or at least extensive use of chairlifts, has no place in the enduro format. Some may disagree...
    Bikes belong in Wilderness areas.:)

mtbr member
    The dude that won the MCE 20-30 yo amature group at Monarch Crest was on a hardtail. He was OTB many times and destroyed a rear wheel, but yeah hardtail, MCE. I was on a Nomad and happy for it. I would not have been faster on a HT, and certainly would not have finished well. May not have finished at all on a HT.

And yes, Enduro should be all about the up, and the down. Some lifts/shuttles are fine, but at the end of the day you should have fond memories of endless climbs and stages that were 10 minutes longer than you had the gas for.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cookieMonster View Post
    ^^No, I was attempting to comment on the threadstarter's post, and failed. (I hate the way this forum is setup...try as a might, I always accidentally respond to the wrong people.) I more or less think that chairlifts, or at least extensive use of chairlifts, has no place in the enduro format. Some may disagree...
    Yes, I typically agree with you with the exception of special trails like the Top of The World trail at Whistler.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Monster Truck View Post
    The dude that won the MCE 20-30 yo amature group at Monarch Crest was on a hardtail. He was OTB many times and destroyed a rear wheel, but yeah hardtail, MCE. I was on a Nomad and happy for it. I would not have been faster on a HT, and certainly would not have finished well. May not have finished at all on a HT.

And yes, Enduro should be all about the up, and the down. Some lifts/shuttles are fine, but at the end of the day you should have fond memories of endless climbs and stages that were 10 minutes longer than you had the gas for.
    Yeah, that guy was a legit rider. Talked to him for awhile during our liaison up to Canyon Creek. Like you said it cost him some diggers and blown up parts. I couldn't have pulled it off.

Dirty South Underdog
    This thread makes me chuckle, because I'm pretty sure every BME race last year was largely lift access/resort-based. I had planned on racing, and went to Keystone & Winter Park a couple of times to practice, and figured out that sort of riding just isn't my bag, so I decided not to spend the $$ on racing that way.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea138 View Post
    This thread makes me chuckle, because I'm pretty sure every BME race last year was largely lift access/resort-based. I had planned on racing, and went to Keystone & Winter Park a couple of times to practice, and figured out that sort of riding just isn't my bag, so I decided not to spend the $$ on racing that way.
    Yep. Not mine either. That is why the only BME races I'm doing are Santa Fe and Crestted Butte. Both non-lift events. I really wanted to do Trans-Cascadia and Monarch Crest again but they both fell on the one weekend this fall I'm not available. :-/

mtbr member
    If theres lifts instead of climbing, isnt that just a normal DH race?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Wow all I can say is Boo Effing Hoo! Go and do a whole race series and you will get a taste of all different formats. No one event is going to "The Perfect" ratio of this or that. Get a trail bike get in decent overall shape for DH and XC and race.

I'm with stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by RideMX104 View Post
    Wow all I can say is Boo Effing Hoo! Go and do a whole race series and you will get a taste of all different formats. No one event is going to "The Perfect" ratio of this or that. Get a trail bike get in decent overall shape for DH and XC and race.
    This

Faster climbers fitness guys are always crying about to many shuttles and letting fat DHers make up time and not making it fair. More gravity guys that spend more time working on hauling ass down are always complaining about too much climbing and it might as well be called a XC race. That is the thing about doing enduro events, its open to interpretation and the trails you have access to. I suck at XC and do not have the discipline to get really fit, I suck on full retard DH on big bikes. However surprisingly enough I seem to do quite well at enduro. Don't cry about the layout of a race because it does not fit your idea of how it should be or play to your personal strengths, shut up go put on your own race the way it should be and let others cry. Or just skip the race. The constant pissing and moaning over what everyone thinks a enduro race should be gets old. Stop trying to shoe horn a race style into your personal strengths so that you can be a contender and do well. Do a whole series get a mix of it all and at the end of the season the best all around rider will win.

Frame Building Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    If theres lifts instead of climbing, isnt that just a normal DH race?
    Yes, it's pretty much what DH was back in the 90s (ie, mostly about cornering and pedaling ability, no giant gaps or drops, armor not mandatory, stuff normal people would do and enjoy on their everyday mountain bikes). Then DH sort of became it's own thing and started requiring a lot more money and danger and the participation fell through the floor. Is there even a DH race series in CO anymore? There's a tiny one here in UT but it's dying out fast.

Call it what you will, it's good to see some races where bike handling matters to win that ordinary riders can do without fearing for their lives or blowing $10k on a DH bike. As a grumpy old dude, I would prefer that every event be human power only, but as long as everyone's having fun, there's really not a big issue IMO.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Actually the races in France make extensive use of lifts. Some places it is not reasonable to ask people to climb. If you do more than one race you will find the differences out there. I have yet to see an Enduro course that would be faster on a DH bike even at resorts like Mammoth, Northstar, etc.

No known cure
    I perferred the Ashland 12 Mile Super D where the big climb was qpart of the timed course, instead of the Ashland Enduro where it was a transition to another stage. Now that I think about it, the first year of the enduro was the last time I raced there having entered and did a 800 mile drive to race all previous Super Ds
    Ripping trails and tipping ales