Could my '12 SX Trail be competitive in Enduro racing?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Could my '12 SX Trail be competitive in Enduro racing?

Hey folks,

I've been riding this bike for three years now. There is no possibility of getting a new bike in the near future, but this season I've really worked hard to shed some weight (I've lost 20 pounds since May) and lately have noticed that I'm getting pretty fast. I'd be interested in racing again, and I think enduro is my ideal format. I have done one enduro race a couple years ago and did fine on all the climbs, but suffered on one of the timed stages because it was basically semi-flat xc and I lost a lot of time there.

However, I am perhaps in the best shape of my life right now. Though my SX weighs around 35 pounds, I am climbing pretty fast; I regularly pass people on one of the most popular "enduro" style trails locally, even if they're on XC rigs. Obviously, the bike is fast on descents as well. 35 pounds is considered "behemoth" class by a lot of people these days, but I weigh 190 pounds -- a beefier bike doesn't hurt.

Anyway, I've been thinking about whether it would be worth it to try to shave some weight off this bike in hopes of being somewhat competitive on next year's enduro circuit. I could probably shave 3 pounds by swapping the 36 Van for a Float (possibly a Fox 34 Float) and swapping my Vanilla RC for a CC Double Barrel Air.

Do you think this would even make a difference or should I just try racing the bike as-is and keep focusing on getting stronger and lighter?

FWIW I've got many years' experience racing DH and XC.
    Bikes belong in Wilderness areas.:)

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Until you get to the top end of the sport, it really is more about the rider than the bike.

mtbr member
    If you're still on the original dual ply Butchers, some lighter and faster tyres will save you a lot of hurt in racing provided you're ok with drifting and sliding around.

Other than that, keep riding the bike as is, unless you're looking to win races a lighter bike isn't going to make racing any more fun.

mtbr member
    I'm running Maxxis Highroller IIs, ghetto tubeless. And no, I'm not planning on getting to "the top of the sport" or anything, I just don't want to embarrass myself (I don't think that would happen anyway). Ideally, I'd be happy with a top-10 finish in the expert class or equivalent category at statewide events. I'm friends with a guy who pretty much dominates in all of the state events in the pro class. I definitely can't keep up with him up or down, but I'm not ridiculously far behind him anymore (like I used to be).

I think I will just keep riding the bike as-is. Might get a dropper post, but that's it. I can still lose about 10 pounds before I lose any muscle.
    Bikes belong in Wilderness areas.:)

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cookieMonster View Post
    I'm running Maxxis Highroller IIs, ghetto tubeless. And no, I'm not planning on getting to "the top of the sport" or anything, I just don't want to embarrass myself (I don't think that would happen anyway). Ideally, I'd be happy with a top-10 finish in the expert class or equivalent category at statewide events. I'm friends with a guy who pretty much dominates in all of the state events in the pro class. I definitely can't keep up with him up or down, but I'm not ridiculously far behind him anymore (like I used to be).

I think I will just keep riding the bike as-is. Might get a dropper post, but that's it. I can still lose about 10 pounds before I lose any muscle.
    You'll suffer more on the pedalling parts which might make you more tired for the downhill, but other than that it's FINE.