Can someone explain the basics of enduro racing?- Mtbr.com
    dmo
    mtbr member

Can someone explain the basics of enduro racing?

I've been racing xc for the past several years and want to try an enduro race but am confused how it works.

Is it a mass start like in xc? What are the different stages and how does it all work? Is there a first timer category?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by dmo View Post
    I've been racing xc for the past several years and want to try an enduro race but am confused how it works.

Is it a mass start like in xc? What are the different stages and how does it all work? Is there a first timer category?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Details such as number of stages and categories will vary widely from event to event. In general, though, enduro races are point-to point races using time-trial format with staggered starts. Usually only the (mostly) downhill portions of the race are timed. The results are based on the total accumulated time over the timed stages, not the overall riding time.

We use mass starts if a race begins with a transfer, but the start of a timed stage is always individual by interval.

Most races will have multiple categories from beginner to expert/pro, and maybe juniors and masters. That's just like any other format.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    Usually only the (mostly) downhill portions of the race are timed. The results are based on the total accumulated time over the timed stages, not the overall riding time.
    What happens between stages? Do competitors have to ride to the next stage and is there a certain time they have to be at the next stage?

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    yes,

the riders have to get to the beginning of the next stage (called a transfer stages). some races are 100% pedal power others might use chairlifts or vehicles. and yes you have a specific stage start time (and if you miss it you will get a penalty)

I have Flat Pedal shame.
    You usually have about 4 "stages" which are timed. You finished a stage then casually ride to the next one, wait your turn, rinse, repeat. You are not timed on getting to the next stage, you just have to be there in a "reasonable" amount of time.
    We don't ride to add days to our life, we ride to add life to the days we have left here.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 2zmtnz View Post
    yes,

the riders have to get to the beginning of the next stage (called a transfer stages). some races are 100% pedal power others might use chairlifts or vehicles. and yes you have a specific stage start time (and if you miss it you will get a penalty)
    Not all enduro races have a strict stage start time where you get penalized for missing. The LOCAL ones in Texas are more relaxed and just require you to,be done with the entire race at a cutoff time.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by j1cham View Post
    Not all enduro races have a strict stage start time where you get penalized for missing. The LOCAL ones in Texas are more relaxed and just require you to,be done with the entire race at a cutoff time.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    We do the same thing with our series. We used to have timed transfers with bonuses and penalties, but nobody complained when we eliminated them, not even the fastest climbers. It creates a more social atmosphere at the starts, and gives racers a little more choice on when to drop in.

Were a fairly small event (capped at 100-125 each race) so we can do that. We prefer to keep it that way for the racer experience. If we were much larger wed have to go to strict call-up times and start intervals to keep the field moving efficiently. Thats the way races with 200+ riders commonly work.