Burke Kingdom Enduro - What bike?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Burke Kingdom Enduro - What bike?

I'm looking to enter my first enduro race this year, and looking into the Kingdom Enduro that's part of the Triple Crown Series. Looking for a little advice bike-wise, I have a Scott Spark with 120mm travel and a Scott Voltage FR with 180mm. I know I'm much faster going down with my Voltage, but would be concerned about cutoff times for climbing.

Any advice? Are the cutoff times in enduro races normally pretty generous? Anybody race enduro on a full XC bike or freeride bike?

mtbr member
    How technical are the courses? That should push you one way or the other on which bike. The cutoff times should not be a concern unless you are taking naps on the climbs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    They didn't give a route for this year's race yet, but I looked up last year's and it had a lot of variation, nothing too technical, no mandatory drops. But trails that are definitely quicker on a bike with more suspension. If cutoff times are generally not an issue, I'll be more comfortable on my Voltage for most of the downhill, just might have to push a bit extra going up.

mtbr member
    The climbs weren't even timed last year, but I suppose that could change this year with ESC handling the timing. If the gearing on the Voltage is low enough that you can spin for ~30 minutes up a moderate grade without working too hard then I wouldn't base your decision on it's climbing prowess (or lack thereof).

I'm not sure how advantageous the extra travel would actually be for the KT Enduro (going by last year's course), but if you feel you are faster on it going down the Voltage will certainly give you more margin for error and let you charge some of the hairier sections harder.
    ''It seems like a bit of a trend, everyone trying to make things longer over the last couple of years" Sam Hill

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Voltage

- Rob

well mannered lout
    I wouldn't worry about cut off times, but the Kingdom usually puts in a pedally section or two in the timed runs. Will you be here the day before to pre ride the course?