Brakes optimized for Enduro?- Mtbr.com
    Trail Ninja

Brakes optimized for Enduro?

There seems to be frames, forks, tires, wheels, and various other things optimized for Enduro, but what brake choice is there? Seems like there's considerable room for improvement, esp seeing some running DH brake systems that haven't been updated for 5+ years, maybe paired with trail/AM levers. There's news of Shimano updating their 4-pot brakes for Enduro, even with patents covering it, but they take their time getting stuff released.

I'm sure many riders have no problems with Trail/AM brake systems, but I doubt such people are as serious about cutting every possible second off their times as real Enduro racers. I know that with 8" rotors and SRAM 4 piston calipers, my tires still aren't reaching their limit of braking traction. I don't think there's a gap of technology here... just a gap from the bigger players. The Magura MT7 seems Enduro worthy, being a gravity-oriented brake that's been updated recently and is relatively lightweight.
    "The challenge is not in developing new ideas, but in escaping old ideas."

mtbr member
    I have tried XTR, Guide RSC and Saint. It really depends on the courses where you race. Personally I hated the RSC's since I could never get them to have enough bite and they lacked the ultimate power of Shimano's. XTR's faded on the big courses like Mammoth and Big Bear.

Personally I run and love Saints. Not too much heavier than XTR, but still have the ability to throw me over the front wheel if I really wanted too. My guess is that the new "Enduro" brakes from Shimano will be the XTR Race levers mated to Saint calipers. Some people like this setup to get almost as much power as full Saint, but a little more modulation.

mtbr member
    If I want to I can lock my front wheel pretty easily, SLX with 203mm rotor. I'm not sure in an Enduro round you need a 4 piston brake unless you're a solid build or it's an actual full on DH stage.
    Personally if I was racing at EWS level I'd have Saints purely as I'd much rather have too much bike rather than too little. I don't think Enduro is as hung up on weight as other disciplines.

Sir Shreds-A-Lot
    i use guide rsc. pretty nice brakes overall but they seem to get smoked on extended downhill.s just bought a set of finned pads and we will see if that helps
    first you get good, than you get fast

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    My guess is that the new "Enduro" brakes from Shimano will be the XTR Race levers mated to Saint calipers. Some people like this setup to get almost as much power as full Saint, but a little more modulation.
    Don't you mrzn xtr TRAIL levers with saint caliper ? I think i always see that combo on pro bike instead of the xtr RACE.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by choan View Post
    Don't you mrzn xtr TRAIL levers with saint caliper ? I think i always see that combo on pro bike instead of the xtr RACE.
    I may have it backwards but I don't think so. The Race levers do not have servowave which helps with modulation but also makes them more temperamental since they don't retract as far.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Cheesiest
    I'm using a Magura MT5 in the front and MT4 in the rear. It works great.
    "Paved roads...just another example of needless government spending"—paraphrased from rhino_adv

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I may have it backwards but I don't think so. The Race levers do not have servowave which helps with modulation but also makes them more temperamental since they don't retract as far.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Richie Rude and Graves run/ran this combo. Steve Peat does similar on his V10. Although he goes Full Saint fr/XTR rr.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    get some formula RO's

Live Free & Ride
    If you can find them... SRAM Guide RSC DH!
    17 Fuel EX 9.9 (in progress)
    19 FM 279 carbon gravel
    17 Stache 29+
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r

https://kettleheadbrewing.com/

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I suppose the only option now is lightweight DH brakes, but maybe that's what's needed? I agree with the larger rotors point!
    MTB scientist guy @ mtbphd.com
    Inventor & founder of BrakeAce

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by intheways View Post
    I'm using a Magura MT5 in the front and MT4 in the rear. It works great.
    ^this

have them on my gf's bike and my god do they stop well on 180rotors f&R! I opted for MT5's front and rear since I am a bit heavier than her.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I really like Hope brakes, amazing modulation, so it's easy to avoid locking your tire up when you get tired and start to lose focus, but still have enough power to stop you fast with one finger.

@2whlfun
    Aug 2008
    I built up my SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29er with the new Code brakes and they are much stronger that Guides.

mtbr member
    I have tried XTR, Guide RSC and Saint. It really depends on the courses where you race. Personally I hated the RSC's since I could never get them to have enough bite and they lacked the ultimate power of Shimano's. XTR's faded on the big courses like Mammoth and Big Bear.

Personally I run and love Saints. Not too much heavier than XTR, but still have the ability to throw me over the front wheel if I really wanted too. My guess is that the new "Enduro" brakes from Shimano will be the XTR Race levers mated to Saint calipers. Some people like this setup to get almost as much power as full Saint, but a little more modulation.
    x2

i could just be use to shimano but the XTR trail is my go to. if i was faster and running major parks like whistler and northstar it would be saint. XTR held up really well at bachelor

other thing to consider is total weight in motion. rider + bike at 250lbs is much harder to stop than rider + bike 175lbs

my real bitch with guide ultimate which i tried is they come on really gradual then grab. totally different sensation from shimano. maybe if you ride sram a lot you will get use to it but i never did. they were stock on my fuel but the bronson was on XTR. now both the bronson and fuel ex are on xtr 9020

XTR or even XT is a great brake imo for most situations. you can xc, trail, enduro and light DH

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by seadersn View Post
    get some formula RO's
    I will second this. Hands down the best brake I've ever ridden. Amazing power and incredible sensitivity/modulation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I'm not a racer, but I do try my best on enduro like sections, and I just went with the Magura MT Trail carbon brakes. It' the M7 4 piston caliper up front with the M8 large 2 piston caliper in the rear. I mated it to 180mm rotors. I weigh 177# before gear and am a bit of a weight weenie as long as I don't sacrifice performance.

The reasoning for mismatched calipers is that due to limited traction in the rear anyways when descending that a 4 piston in the rear overpowers the front resulting in mismatched braking power. To be clear that rear 2 piston caliper is large for only having 2 pistons, really large. Obviously wheeled vehicles generally utilize a larger front brake system than rear for this very reason.

My previous XTR brakes (in the past) have gotten a bit hot on my 'enduro runs' around here and overheated completely at Angel Fire.

I think this upgrade will be impressive for local riding and I'll just bump up to 200mm rotors when I make it back to AF bike park.

It's raining and I just got them installed yesterday so have not ridden them yet.

I look forward to reading others responses.

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
    I'm not a racer, but I do try my best on enduro like sections, and I just went with the Magura MT Trail carbon brakes. It' the M7 4 piston caliper up front with the M8 large 2 piston caliper in the rear. I mated it to 180mm rotors. I weigh 177# before gear and am a bit of a weight weenie as long as I don't sacrifice performance.

The reasoning for mismatched calipers is that due to limited traction in the rear anyways when descending that a 4 piston in the rear overpowers the front resulting in mismatched braking power. To be clear that rear 2 piston caliper is large for only having 2 pistons, really large. Obviously wheeled vehicles generally utilize a larger front brake system than rear for this very reason.

My previous XTR brakes (in the past) have gotten a bit hot on my 'enduro runs' around here and overheated completely at Angel Fire.

I think this upgrade will be impressive for local riding and I'll just bump up to 200mm rotors when I make it back to AF bike park.

It's raining and I just got them installed yesterday so have not ridden them yet.

I look forward to reading others responses.
    Sounds about right, I found my rear Saint brake to be too powerful as well and dialed back the power by adjusting the reach inwards. Definitely go with the biggest front rotor though.