BME Steamboat 2016- Mtbr.com
    I'm with stupid

BME Steamboat 2016

Who is in? Anyone done this one before? What are the trails like? I will be racing blind on this one.

mtbr member
    Looks like all new trails will be ridden in the backcountry. Cool. The bike park is fairly tame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm with stupid
    How rough is the park compared to keystone? I'm trying to decide on which bike to bring.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

mtbr member

BME Steamboat 2016

The tracks we rode in the bike park (forgot the names) were nothing like Keystone's gnarliness. Flowy, smooth with an occasional climb. The do have a "Rainmaker-esque" trail too.

mtbr member
    Looking forward to this one, and excited about the new backcountry trails. Most of the trails are tame there, but I wouldnt underestimate "Rawhide" trail, that thing has some gnarly lines & some really tough sections, especially in a few corners

mtbr member
    Super stoked for Steamboat. I'll be getting in late Wednesday and looking to practice the BC trails Thursday and Friday am, afternoon riding lifts. Gonna be a great get away weekend and a nice tune up for CB. Not super stoked about the drive home to Durango Sunday night and an early am at work...price to pay.

Anyone want to shuttle send me PM. Tundra/ Northshore Rack.
    Making a poor choice while riding is still a good choice

mtbr member
    Super stoked for steamboat! I've raced the steamboat enduro x races for the last two years and have thoroughly enjoyed rack one! The backcountry stages will actually not be brand new trails as they had hoped. They couldn't get them done in time. Instead, we'll be racing trails that have never been raced before. I hear the four BC stages should be really fun.

The trails on the resort are a blast! They are tamer on the most part from keystone's gnarliest, but rawhide is no joke, flying diamond (I think it's called?) has some pretty big jumps. Creekside is a lot of fun, and rustler ridge is a really long flow trail. Etc, etc.

One of the biggest differences from keystone is the dirt. It's actual dirt. Keystone has crushed granite and gravel everywhere, but steamboat has more actual soil.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Just rode in steamboat yesterday and found that the soil is really dry right now. I think it will be gravely and loose for the backcountry day

I'm with stupid
    Is there a hotel or camp site that most of the racers use? I have never been there and have no idea how close things are and what is good or not.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    O

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I plan on just sleeping in my truck in the parking lot or something. Last year a few of us just pitched tents in the upper lot on the pavement & packed them up each morning. It wasn't comfortable by any means (parking lot is lit + asphalt) but got some sleep at least.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    How spectator friendly will this one be? My gf is thinking of coming...

Also are there aid stations between staged to fill up on water/etc or are we bringing everything on our bikes/persons.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by .thumper. View Post
    Just rode in steamboat yesterday and found that the soil is really dry right now. I think it will be gravely and loose for the backcountry day

Looks like may get some rain up there during the day friday hopefully. Should set things up nicely for a good weekend of racing!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sprocketjockey9 View Post
    Looks like may get some rain up there during the day friday hopefully. Should set things up nicely for a good weekend of racing!
    Yes, a bit of rain would certainly be welcome!

I'm with stupid
    No way! I want it scary loose and super fast and beat and blown out like keystone so I can wreck a lot again!

mtbr member
    Yay gonna race the tracks blind again! This new job is a fun sucker...boo
    99% of the problems and questions posted here would be answered if people actually walked into a bicycle shop and asked

mtbr member
    You'll still crush it! Stoked to see you there

mtbr member
    Definitely stoked. Gonna be a nice weekend
    99% of the problems and questions posted here would be answered if people actually walked into a bicycle shop and asked

I'm with stupid
    Who is in what class and bike so I know who to look out for. I'm in the 30+ vet class. With either a silver and blue enduro or a black canfield riot. I cannot decide on bike since I have not ridden there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    Who is in what class and bike so I know who to look out for. I'm in the 30+ vet class. With either a silver and blue enduro or a black canfield riot. I cannot decide on bike since I have not ridden there.

I'm in the masters class with a green Intense Tracer with an Elevensix shock.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Can someone give me the rundown on the differences between Vet expert 30+ vs. Amateur 30-39?

mtbr member
    I'm Masters. Green helmet, blue Wreckoning. Vet is for old pros/ experienced racers. Amature is everyone else.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    In, Black Spec Enduro with yellow Ohlins coilover in masters 30+. My first time riding in Steamboat.
    Last edited by artnshel; 08-17-2016 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Fat fingers

mtbr member
    Vet 30 is for guys not yet 40 and who don't want their butt kicked by a 23 year old maniac.

Rocks belong

canfield riot

let the big wheels roll... it'll be a fast course. my buddy raced it last year on a Following
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    So does anyone have a good plan for pre-ride shuttling? I'm trying to sort it out but don't have any good local maps.

I'm with stupid
    I don't have a line on it so far. I won't be able to preride today. Getting too late of a start to get up there in a timely manner. But tomorrow is my plan. I just have to decide to ride the back country stuff, or the park. Don't know how long of a loop the back country stuff is with a shuttle.

mtbr member
    Here's some info on the backcountry stages (1-4):

Without a shuttle, you can ride it in about 3 hours at a casual pace. To do so, park in the Lower Bear parking lot (you can find it on trailforks.com). From there, I'd suggest you ride up the Lower Bear trail itself instead of attempting to find the transfer; I would just recommend yielding to descending riders, since that you may be climbing stage one. To get to the start of stage 1, climb 1.5 miles until you see a trail shooting off on the right (that will be the transfer climb). From there, simply follow the stages.

The trailforks app and trailforks.com has good info on these stages.

To do a shuttle, park a car at Lower Bear, like I mentioned, and also park a car at the bottom of Red Dirt. That's where the shuttle will be picking us up on Saturday after stage 4.

mtbr member

19-39- green & blue Giant-Reign 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Monster Truck View Post
    I'm Masters. Green helmet, blue Wreckoning. Vet is for old pros/ experienced racers. Amature is everyone else.
    Uh oh gonna be fastas**** on those big wheels!

mtbr member
    Not sure fast will cut it. With the dust, I think there may be more traction on the trails in winter...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Monster Truck View Post
    Not sure fast will cut it. With the dust, I think there may be more traction on the trails in winter...
    Yeah, it's loooooose out there right now! We're getting rain now just outside of Steamboat Springs, so I'm hoping the trails are getting some moisture. They could sure use it!

I'm with stupid
    That was a ass kicker of a day! Should have brought my xc bike.

mtbr member
    That was a ass kicker of a day! Should have brought my xc bike.

Yeah xc bike for sure! The guy leading our class is on his Stumpjumper. Smart move.

mtbr member
    Wish I had my xc legs today.

mtbr member
    Really fun weekend. Great mix of courses. If I was asked which enduro a person should start with the Steamboat race would be at the top of my list. Doesn't get gnarly until the last stage and by then you've done a lot of riding.

mtbr member
    Please explain why these "Backcountry" stages saw so much grooming of the brush along the sides? I live here and these trails are now like a golf course. Do riders ask for this? The trails seem to have held up ok, but this cutback sucks if you like riding ungroomed singletrack.

Why is cutback of 18-24 in needed? I race XC on ungroomed trails, why can't enduro riders?

mtbr member
    If you live there then ask Hightower. He can answer. I liked it because it exposed all the hidden pedal smashing rocks.

I'm with stupid
    I liked it also. Many were racing these back country stages blind. Opening up the sight lines for those speeds is a safety call. If you know the trails well it is not a big deal since you know where rocks are. But at race pace with never seeing the trails before having hard sight lines is a concern. Remember most of the guys in the faster end of the competition are going down hill bike speeds. Which is quite a bit faster the xc bike speeds.

mtbr member
    I guess my point is that all racers get the same course, and brushy undergrowth is a fact of backcountry trails. Either you can ride them or not. If the brush is removed it just makes for faster speed, and more skidding into the corners. More brush would lower speeds, but not make any riders faster than another so the results would remain the same. If you ride a DH course blind, you should expect a more prepared rider to beat you. I've been dropped by locals at the Growler that knew lines I didn't, it's a fact of racing.

I guess I'm just peeved that our local club has been dumbing down trails all over the Yampa valley with their brush hog. It's lame to see golf course grooming on Emerald, HotSprings, Mad Creek, Reddirt, Sunshine, Pete's...That growth will not be back this year, and I personally love riding trails that are grown up and brushy.

To be certain, I just want to understand the logic, I'm not against this event, or do I think the event damaged the "trails", just my enjoyment of their backcountry nature.

To cite "safety" for racers to go faster in a DH speed event seem ironic. If you are concerned about your safety you obviously are not "balled" enough to win. just say'n

mtbr member
    Not "balled enough to win"? Really? And with that this thread is now done! Great racing and thanks to everyone at Enduro X for a great race.

I crashed hard in practice, finished the race and am on the fence for CB. Hope to make it and see you all there.

Monster Truck out.

mtbr member
    I'm just having some forum fun, for the record, I've got XC balls and just lycra shorts so I don't even show up to these events.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbsbiker View Post
    I guess my point is that all racers get the same course, and brushy undergrowth is a fact of backcountry trails. Either you can ride them or not. If the brush is removed it just makes for faster speed, and more skidding into the corners. More brush would lower speeds, but not make any riders faster than another so the results would remain the same. If you ride a DH course blind, you should expect a more prepared rider to beat you. I've been dropped by locals at the Growler that knew lines I didn't, it's a fact of racing.

I guess I'm just peeved that our local club has been dumbing down trails all over the Yampa valley with their brush hog. It's lame to see golf course grooming on Emerald, HotSprings, Mad Creek, Reddirt, Sunshine, Pete's...That growth will not be back this year, and I personally love riding trails that are grown up and brushy.

To be certain, I just want to understand the logic, I'm not against this event, or do I think the event damaged the "trails", just my enjoyment of their backcountry nature.

To cite "safety" for racers to go faster in a DH speed event seem ironic. If you are concerned about your safety you obviously are not "balled" enough to win. just say'n
    Speeds are not going to drop because sight lines are shorter, it will just be more dangerous. It is hard to comprehend how fast the class leaders are going until you see it in person. The last thing they need is serious rider injuries because of overgrown trails.

I'm with stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    Speeds are not going to drop because sight lines are shorter, it will just be more dangerous. It is hard to comprehend how fast the class leaders are going until you see it in person. The last thing they need is serious rider injuries because of overgrown trails.
    This

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    I think for some speed would drop, for others maybe not, thus my "balls" comment.

It isn't the rider with the highest speed, that wins, it's the rider with the lowest time.