BME Sport Division- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2009

BME Sport Division

BME just announced a new sport division...not sure of the particulars, but it sounds as though they're trying to encourage newbies.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I signed up for the sport class at Santa Fe. Not real sure what to expect. I went to an enduro last year in West Virginia and had a crash in pre ride and did not get to try the actual enduro. Not sure which tires, etc to run there. I just moved to Durango from Ky. So I have been riding some of Northern NM to get out of the snow. Any tips?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Santa Fe is a great race, but it's definitely one of the more difficult races. The terrain is pretty challenging and the race in years past has been fairly long and taxing. I'd get out to Glorietta and ride beforehand if it all possible and ride as many of the trails as you can.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by alewi11 View Post
    Santa Fe is a great race, but it's definitely one of the more difficult races. The terrain is pretty challenging and the race in years past has been fairly long and taxing. I'd get out to Glorietta and ride beforehand if it all possible and ride as many of the trails as you can.
    I've only ridden there once, and am a novice rider to boot....but, I will say that there is no lift service, and the pedal transfers are the real deal. The tracks are killer, and definitely worth the effort. Awesome venue though....

Fragilie
    At the very least, I'd run double downs as a few tracks there are pretty rocky. The last two years I ran full on DH casings in the rear and DD in the front. DHF and a DHR, I thought they worked well.

As others stated, pre ride pre ride, especially if you want to do well. A couple of tricky sections that can make or break you literally.
    It's Better To Die On Your Feet Than To Live On Your Knees. (Emiliano Zapata)

mtbr member
    Yeah Santa Fe has probably the toughest tracks of the BME races. Definitely punishing on bike and body but oh so fun. Really good riding there.

I'm a little bummed it's a two day race this year. Just makes logistics a bit tougher as preriding there is a really good idea.

I did Aspen last year blind and that was manageable although of course a handicap, would not want to race Glorietta blind.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Hi Straydawg, I'm signed up for the sport division at Santa Fe too. I'm going to race alone so if you want to meet up to give each other moral support let me know. Also my first Enduro race. I rode at Glorieta yesterday and the terrain is definitely pretty gnarly. Lots of rocks and drops but most of the really crazy stuff has a B line so you can bypass it. I thought it was mostly manageable except for a run called Janker DH which was extremely steep and extremely loose. That being said, they're supposed to exclude the most technical terrain for the sport class according to the BME website. I'm also taking the Enduro Prep Course that's being offered on Thursday so I'm hoping that will help.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Hey thedude22, yeah that would be awesome! I'm doing the ride clinic Thursday too. Look me up on messenger Rob Lootens. Im camping and planning to leave Durango heading for Glorietta weds afternoon. I have just been back from Moab for a week and healing some bruised ribs and a dislocated finger. But should be good to go. Rode Saturday at Phil's world and felt great.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I’m signed up in Sport for their next race. Thoughts from those of you who raced this category so far? This is my first “real” enduro so no idea what to expect.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    It depends on the venue. in Santa Fe they excluded the steepest and most technical stages from the sport division but I can tell you that they were still what most people would consider "advanced". 2 of them were mostly smooth with some drops and features and one was pretty rocky with one very large drop. Look up "chili dog glorieta" on YouTube. There are lots of videos. That was the most technical stage for the sport division at the santa Fe event and it'll give you an idea of what you're up against. What event are you signed up for? Aspen?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by thedude22 View Post
    It depends on the venue. in Santa Fe they excluded the steepest and most technical stages from the sport division but I can tell you that they were still what most people would consider "advanced". 2 of them were mostly smooth with some drops and features and one was pretty rocky with one very large drop. Look up "chili dog glorieta" on YouTube. There are lots of videos. That was the most technical stage for the sport division at the santa Fe event and it'll give you an idea of what you're up against. What event are you signed up for? Aspen?
    Even the "B" line at the Chili Dog drop is sketchy for many riders, especially after several days of getting ridden. All the rocks covered in slick powdered dirt....I've seen just as many eat it on that as the drop! I wonder if the other stops on the BME list are as "advanced" for the Sport class?

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Yep, Aspen

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I'm not sure. But as above chili dog even the B line was challenging. Just did the Abajo enduro and loved it. Challenging but rideable even for more intermediate riders.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    With the 2020 season stops announced, I am have a couple of questions, or maybe passing thoughts. With Angel Fire added to the schedule, and with it being a two day race....the web site states the cost includes the lift passes. Well, not to sound ungrateful, but with the Sport class only racing one of the days, I am curious why the price is the same? Second question is.....just wondering, which tracks do you think the sport class won't have to do? World Cup? Candyland? Etc.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    That's interesting, I hadn't looked at 2020 pricing yet. IIRC last year, Sport was cheaper when racing only 1 of the 2 days.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I had only checked Angel Fire, but I suppose I could be mistaken. I will check again.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Oh man, I just checked, and the Sport division is less.....I could have sworn it was the same price. Sincerest apologies!

Any thoughts on the trails they will choose?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Agar426 View Post
    Oh man, I just checked, and the Sport division is less.....I could have sworn it was the same price. Sincerest apologies!

Any thoughts on the trails they will choose?
    Ok....I wasn't crazy. Last night I went to the "registration" page, and saw that the Sport division was $99, $109 starting in January. But....if you are on the event page, and click on "pricing," it's different, and that's where it shows the tiered pricing, starting at $199 and progressing to $240 as time goes by, but doesn't differentiate it it by class. Again, my apologies on the confusion.