BME Glorieta Questions - Grom Class Centric- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2009

BME Glorieta Questions - Grom Class Centric

I also posted this in the NM section, as I wasn't sure where the proper place was, or which area got more traffic. My apologies if I broke forum rules.

My son is 16, and while he's been riding since he could stand, he is new to mountain bikes, but is advancing very quickly. He handles blue trails pretty easily, and has no problem attempting black diamond trails, although he will get off and walk if necessary....although when he has to walk, it's usually cuz he was in the wrong gear on a climb, or that type of thing. Occasionally, he will walk a tough section, but he actually likes the challenge of the technical sections. When we ride together, he will seek out the roughest line, while I seek out the easiest line. He is nowhere near ready to begin racing, but I noticed that the BME series states that riders of any age or skill level can participate. I even noticed that there is a "grom" class, which is what would be the best fit I believe. If it matters, he's on a 2017 Transition Patrol.

I've watched some of the videos of the trails in Glorieta, and they look pretty rough. Are the courses modified for the younger or less experienced riders, do they merely go slower, do they run fewer stages, etc? My son wants to sign up, but I want to make sure it is even an option. The BME website states that the courses can accommodate all levels, but....I have a hard time believing they would go out of their way to set up different courses?

Also, how does it work? I noticed the practice day is Friday.....which is a school day for my son, finals week in fact. So, getting out to practice on Friday may not be an option. Is this a non-starter right off the bat? To be honest, we're not looking for him to be competitive....just finishing would be success for us.

At the very least, we will attend as spectators. Do you have any advice in that regard? Are these events spectator friendly? My son would absolutely love to see all the riders he's been watching on Youtube!

Thank you!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Yeah this is not the race for your son to dip his toe in the racing waters. I've raced a lot enduros and the Santa Fe race is definitely on the more challenging side of things for both endurance and technical skills. As far as practice, you can definitely ride Glorieta on days other than the official practice day. I believe you just have to sign a waiver. The course will be similar to past years. I honestly don't know the details of the Grom class, but I don't remember there being any course differences last year from category to category.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by alewi11 View Post
    Yeah this is not the race for your son to dip his toe in the racing waters. I've raced a lot enduros and the Santa Fe race is definitely on the more challenging side of things for both endurance and technical skills. As far as practice, you can definitely ride Glorieta on days other than the official practice day. I believe you just have to sign a waiver. The course will be similar to past years. I honestly don't know the details of the Grom class, but I don't remember there being any course differences last year from category to category.
    I agree on the difficulty of the area! The videos look rough, and GoPros tend to make thinks look mellower than they actually are. I can't seem to find any info on the Grom class, or anything to qualify their statement "Any type of rider can race a BME. From amateurs to the top level pro racer, our courses suit all abilities and offer challenges for every caliber of rider, including juniors. Those racing a BME event will walk away a stronger, more confident rider, while building new friendships and camaraderie along the way." I have sent them a couple of emails, as well as to the Glorieta Camps folks.

The reason I am zoning in on this is because it's close to home (Los Alamos). There is also a race 10 min from home at Pajarito for the Rocky Mountain Race Series, but it's not an enduro format, it's XC, STXC, Slalom, and DH.

We will be there either way, as we planned on going as spectators.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    OK.....I heard from the coordinator on the Glorieta side, and he stated the Grom class is doable, as it is 3 stages instead of 4, with Jagged Axe being left out, and there were "A" and "B" lines, although he could still end up walking some. Gonna see if we can ride it this weekend to get a feel.

mtbr member
    I wanted to chime in here: if they are including the Janker DH course with the groms, I recommend proper armor and full face. That trail...where to begin....

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks for the update! I didn't realize that I had an error in my last post. I stated that Jagged Axe would be left out. What he actually said was the the most technical stage would be left out, so I just assumed Jagged Axe. Who knows though, as I heard this year's course will be different, so it all remains to be seen.

Ends up, however, that it won't matter either way, as my son is nursing a concussion from an OTB on the Perimeter trail up here in Los Alamos....actually, it was right at the tail end before it turns into the Rendija trail.

We will be there as spectators though!

Up here in LA, they are prepping Pajarito for the Rocky Mountain Race Series stop this coming weekend, Fri-Sun. They are building a brand new dual slalom course....their Instagram feed shows a pic of the machinery cutting the track.

mtbr member
    Oh wow, sorry to hear that!

I look forward to see what develops at Pajarito this year, the LA Enduro a few years back was great.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    Oh wow, sorry to hear that!

I look forward to see what develops at Pajarito this year, the LA Enduro a few years back was great.
    No worries....the doc says it's a "mild" one. Shopping for a new helmet....

Agreed! I am pushing 50, and just getting back into it after a 16+ year layoff, and I wasn't that great to begin with. I'm getting into it so that I can ride with my son, who is already much faster than me. Dammit! LOL! Anyhow, agreed on the Pajarito comments, as it's close to home and if they are able to build it up to be a strong draw, that would benefit us all. The LBS would benefit, and hopefully the town trails would develop further......good thing all the way around.