Which bike?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Which bike?

New Racer
    Aug 2014

Which bike?

I'm looking to buy one of these three enduro bikes. Yeti SB6C, Pivot Mach 6, or the Scott Genius 700 Tuned. There is some variation in price, but the bikes seem pretty similar not counting geometry. All specced well, all Fox suspension and some variation of components. For the SB6C species with X01 it's about 7,400 bucks. The Scott I've found is 9000ish? The Pivot is 6,200 dollars with X01. Any advice on which one? How many of you would go for the Yeti with ENVE wheels over the Scott? Thanks in advance.
    Edit: also the weights of the bikes differ. Not enough to matter?

There's always next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Exall77 View Post
    I'm looking to buy one of these three enduro bikes. Yeti SB6C, Pivot Mach 6, or the Scott Genius 700 Tuned. There is some variation in price, but the bikes seem pretty similar not counting geometry. All specced well, all Fox suspension and some variation of components. For the SB6C species with X01 it's about 7,400 bucks. The Scott I've found is 9000ish? The Pivot is 6,200 dollars with X01. Any advice on which one? How many of you would go for the Yeti with ENVE wheels over the Scott? Thanks in advance.
    Edit: also the weights of the bikes differ. Not enough to matter?
    If you're spending that much cash, the most helpful response is probably that you need to get some saddle time on each of these bikes, or at the very least bikes/frames with the similar geometry as the three you're looking at, whether its demo days or asking the local shop to help you out. I gotta believe if they know you're willing to throw down that kind of cash, they could help you out.

I wouldn't worry about the component differences as much as the geometry and suspension differences from each ride. Sadly, from my personal experience, thats the difference between LOVING and tolerating a bike you bought. I've never been personally let down by the stuff hanging off of a frame, but when looking at geometry... that's a different story.

I'm not an Euduro guy, but I'd also suggest giving more background on yourself if you do need internet feedback before purchasing if you can't get any demo rides. What kind of rider are you? Where do you spend most of your riding time? What's the expected use for this bike? All of those things would help people who have ridden these three give you better feedback.

My 2 cents...

New Racer
    Aug 2014
    Yeah, I will have the opportunity to test these bikes over the next few months. My LBS has all of the brands I mentioned so I'll get to ride them, possibly on trail as well. Thanks Padre.

mtbr member
    Personally I would say SB6c out of those. Had the Mach 6 and it was a great bike, but the front center was a little short and the seat tube a little slack. No experience with the Scott, but I did have an SB5c for a short while. Suspension action was awesome, I just wished I had waited for the 6c!

New Racer
    Aug 2014
    Update, I had been kind of eyeing the YT Capra for a while, but as I couldn't demo a bike in Cali since I live in Ohio, it was out of the picture. I did some geometry comparison and the Yeti SB6c and the YT Capra are pretty similar.The Yeti is slightly longer (larger wheelbase) and with a longer top tube. Another thing to consider is I want a relatively short chain stay, the YT is shorter. I'm going to demo the Yeti, and maybe the Pivot and then decide from there whether or not to buy the much cheaper YT. Also, thanks Sales, I did see that the Pivot was significantly shorter. Me being a bit on the tall side I think the Yeti or YT would be a better fit.

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    The Pivot is more of an all-arounder than more dedicated "enduro" bikes, that's why it's not as long. It's just going to be a touch more nimble at lower speeds and less stable at high speed.

My Mach 6 served me well at the Super-D and Enduro races I've done this year, and the 1200+ miles of mild to wild "regular" biking I've done on it since Dec. Make your decision based on a combination of the suspension design you think works best and price vs. components. DW-link is killer on SW technical riding.