Armor for enduro races- Mtbr.com
    Cheesiest

Armor for enduro races

Hey all,

I'm looking to do some enduro races this summer and am curious as to the armor and pads people use. Right now, I'm using G-form stuff, but with plans on racing at Northstar, I should probably use something burlier. I previously used Roach Armor for DH, but it seems like there is much better hybrid armor available.

My thoughts are knee, elbow, and spine.

What are others using?
    "Paved roads...just another example of needless government spending"—paraphrased from rhino_adv

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I'm currently racing the Socal Enduro and I've been wearing my Race face Flank knee/shin guards. Some may say it's a bit over kill for what I'm racing but we pay good money to race and I want to make sure that if I fall, i'll still be able to finish. The one advantage with the Flank is they fit like slide on knee pads but the back completely opens up, which makes them able to be taken on and off without removing your shoes. They tend to be a little warm but with a little down time between stages you can easily air them out. And if you carry a pack you can easily carry them in the pack and put them on before the actual timed stage.

As far as elbow pads I normally wear my Fox launch enduros. Not the most padding but better than nothing. I'm pretty picky when it comes to the fit of elbow pads and I just havn't found anything else I feel comfortable in.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Question.

Do most run with two helmets?
    Proper DH full face, and a lighter normal helmet

Or run a lighter full face and just deal with it?

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    At the few races I've been to most people just wear there normal helmet. And the majority of the people wearing full face ride up with out their helmet on. They're not supposed to do that but no one seems to enforce it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I use my Bell Super 2R helmet with the chin piece removed during the climbs. For pads POC all day, expensive but great quality.

Cheesiest
    Thanks for the replies. I have a Super 2R I plan on using.

I've been looking at the Dainese and POC pads and padded packs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Paved roads...just another example of needless government spending"—paraphrased from rhino_adv

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    If the event requires the use of a certified full face, i believe the bell super doesn't count?

Not that I am racing, but I've crashed a few times on Ixs Cleavers knee-shin pads and they offer fantastic protection. Not that much movement restriction, but can get a little hot on the climbs. Plus need to take shoes off to put them on/take them off. In addition they are in the upper price bracket for pads.

Cheesiest
    Quote Originally Posted by LinkyPinky87 View Post
    If the event requires the use of a certified full face, i believe the bell super doesn't count?

Not that I am racing, but I've crashed a few times on Ixs Cleavers knee-shin pads and they offer fantastic protection. Not that much movement restriction, but can get a little hot on the climbs. Plus need to take shoes off to put them on/take them off. In addition they are in the upper price bracket for pads.
    I have no idea what the rules are regarding helmets, but I might need a full face

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    after my recent experiences I would be using a bell super or met parachute as a minimum.

however the parachute is certified.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I've tested my Super 2R several times and it's saved my face plenty. I trust it. If the race allows the its perfect.

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by agroman2001 View Post
    At the few races I've been to most people just wear there normal helmet. And the majority of the people wearing full face ride up with out their helmet on. They're not supposed to do that but no one seems to enforce it.
    Depends on the race and how it's managed and insured. We definitely enforce it.

Most people I see are wearing knee pads. Not that many elbow pads, and body armor is rare. Half shell and full face helmets are about 50/50.

It's a balancing act. Wear what you'll be comfortable in. If it gives you some peace of mind to wear more than you would on a typical ride, go for it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I guess the more you wear the more confident you are of pushing harder?

I know if I was only wearing a basic helmet tho, I prob wouldn't be sitting here with a broken wrist.. as I would have girl'd out and gotten on the brakes.

mtbr member
    @agroman2001 and others

how do you feel about the wrap around style pads for races? Are they secure enough compared to others? I'm assuming while it's a big advantage for trail riding you wouldn't be removing your pads during a race other than lowering them for the transitions

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mfa81 View Post
    @agroman2001 and others

how do you feel about the wrap around style pads for races? Are they secure enough compared to others? I'm assuming while it's a big advantage for trail riding you wouldn't be removing your pads during a race other than lowering them for the transitions
    My race face pads are really secure for a wrap around pad. They have two sets of straps, inner straps that are made of a comfortable neoprene like material and then outer elastic straps. It allows you to get a secure, comfortable fit. They're comfortable to ride in the entire race and if you race with a pack it's easy enough to take off and put on the pack.