Alloy race wheels- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Alloy race wheels

If you were going to build a purpose built enduro racing 29'er wheel set what's your rim choice? Doesn't seem there's much out there labeled for enduro that has a 30mm ID.

I was thinking maybe an EX471 rear for a 2.3 and then a Xm481 with a 30mm ID to take advantage of running a 2.5 on the front.

Opinions?
    Last edited by Streetdoctor; 02-17-2017 at 06:45 AM.
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    I have just done specifically that (build a purpose-built enduro racing 29er wheelset). I really, really like Stan's Notubes Flow MK3. I am very hard on wheels and tires and these take a ton of abuse. I have considered possibly going carbon this season, but listed weight of strong enough (IMO) comparable carbon rims are about 15g per rim lighter. Not worth risking carbon, IMO.

The Flow MK3's are light (527g), wide (29mm internal), strong, laterally stiff and vertically compliant. I have smashed the crap out of these and have yet to actually dent one. I normally dent an aluminum rim within a month or so. I just can't say enough good about these rims. I raced with these rims since they came out last season and plan to race them all this season.

They are also relatively inexpensive, so if I do actually manage to dent one, it's a small investment to throw a fresh one on there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Easton Arc 30 or Spank Spike Race 33

mtbr member
    I don't have personal experience with the Easton Arc 30, but I have close friends who do and their feedback is that they were a little too soft and dented very easily. IMO, not a good choice for a race wheel.

And I don't see that they make the Spank Spike in a 29" rim.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by .thumper. View Post
    I don't have personal experience with the Easton Arc 30, but I have close friends who do and their feedback is that they were a little too soft and dented very easily. IMO, not a good choice for a race wheel.

And I don't see that they make the Spank Spike in a 29" rim.
    My bad, I didn't realize this was for a 29" rim. I have the Arc 24's that I have run on a AM hardtail and a Knolly Warden C and they have held up great. Granted I weigh 150 lbs and don't have a plow riding style so my experience may differ from other riders.

Fragilie
    I have that exact set up,EX471's are bombproof.
    It's Better To Die On Your Feet Than To Live On Your Knees. (Emiliano Zapata)

mtbr member
    Ended up finding a pretty killer deal on a slightly used set of XM481's with i9's. If the rear blows up I'll swap to a 471
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    several of the guys on my team are running the new RaceFace Turbine R wheels, having switched from carbon back to alum. I've only heard good feedback so far.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    If you were going to build a purpose built enduro racing 29'er wheel set what's your rim choice? Doesn't seem there's much out there labeled for enduro that has a 30mm ID.

I was thinking maybe an EX471 rear for a 2.3 and then a Xm481 with a 30mm ID to take advantage of running a 2.5 on the front.

Opinions?
    WTB Frequency I29 or Asym I35 up front with Asym I29 out back.

The Arc's mentioned below don't hold up in my experience and from what i have seen of other using them.

Fragilie
    XM 481 EX 471 and be done with it!
    It's Better To Die On Your Feet Than To Live On Your Knees. (Emiliano Zapata)