1st Enduro, which bike?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2015

1st Enduro, which bike?

I've got a few bikes, I'll have two with me for Sport class. I've never raced DH, only a little XC and snow.
    The two candidates are a '16 Fuse Expert 27.5+, Likely with the stock Scrapers and tubeless GC's rather than the pretty carbons I just built- and the classic '98 Haro MX3 DH whip that I converted to 2x9 with Saint M800 brakes on EQ31 rims and 4-bearing hubs.
    The Haro is no "uphiller", but it does have the gearing to get there, and a great suspension- Judy XL and a Fox Float RP23. It's fun to show on a vintage 26er, but there is the question of tubes, too.
    I'm not going to win this thing, this is for fun- but I'm not looking to suffer either.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'd do the fuse. The Haro is going to be out of it's element with all that climbing & you'll more than likely blow up the Judy if it hasn't blown yet.

Depending on the length of the enduro race the hard tail is going to help keep your legs alive.

That being said, if you know the terrain & think one would be better than the other by all means pick your favorite.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I ran the Fuse- fell down once, no damage- and didn't "send it" over a few features I wasn't prepared to ride.
    That said, I had fun. Full squish would help on some of the terrain, but I'd welcome the chance to do it again.
    Need to work on those technical descents.
    Did I mention I won a set of tires in the drawing, after finishing 2nd to last?