You guys making any changes to on the bike nutrition for 2019?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

You guys making any changes to on the bike nutrition for 2019?

I have decided that I need a radical change to my on the bike nutrition this upcoming season. I can't drink enough to keep all of my calories in the bottle. My guts get full and gross feeling if I put too many fluids in. For that reason I always seem to start falling behind around hour 4. Gels also didn't work for me, also by hour 4 with those I started having to gag them down.

I'm thinking I need to experiment with whole foods maybe? What are your guys' plans?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    For me, whole foods only work at the top of LONG descents, because of no significant digestion at race pace (but all my races have been of the style: big climb followed by big descent, then repeat).

I do fine with about 26 ounces of liquid (heat dependent, of course) and 225 or so calories per hour, plus a favorite bar or two during the event when I reach summits. Great way to celebrate completing the major climbs in a 100!
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Whole dates for quick energy, figs for longer works for me. I throw them in a ziplock with some nuts and eat. I also use this recipe (for races), which, for me, is really easy to digest and gives quick energy:

Date Bar recipe
    1 1/2 c rolled oats (lightly toasted, about 15 min @350 or in pan on low-med)
    1 1/2 chopped nuts (walnuts, cachews)
    1c raisins or dried fruit ( blueberries/appricots)
    1c dates
    1c coconut
    1/4 flax seed
    Dash salt

1- blend dates and fruit to a paste (may need to add water to dilute)
    2-mix the rest with the paste
    3- add to a baking pan and press (to about 1" thick) and put in fridge to set
    4- cut into 1-2 bite squares and wrap.

Change the fruit for different flavors. I also add a sprinkle of ground espresso for flavor (great with raisins).

mtbr member
    "Full and gross feeling" That sounds a lot like your over shooting your needs. The human body can only process 225 -250 calories a hour and that depends on a perfect delivery (correct osmolality). As endurance racers we are screwed before we start, sooner or later we will go into a deficit and all we can do is attempt to manage lean muscle loss. Depending on your glycogen stores, did you carb load and hyper hydrate the day before and a whole other host of factors will dictate when you begin to go into that deficit.

This year was a big learning curve for me on all matters nutrition , I spent a lot of time speaking with the peeps at Tailwind to help dial things in and they were a HUGE help in my plans for 2019.
    Nuun Ambassador 2017/2018
    Honey Stinger Ambassador 2018
    Facebook Blog "Run with me"
    Instagram @Run_withme1972

mtbr member
    May 2005
    More figs. More cookies from our local health food store (really dense oatmeal, or peanut butter cookies...they are a nice dangling carrot motivating me along to the next 2-4 hr interval). Backing off some of the TW consumption and adding in Enduralytes (Hammer Nutrition Fizz tabs mixed with water) after 8+ hrs of riding. I'll know if any of this is working around hours 30 through 40 this weekend...if so, it's 2019's new nutrition plan

livin' the dream......
    I did a 30 mile ride yesterday, fueled on fig newtons and Nuun electrolytes. I like the ease of reaching into the jersey pocket and picking out a 50 calorie snack, but toward the end, felt a like it was heading toward a bonk, and glad the ride was over.

I think adding in some fat along the way will help balance things out. I have used F-Bomb on trail runs, and a few rides and like that I feel 'full' but not bloated. I think the combo of newtons, f-bombs and nuun may be a good combo. More experimenting to do!
    Less f*cks to give every passing day, use them well. - geraldooka

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by tjkm View Post
    I did a 30 mile ride yesterday, fueled on fig newtons and Nuun electrolytes. I like the ease of reaching into the jersey pocket and picking out a 50 calorie snack, but toward the end, felt a like it was heading toward a bonk, and glad the ride was over.

I think adding in some fat along the way will help balance things out. I have used F-Bomb on trail runs, and a few rides and like that I feel 'full' but not bloated. I think the combo of newtons, f-bombs and nuun may be a good combo. More experimenting to do!
    “F” bombs as in cussing yourself out when you’re dragging during the ride?
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

Student of the Bike
    You've received some good practical advice. Nutrition is so personal, and sometimes debated, that these thread can devolve pretty quickly.

My suggestion is 2 fold: 1) Experiment in the offseason to see what works. Use that time to develop options you can use during your actual race. 2) Listen to your body. I believe that as athletes, our bodies will (within reason) crave what it needs/wants.

For me, I found that I needed both water and an electrolyte drink each. If I drank too much electrolyte drink I began to feel over sweetened. But if I drank too much water, that I didn't feel as refreshed and obviously missed out on the replenishment. So now I carry a bottle of each and just consume as my cravings (and experience) dictates.

Foodwise, on really long events I run a bento box on my top tube and fill it with gels. Caffinated on one side, then non-caf on the other. I set a timer on my watch to countdown from 50 min. I usually skip the first alarm, and then begin consuming gels at the 1hr 40min mark. As the race goes on if I feel over-gel'd, then I'll take in something else at the alarm (cliff bar, cliff blocks, kind bar). Then deep into an event, say 5+ hrs, I'll usually find I need something more solid. Quite often, I'll carry a small PB&J or snickers bar, but I also L-O-V-E me some mini-pecan pies from the convenience stores. Therefore, as long as I could bring along this combo with me, I could take this nutrition up to 10hrs with not much issue.

*FOOT NOTE* This past year, I've moved over to a Ketogenic eating style so the above methodology has been thrown out the window. But I didn't want to open that can of worms in this thread.

Cheers,
    CJB

mtbr member
    I've had success with Hammer's products. I mix a 4 hour concentrated bottle of Perpetuem as my fuel and add in 1 gel per hour as needed/desired (usually expresso flavor because it's not sweet). I set a timer for 15 mins to remind me to fuel up. For hydration I use Electrolyte Fizz tabs in a hydration pack (grape is best). I just repeat that process every stop (3-4 hours) and never crave "real" food. That has been great for me on my 100 MTB (9:00 hours) and 4+ hour events. Perpetuem can be for some an "odd flavor" that may take a few to get used to, but most importantly its not sweet. That is a nice change from gels, electrolyte fizz and most other on the bike nutrition when you get oversaturated with sweetness.

I am experimenting now during my base phase training (2:30-4:00 hour rides) with:
    *Perpetuem solids,
    *gummy blocks (4 different flavors),
    *Hammer bars,
    *Honey Stinger Waffles,
    *Natures Bakery Fig bars,
    *Electrolyte Capsules (so I can drink plain water)

What I'm finding so far is that when my heart rate is elevated (tempo zone and above) I don't want to chew anything. Even late in my endurance rides "food" seems so unappealing. Even gummies seem like too much. Never have stomach issues but I guess I just prefer to have all liquid/gel nutrition as normal "eating" seems forced. Also, plain water seems so.... well, plain. I don't like it and would prefer to have some flavor when I drink, if for nothing else other than it decreases my RPE.

Since nutrition is so individual I'd say try everything. I'd just suggest try it at the pace (zone) you plan to race it at. I can eat a meat lover's pizza when I'm out for a ride with the boys or playing around on my local trail. Come race day however give me liquid nutrition only.
    2018 Scott Spark RC 900 World Cup | “If you’re not first you’re last”

livin' the dream......
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    “F” bombs as in cussing yourself out when you’re dragging during the ride?
    Ha! No, there is an actual product call F-Bomb. Think of your typical gel pack in terms of size, but it is basically 200 calories of fat & some protein. I tried the macadamia nut version, and liked it.

I ordered on line through their website, but the product was picked up by Whole Foods, so there is another option to purchase it.
    Less f*cks to give every passing day, use them well. - geraldooka

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Regarding the NUUN electrolyte tabs dissolved in water, anybody else find these leave you with a dry mouth shortly after drinking? I like that the flavor is mild, and I had no issues with electrolytes over the course of 43 hours of riding. I don't recall experiencing this during the first 10-12 hours, it was more noticeable after ~20 hours. By hour 36, I quit using the NUUN tabs altogether and finished the ride with Gatorade.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VegasSingleSpeed View Post
    Regarding the NUUN electrolyte tabs dissolved in water, anybody else find these leave you with a dry mouth shortly after drinking? I like that the flavor is mild, and I had no issues with electrolytes over the course of 43 hours of riding. I don't recall experiencing this during the first 10-12 hours, it was more noticeable after ~20 hours. By hour 36, I quit using the NUUN tabs altogether and finished the ride with Gatorade.

I have never had that issue with NUUN , NUUN Performance did leave me a little thirsty but it is a Amped up dosage made for workouts 90 minutes plus and its noticeably heavier when drinking.
    Nuun Ambassador 2017/2018
    Honey Stinger Ambassador 2018
    Facebook Blog "Run with me"
    Instagram @Run_withme1972