NedwannaB

Whiskey Off Road 50

So is the 50 mi track an Endurance event, or just a looonng XC race? How should a 55 yo Rec Sport Racer plan for something like this? 29HT or FS? Salsa marketing says my Spearfish is the go-too machine. What say you?
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

informant
    50 miles off-road is an endurance event no matter where you ride. Regular 1-3 hour rides to improve your cardio and leg strength are good, but a long ride every weekend will really boost your endurance. Surprisingly, it's the less crucial muscles that give out first...like your neck, lower back and arms. Too many beginner endurance racers make the mistake of focusing only on their legs.
    Quality bike lights for after-dark trail adventurers.
    www.LuminTrek.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LuminTrek View Post
    50 miles off-road is an endurance event no matter where you ride. Regular 1-3 hour rides to improve your cardio and leg strength are good, but a long ride every weekend will really boost your endurance. Surprisingly, it's the less crucial muscles that give out first...like your neck, lower back and arms. Too many beginner endurance racers make the mistake of focusing only on their legs.
    That said, 12 miles of this is downhill on a fireroad, and 12 of it is uphill on the same fireroad. Of the 50 miles, about 20-25 of it is on pure singletrack. I think a HT is ideal...
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    It's a tough 50 miles. I'd recommend to most a 29er HT since the course is mainly fireroads. Gears would make the climb out of Skull Valley less painful. But, there will be plenty of single-speeds out there I'm sure.

As far as training, people are certainly going to vary, if nothing else, get comfortable with long climbs. The road out of skull valley is 12 miles if I'm not mistaken.

<a href=https://www.google.com/imgres?q=whiskey+off-road+map&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&biw=1299&bih=789&tbm=isch &tbnid=fX53BHEQq6LRyM:&imgrefurl=https://xxcmag.com/archives/1462&docid=Dw6rwpAB5VLQnM&imgurl=https://xxcmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/2011-Whiskey-MAP-50.jpg&w=1575&h=1012&ei=_GQoT_nWOMfA0AGf1pysAg&zoo m=1&iact=hc&vpx=392&vpy=157&dur=1277&hovh=180&hovw =280&tx=173&ty=113&sig=103626926508244355675&page= 1&tbnh=129&tbnw=200&start=0&ndsp=22&ved=1t:429,r:1 ,s:0> Whiskey 50 Map </a>

NedwannaB

Great info all

Quote Originally Posted by stevland View Post
    It's a tough 50 miles. I'd recommend to most a 29er HT since the course is mainly fireroads. Gears would make the climb out of Skull Valley less painful. But, there will be plenty of single-speeds out there I'm sure.

As far as training, people are certainly going to vary, if nothing else, get comfortable with long climbs. The road out of skull valley is 12 miles if I'm not mistaken.
    Yeah I singlespeed alot, and think that's probably what I'd ride if doing the 25, but think I'd be over my head on it coming back in from the SV section.

I've enlisted a strong endurance racer out here for some general help who's going to give me pointers and a routine to get into. I should be able to get a couple 1-3 hour rides in during week (including one training ride with fast kids on local HS Mtb Team) plus a longer one on Sat. And/or access to spin classes on most Sundays, or if weather prohibits outdoor riding during week.

So now for ideas on tires. With out running the server dry with every brand, whats a dependable 29r tire for conditions on this course?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by JMac47; 01-31-2012 at 09:59 PM. Reason: typo

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Specialized LT Fast Trak

NedwannaB
    Thanks. Yeah I have those, and Ground Controls, was considering but they're Sworks and may be a little lite on the sidewalls.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Anything with sidewall protection. 260 trail can tear up light tires if you bomb it.

NedwannaB

Thinking Reg LT Fast Traks

Quote Originally Posted by newoldskool View Post
    Anything with sidewall protection. 260 trail can tear up light tires if you bomb it.
    Or Wolverines may be pretty compatible in sidewall protection. I'm a light rider but that 260 may prove a challenge with anything lite.

Thanks for tips.

Jmac (shamelessly keeping bump going for this race interest)

jms
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Or Wolverines may be pretty compatible in sidewall protection. I'm a light rider but that 260 may prove a challenge with anything lite.

Thanks for tips.

Jmac (shamelessly keeping bump going for this race interest)
    Did it two years ago.

Line up EARLY. The race starts with a paved climb that turns to a dirt fireroad, that turns to a hugeass bottleneck where the singletrack climb begins and optimism, fitness, enthusiasm, and reality intersect. Be prepared to walk behind people, while others behind are certain they can still win it if they just get past you.

The singletrack rolls for a while then turns decidedly downhill and fun! If you've got the chops it's all completely rideable, but, there are a couple switchbacks that are entertaining if you've got traffic in front of you.

Doubletrack climb to the descent and turnaround of Skull Valley. This is going to be 25 miles of your 48 mile race. There's an aid station at the bottom. It's fast down and a LONG way back up. You'll climb a bit more after you get out of Skull Valley. Singletrack descent on 260 is fun but rocky in places - you can kill tires here. I used a Nobby Nick/Race King set up tubeless. If I were to do it again, I'd run something like a WTB Prowler front and Hutchinson Python or WTB TCS Nano rear tubeless, there are thorns and rocks that can make a hash of your race.

Some doubletrack and then some techy singletrack climbing and descending, be prepared for more traffic. then on to pavement in to town and the finish. Be prepared for any kind of weather, it can change fast up there @ Prescott. Here's a picture from the campground @ Granite Basin two days before the race.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Whiskey Off Road 50-p1020334_2.jpg  

My Favorite Peeps:

NedwannaB
    Thanks jms. So where's all the traffic coming from after Skull Valley? Is there that many doing the 50? I'd think the 25'rs would have been long by that time.

mtbr member
    Thanks jms. So where's all the traffic coming from after Skull Valley? Is there that many doing the 50? I'd think the 25'rs would have been long by that time.
    Sunday Cycles will have a Keg where the 25ers converge with the 50ers .
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    You will run into quite a few back of the pack 25 riders once you start the decent from Skull Valley back into town. Have patience, have fun, and have some humor....you'll need it. Don't blame the 25 mile riders, they're out there like 98% of the other riders, just riding for a good time.

NedwannaB
    So it's a humbling route! And a kegger, at mile 37? Oh my....

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I am from Colorado and I am hoping someone who has done this race can answer a few questions for me.

-Does this race typically sell out?
    -Is it worth a 8-9 hour drive to do, considering all the good races in CO? The course sounds so so but to be honest the town and the race scene sounds pretty cool, so thats my main reason to make the drive to do it.

Thanks for your help.

Carnivore
    I haven't done the race but I've supported a pro racer friend and can say that the race scene is quite fun. It is a big 3 day event right downtown where all the historic bars are. To make the trip really worthwhile just tack on an extra day or two of riding on the Black Canyon Trail (although it could be getting hot by then... or snowing) or Sedona or many of the other really great trails in the Prescott area. There will be piles of locals to meet and show you around.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Thanks for the reply gila monster. That is a good idea, maybe I will add a couple of days and stop by a local shop and get some trail advice. Sounds like fun except for the 9 hour drive with a 1 and half year old baby.

Carnivore
    I've done a lot of traveling with my daughters since they were newborns. Both did their first wilderness backpack trips at 1 month of age. (They have a tough mom) Here's the secret. Keep them fed well but NO SUGAR OR CHOCOLATE while in the car! It can make them crazy hyper. I'll never forget a drive we made back from Estes Park CO when my daughter was 1 year old. We thought it would pacify her if we gave her some candy. Not good. The opposite is true when they are older and going hiking or biking. You still need to keep them well fed but also let them eat all the candy they want. You can keep a kid going a long time on chocolate!

SHU
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I think Jms had a great description of the race. Now quit obsessing over it Jeff. The climb out of Skull Valley is sometimes called "the sodomizer" and it seems to kill me every time I race it. I'd recommend finding some 1.5 hour plus climbs that you can ride at the mid point of a fairly hard ride. You also have to be able to pin it from the start so you are not stuck in the line of traffic at Pearlstein. Todd is making some changes this year to TRY to minimize the waiting, but with that many riders it is a challenge. I run Specialized Fast Tracks and they work fine. Relax and have fun. We are not getting paid for this. Shu

NedwannaB
    Heh I've been relaxing over a few weeks on it.
    Will be in touch.

mtbr member
    Hitting this race for the first time. Can any single speeders speak up about gear ratio? I ride a 29er HT and ride 32/20 in Santa Fe, NM. Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    You'll see everything from 32x17 to 32x21. I used to ride quite a bit in Sante Fe and if you can climb say, Rio De Media or Windsor with a 20, you'll be fine with it on the 50 miler.

Got a suspension fork
    So is the 50 mi track an Endurance event, or just a looonng XC race? How should a 55 yo Rec Sport Racer plan for something like this? 29HT or FS? Salsa marketing says my Spearfish is the go-too machine. What say you?
    I rode my rigid single speed last year in the 25 and am doing the 50 with the same bike.

Rigid or hard tail is just fine, no need for FS on this course.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by SSweetleaf View Post
    Hitting this race for the first time. Can any single speeders speak up about gear ratio? I ride a 29er HT and ride 32/20 in Santa Fe, NM. Thanks
    I rode 32x20t last year and am doing 32x21 this year - but it's a very individual thing.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

NedwannaB
    Yeah getting ht ready. It will be more ready then I.

NedwannaB

Last edited by JMac47; 04-25-2012 at 09:13 AM. Reason: typo

Members who have read this thread: 0