What are you using to keep sweat out of your eyes.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

What are you using to keep sweat out of your eyes.

The past few races have had me sweating a lot as it warms up here in Texas and I'm having a hell of a time keeping sweat from leaving dirt trails on my sun glasses and running into my eyes constantly.

Any body have any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I use a Halo headband: https://store.haloheadband.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I use the sweat buster, it's not perfect. But it's the best solution I've found yet. I still can't wear glasses while climbing though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by ManxShred View Post
    Have one of these and absolutely love it.

I am Walt
    Halo and Headsweats and Under Armour skullcaps.
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info! I have a friend I was just talking to about this also recommended a Halo...

mtbr member
    Halo II , couldn't recommend this more. simply works.

https://store.haloheadband.com/Halo-...dband-p/hp.htm

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Ive been wearing a halo II for about a year, Im also in texas and I can sweat enough that it will overcome it to some degree, I have found that lifting your head up every so often will let it drain more towards the back.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    cycling cap under helmet - I like the small visor on them and keeps the bugs/tics out of my hair and takes care of sweat

Student of the Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleinTexas View Post
    in Texas and I'm having a hell of a time keeping sweat from leaving dirt trails on my sun glasses and running into my eyes constantly.
    You haven't seen anything yet! Its yet to even get moderately hot, its only going to get worse. I use the Halo 2 headbands also, but it doesn't stop the sweat all together. But it is better than not using one. Frequently I start my ride with glasses and about 1/2 ay thru they move to being slipped into my helmet

Whiskey Alpha
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by ManxShred View Post
    Same, and love it!

LDC is ded,deth by trollz
    Nov 2015
    I used the halo 2 for awhile until i tried a cap under my helmet that has the material coolmax. Way better imo. Pulls the sweat away from your forehead and drips off the bill of the cap. The halo gets saturated and eventually leaks into your eyes.
    Ill be out riding, youll still be trolling mtbr. Mtbr, where people who dont ride come to pretend they do.

Rent this space for $

What are you using to keep sweat out of your eyes

My couch.

As long as I'm using it, I never have sweat in my eyes.

Beyond that, A SweatVac tech fabric cap goes under my helmet and just like my couch, sweat has never been an issue.

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    My couch.

As long as I'm using it, I never have sweat in my eyes.

Beyond that, A SweatVac tech fabric cap goes under my helmet and just like my couch, sweat has never been an issue.
    That's the solution if you have short or no hair. It also keeps you from getting tan lines from your helmet vents.

I went from UA caps to Pearl, the pearl caps don't have an elastic band like the UA does...which is more comfortable.

eri
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by richde View Post
    That's the solution if you have short or no hair. It also keeps you from getting tan lines from your helmet vents.

I went from UA caps to Pearl, the pearl caps don't have an elastic band like the UA does...which is more comfortable.
    My sweat burns my eyes like lava. The burning hurts much more than the hardest intervals. I modified a bandana with a bead of silicone and that helped until bandana was soaked but then the liquid found a way.

I bought the dang halo 2 at rei, seemed really expensive at the time, was by far the greatest pain reduction for me. Fell apart after 2 years and I ordered a 2 pack. I'm dependant on it!

The halo is a thin band with a barrier to keep sweat out of the eyes, a simple mechanical solution.

Wrt sweatvac... Doesn't it stop working once saturated?
    the truth is always a gift because it offers the recipient of that information the chance to change the outcome - Grace Choi

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Best luck with a Nike skull cap, but I really dislike the extra warmth.

Never really found a solution, and tried them all, over the years.
    Whining is not a strategy.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Halo II and Halo Skullcap.

Headsweats skullcap not good enough even in Autumn (this afternoon).

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Two thumbs up on halo headband. Hint: they last a lot longer if you rinse them with fresh water after every ride to get the salt out, then hang to dry. I am a heavy sweater, and I carry a small towel in my chopped off water bottle in bottle hanger on front triangle. The towel is easy to get to for wiping off sweat off your face when it get too obnoxious. Finally, I use a neck sun blocker neck sun blocker (The Nek Vizor - Sports & Outdoors). I find that I sweat much less when the sun is not directly shining on my neck while pedaling. Also rinse neck blocker after every ride. Happy sweating!

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    [QUOTE= halo headband.[/QUOTE]

just as a 'heads' up here... the halo band with built-in sweat dispenser wiper thingy give me an absolutely RAGING HEADACHE on rides longer than 2+ hrs at high intensity.

I wear it inside out and I have no problems. That little rubber wiper restricts blood flow through a vein and it is like a dagger!

Anyone else ever experienced this?

I sweat a ton, I've tried everything but it never fails the glasses end up off and my eyes sting terribly. Having contacts only compounds the issue.

UGH.

mtbr member
    ^^^ Try the Sweatbuster, mentioned above. Traxfactory.com. Company is owned by a MTBR user.

It doesn't pretend to redirect sweat away like Halo, it just absorbs sweat. And it absorbs a lot. Then you wring it out, and keep going.

If you sweat a ton, Halo's just get saturated and then sweat runs past the rubber thingy via the fabric, into your eyes. I found Halos to be completely useless once saturated no matter how often you wring them out. I'd have to carry 2 or 3 on a ride and swap them out, letting the used ones dry.

I do have to stop and wring out the sweatbuster, but once I do it resumes absorbing sweat and I can keep going. It won't eliminate dripping but you'll have much less of it. I've started wearing a bandana over my head under the helmet and that has helped even more.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Interesting! The Original Sweat Buster - 2 Pack Navy Blue | Sweat Buster | Trax Factory

I think I'd die when racing in 90+ degrees with that thing in my helmet though.

After having kids and seeing what diaper does in water...

mtbr member
    I've been using them for over 5 years in Socal. No problems with heat for me. Not an expensive mistake if it doesn't work for you...

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    Best luck with a Nike skull cap, but I really dislike the extra warmth.

Never really found a solution, and tried them all, over the years.

I wish I didn't agree, but I haven't found one either. Halo didn't work at all for me.

Coolmax skullcap helps for a bit, but once saturated it's all the same.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I've been using the Pearl Izumi Ride Transfer Lite headband with moderate success. Swap it out every couple of laps/hours - assuming you have a lap race. I'll wring it out and hang it off the bars to dry out mid-ride if need be.

Probably no magic bullets for this stuff

edit to add the amazon linky -

https://www.amazon.com/Pearl-iZUMi-T...b_title_sports

eri
    mtbr member
    When my Halo's band finally detached I glued it back on with rubber cement. It didn't stick for even half a ride and as soon as it was displaced my eyes were full of sweat. I thought this was an example of how the wiper kept the sweat out of my eyes, it drips off my chin and cheeks but doesn't go in my eyes.

Was thinking about this thread as I rode yesterday... "Gee, maybe its to do with face shape or something, because I sweat a lot and the halo seems like 100% solution for me." Ha.

That ride was 2 hours of warm sunny riding and then returning there was a thunderstorm and 45 minutes of rain. The rain overwhelmed the halo and I had the MOST TOXIC SWEAT ever going in my eyes. Felt like I was being shocked it hurt so bad, I couldn't hold my eyes open to see. Had to stop multiple times in the rain to wipe my eyes and wring out the band.

So I guess the halo isn't perfect after all. It was a complete fail last night.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I seem to remember a head band called Gutr. It was soft gummy plastic with a channel for the sweat to run down at out the sides

EAT MORE GRIME
    sweat doesn't sting my eyes unless I use shampoo or the wrong soap in my hair

otherwise, I let it in my eyes. no problemo

but when I have used shampoo earlier, wow, stings till I am blind
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I just checked. Gutr is on Amazon. Iím a techtard or I would link it here

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveo View Post
    I just checked. Gutr is on Amazon. Iím a techtard or I would link it here
    I'm a heavy sweater and my sunglasses get covered in sweat/salt stains every ride to the extent that it tangibly reduces visibility. I've tried many different products over the years and almost all of them work decently effectively but only until the point where they get saturated. After that, you'll need to ring them out if you want it to have much use. How long this takes depends a lot on how much you sweat and the relative humidity, but if it's hot and humid they saturate within an hour for me typically.

I was initially excited about the Gutr for the reason that it's based entirely on redirected sweat and has nothing to saturate, but I've tried it a number of times over the years and it just doesn't seem to work for me.

I have found no product in this category that just works for me without caveats. I've generally settled on Halo II's as the least bad option, they are significantly better than wearing nothing, but I still have to stop and wring them out and clean my glasses on any ride of appreciable length.

mtbr member
    Update:......

I gave the Halo II a try...around 9 miles and it reached its saturation limit as well as the pads in my helmet..

So the plan for the 24hrs is just to squeeze the living daylights out of everything after each 12.5 mile lap..while grabbing full water bottles
    Last edited by DaleinTexas; 05-15-2018 at 03:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleinTexas View Post
    Update:......

I gave the Halo II a try...around 9 miles and it reached its saturation limit as well as the pads in may helmet..

So the plan for the 24hrs is just to squeeze the living daylights out of everything after each 12.5 mile lap..while grabbing full water bottles
    If you have the time to remove and squeeze a halo, why not just have a fresh one waiting to swap out instead?

I usually just stick with one for racing, but on casual rides I'll usually get a clean halo every couple of laps.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coke View Post
    If you have the time to remove and squeeze a halo, why not just have a fresh one waiting to swap out instead?

I usually just stick with one for racing, but on casual rides I'll usually get a clean halo every couple of laps.
    That's good idea..

mtbr member
    I'm bald and from FL and the halo 2 has never let me down. The whole design is to redirect the sweat from over your eyes to exit between your temples and front of ear not absorb it like a sweat band. Which is how its always worked for me. Never had an issue with the band becoming saturated. Only thing I can figure is you guys with hair are having drainage issues because your sidburns clog the exits... I wear it just above my brown and then the back part is is angled lower so the channels drain via gravity.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by jahkneefive View Post
    I wear it just above my brown and then the back part is is angled lower so the channels drain via gravity.

The only way that can happen is if your head is tipped incredibly far back -- think recumbent rider. Look at any cyclist's position (including your own) and you'll quickly see that all of our heads are tipped forward at least a little, which prevents the drainage you think is happening.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Halo works well for me. A couple of times I realized the hard way how well the rubber band channels sweat when I didn't get in centered on my forehead well and had a stream running in one eye.
    2017 Guerrilla Gravity Pistola XXL
    2017 Rocky Mountain Element XXL
    2016 Specialized Fuse Pro XXL 29er

Student of the Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by tgarson View Post
    I have found no product in this category that just works for me without caveats. I've generally settled on Halo II's as the least bad option, they are significantly better than wearing nothing, but I still have to stop and wring them out and clean my glasses on any ride of appreciable length.

These are my findings 100%.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tgarson View Post
    I was initially excited about the Gutr for the reason that it's based entirely on redirected sweat and has nothing to saturate, but I've tried it a number of times over the years and it just doesn't seem to work for me.
    I had high hopes as well. But it either didn't seal well against my forehead or maybe it wouldn't drain because my riding position has my head tilted too far forward as Mikesee mentioned. Either way, it didn't work at all.

The only reason the Halo worked a bit better is that it can absorb some sweat. I know that's not what the design is intended for, but I've never had the rubber band direct sweat away like it's supposed to. It just absorbs until saturated, and then it is useless.

Anyone who says Halo is the "least bad" option should try the sweatbuster. It doesn't pretend to do something it doesn't. All it does is absorb and hold sweat. And it can hold quite a bit. Wring it out, and it will absorb more. It works.

mtbr member
    Back when I wore Pro Tec skateboarding helmets at the skatepark, all that foam and stuff I side would soak up sweat then you could lean forward and touch your squeeze your helmet against your forehead and the sweat would just squeeze out.

Mountain bike helmets typically donít have anything built in that soaks up sweat. Yíall have made some great suggestions.

Elitest thrill junkie
    We got a freebie in the race-kit at the Whiskey Off Road last year that included a stick-on sweat band. It was a strip of plastic with a channel in it that you stuck to your forehead (adhesive) and it would just make everything drip down the side of your face. Damn if it didn't work pretty well. The problem is it's a disposable item, but sweat was pouring during that race.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

high pivot witchcraft
    I'm back using Halos. Not perfect but MUCH better than nothing at all. And better than everything else I have tried.
    2021 Norco Bigfoot VLT 1
    2020 Kona Unit

2019 Forbidden Druid
    2018 Kona Honzo ST 30th BDay SE
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon Fixed Gear

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Halos are way to tight for my head, I end up with a severe headache and a lasting indentation on my head for many hours. It also doesnít work.

Junk Bands have been amazing. I place them right in my eyebrow line. That is the key.

I have no hair, so I rely on the Junk band to absorb a lot of sweat which it does. It was a total game changer for long rides in Texas Summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Learned how to race with sweat in my eyes, only option racing XCM in south FL.
    -DC, just some XC Bum from FL in NW Arkansas

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I picked up a SweatVac Ventilator Cap when I was ordering stuff from HammerNutrition. I like it.

Cheers,
    Mike

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    I had high hopes as well. But it either didn't seal well against my forehead or maybe it wouldn't drain because my riding position has my head tilted too far forward as Mikesee mentioned. Either way, it didn't work at all.

The only reason the Halo worked a bit better is that it can absorb some sweat. I know that's not what the design is intended for, but I've never had the rubber band direct sweat away like it's supposed to. It just absorbs until saturated, and then it is useless.

Anyone who says Halo is the "least bad" option should try the sweatbuster. It doesn't pretend to do something it doesn't. All it does is absorb and hold sweat. And it can hold quite a bit. Wring it out, and it will absorb more. It works.
    Since this old thread was revived, shout out that you were 100% right. I gave Sweatbusters a try shortly after you posted this and have been using those ever since. Itís still not foolproof, nothing is but these work the best of any product Iíve tried.

As you said, the band in the Halo doesnít actually direct sweat away and the neither does the Guttr. The best these types of products can hope for is sheer absorption and the Sweatbuster is much for effective at that than the others.