What do you do the weekend before a big race?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

What do you do the weekend before a big race?

Just curious -- What do you do the weekend before an "ultra-endurance" race?

The weekend before the 24 Hours of Laguna Seca, that Saturday I rode about 25 miles of dirt at a fast pace, with the focus on climbing. The next day, Sunday, I did a hilly road century ( http://home.comcast.net/~prathman/VS63A.htm ) at a moderate/fast pace followed by tapering intervals throughout the following week and I felt pretty great for the 24 Hour race, doing much better than expected for my first solo attempt - placing 2nd in the Mens Solo.

Now, the Cascade Creampuff 100 is coming up. However, the 12 Hours of Weaverville is the previous weekend. I'm already commited to the CCP100, but the 12 of Weaverville has been a race I've been looking forward to ever since it's announcement.

My concern is whether the 12 Hours of Weaverville will hurt, or help my CCP100 attempt, given that the week between the two will be an easy ride week of rest and recovery in preparation for the CCP100.

After the 24 Hour race I did experience slight muscle loss, but not much. Mostly I lost fat and water weight (about 7lbs total). The next weekend after the 24 hour race I went on a 75 mile dirt ride with focus on long sustained climbing and I felt pretty good until about mile 60 when the fatigue started to kick in. After that I felt pretty toasted. But felt pretty much fine the next day.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I was leaning toward this too.

I'm also doing the CCP and wish this one was two weeks before rather than a week before, I've heard nothing but great things about Bigfoot events and courses, very grass roots and fun. Unfortunately, it's just too close for me to recover, not even including the driving, preparing, etc. required. They have Humboldt later in the year and I plan on doing that one.

mtbr member
    I love the Team Bigfoot events. I solo'd the 12 Hours of Humboldt last year. What a blast!!! A super fun race, and awesome course. I love the little twisty singletrack bits mixed in. Very fun.

I was thinking as far as preparing goes, that I could pretty much leave everything piled in the living room after the 12 of W since most of it will again be going to the CCP100.

My only concern is whether I'll be recovered or not.

Last year at the 12 of Humboldt I was hurtin' the next day but I had suffered some serious cramping during the race. A few days later I felt fine. But I only did 9 laps (8 that counted - I finished late). About uhh... about 90 miles I think?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I am usually pretty wiped out after long races. It takes me about 2 weeks to fully recover. If you have good recovery I say go for it, but I would decide which race is more important and go easier on the least important one.

My wife and I are doing the Creampuff also. Have you guys done the Creampuff before? This is going to be our first time, and we are hoping to get to pre-ride the course the weekend before the race to see what we got ourselves into.

Apr 2004
    Nothing says you have to hammer out every lap. Go for the experience, go for the atmosphere, go for fun. Do a hard lap and coast for two. Take longer breaks. Find someone to go duo with you. There are a lot of ways that you can have a good time without letting it all hang out on the course.

Mar 2004

We're all doing two-laps of the Creampuff course this w/e

Captain Cogset,

I see you're from Bend. I'm from Eugene. Myself and a couple of others are going up on Friday to clear the remaining trees from the top of the course, which still had a lot of snow last weekend. Then about 10 of us are doing 2 laps on Saturday (some people will likely just do one lap). Everyone is pretty much riding at their own pace, then meeting at the Trailhead afterwards for beers.

Meeting at the Red Covered Bridge in Westfir at 8:00 AM

BTW. The course is looking GOOD!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Creampuff 100, mmmmmmmm

Hi,

If you're in my category (men 30-39) I recommend hammering your heart out the weekend before and then some mountainous century "recovery" rides between races. And see if the other vet's want to tag along with you please.

Joking aside, pick which race you'd rather do best at and focus on it. Ride the other for "fun". If you're a young punk (under 30) you might recover sufficiently in 1 week. But if you don't.....OUCH!!!! Personally I think the Puff course is so damn fun that I'd choose it over anything else.

My wife, myself, and another couple are doing the Puff and racing the Squamish Test of Metal the prior Saturday (June 19). It's a fast 67km course and we'll use it as a final tune-up for the Puff. That plan worked well for me last year, we'll see if history repeats. I took it easy the week between, three 2-hour rides with a little hammering plus a slow Puff pre-ride on the Friday, lots of quality sleep and the reduced stress of a 1-week vacation really helped.

Good luck,
    Dave

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    bottom line is that you won't be fully recovered by then, unless you're superhuman of some kind. on the other hand, it sounds like you're in pretty good shape, and based on the guys that were starting to show up at the Puff the last couple times i raced there, you're going to get your a$$ handed to you on a platter anyway, so what diff does it make?

if your lifestyle is otherwise boring (little or no drink/drugs, plenty of sleep, reasonable diet) you should be able to be competitive at both events. i sometimes used to find that when i'm still just a little slow and tired from a huge event, that i would ride more efficiently. i seemed to be able to avoid going too fast at the start, which for me was the biggest mistake i could make.

it makes a big difference whether you push yourself to the utter limit or not in the first race. i remember one year at Cool (the first big race of the year in norcal), i raced the open class cuz i was tired of winning the expert vet class and only doing 2 laps. i ended up having a really exceptional ride, but i dug so deep on the last 10 miles that i was completely seeing stars. i was physically destroyed for days and it took over a week until i had any desire to go near a bicycle again. fortunately, i spent the week in la paz relaxing.

mw (former puff expert vet winner, present fat old enduro racing throttle-twister)
    mark weaver
    kuna, id

Social Retard

Interesting discussion

I read this with interest because in Sept I'll be racing the 24hrs of Adrenalin-Hurkey Creek and following in 3 weeks is 24hrs at Moab. I am a little concerned as to how this 44yr old body is going to recover in doing two solo efforts so close together. I was thinking, as was pointed out, to race Hurkey Creek at an easier pace and save something for Moab. But racing for 24hrs is still hell on the body no matter if you try and take it easy or not!
    After 24hrs at Temecula, I wasn't in very good shape in my recovery at the three week mark, but my form is stronger now than then. Unfortunately, both these races are at the end of summer and the end of the season....oh well. I'm sure I won't be the only one with tired legs in Moab

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Man
    Captain Cogset,

I see you're from Bend. I'm from Eugene. Myself and a couple of others are going up on Friday to clear the remaining trees from the top of the course, which still had a lot of snow last weekend. Then about 10 of us are doing 2 laps on Saturday (some people will likely just do one lap). Everyone is pretty much riding at their own pace, then meeting at the Trailhead afterwards for beers.

Meeting at the Red Covered Bridge in Westfir at 8:00 AM

BTW. The course is looking GOOD!!
    Thanks for the offer Southern Man, but this weekend is no good for me.

Mar 2004

see you at weaverville

Im doing the solo 12 hour at weavervill then the tour de nez the next weekend. Im just going to take a day off after 12 hour then maybe get a centruy in during the middle of the week then take anouther day off before nez. Then Ive got a little down time till Brian head.IF ANYONE is going to BRIAN HEAD and WANTS SOMEONE TO CHIP IN FOR GAS< I NEED A RIDE>