mtbr member
    Jun 2009

What do you buy?

If you can only have one mtb and had a 2k budget right now, what bike do you buy for endurance riding? Which and why? Thanks for playing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Depends on the terrain in your area and the races you have in mind.

Sorry for the non-answer but you're probably looking at a mid-range FS26er or a HT29er. If you live and race in FL, it's gonna be the 29er (or a flat-bar CX bike). If you live and race in Whistler, it's not.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Salsa El Mariachi 2?
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

Cars Are Evil
    Raise your budget slightly and get a Giant Anthem 29.

mtbr member
    specialized stumpjumper comp 29er. That is what I want anyway, maybe even carbon.

Just ride.
    May 2011
    Depends, do you need the bike, or bike and gear?

Even if you have gear, you might find yourself needing to upgrade: saddle, shoes, shorts, camelbak, grips, gloves, other clothing gear, tires/tubes (going from 26->29), helmet... and thats not even getting into nutrition.. (oh and bike computer/gps/hrm whatever electronics you might want to boot)

mtbr member
    Single Speed. For 2k you could build up a pretty decent bike, if you look on ebay for some parts.

mtbr member
    I have The same issue and The same budget rigth now I ride a trek 8500 but i dont think its what i need to ride la ruta de los conquistadores on november

I am thinking on a ht 29er probably xcaliber.

I used to ride a 26 ds i change it because of the weigth and The noise i Brent told that ride la ruta on ht is just too hard

Please advice me too

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    What I went for was a 29er HT - MCR9 1x9 or 3x9
    I recently pulled together a MCR 9 with parts I already had and some new parts as well. For most of my riding in Texas, I will keep it as a 1x9. I plan to use this bike in XC racing as well as local endurance events, and the LT100. I have the components to switch from a 1x9 to a 3x9 also.
    Frame MCR9 - $400 used
    Powdercoat - $100
    Fork REBA RL 100 - $275
    Headset King $130
    RWheel Flow/Hope Rear - $250
    FWheel Flow/Hope sharing with my SS
    Crank LX - $90
    Stem EA90 - $20
    Grips ODI - $35
    Shifters LX - $50
    Rder LX - $50
    Fder LX $20
    Chain SRAM $20
    Brakes BB7s $100
    Saddle Fizik Tundra $75
    Levers Avid
    Cassette Had one
    Bars Had some
    SS Ring - $30
    MRP Chain Guide - $30
    XTR Pedals - $100
    Total $1,800 or so
    Shop fees - $100
    Am I forgetting anything?

New MTB XC Racer
    This is just some suggestions that you could apply to several bikes.

First I would check into local bike shops and clubs. My shop and club give nice discounts to teammates plus lots of extra free or discounted service and free advice from the shop.

I picked up a previous year FS GT i-Drive for $950 (down from $1400).

Then I upgrade fork to a FOX 120 RLC fork for $460 (New through club group sale)
    and an Easton EC90 bar(99g) for $60 (new through group club sale (see the trend )).
    I also picked up some Kenda Karma tires (425g each) and sub 100g tubes. Stock tubes were around 160g and Nokian NXB's where around 700g.
    I also changed seat and seat-tube. San Marco Island or something or other

So for around $1600 I had a great frame, top of the line fork, light tires for my XC racing and was around 28lbs.

Over the last 4 years I've replaced cassettes, cranks, shifters etc due to wear and crashes Just recently went tubeless with a 55% deal on tubeless wheelset Mavics.

I also toyed with getting a used bike. At the time I could have got a 1 yr old lightly used Devinci-Moonracer that was being sold because of a sponsor change. Was around $4500 new and where asking around half. In retrospect I should have pulled the trigger on that used bike.

So some things to consider is a used bike or building up a lower entry bike.

For Endurance bikes take a look and this Kona HEI HEI 29er Fs for $1900 cdn.
    KONAWORLD

I have a couple of Kona and GT's. I would suggest taking a look at GT's as I love the i-Drive set-up but may be a bit harder to find.

Cheers,
    Paul
    Photo first bike, upgraded bars, fork and Karma tires right after first race ever 24 hr Solo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What do you buy?-first-fs-mtb.jpg  

Last edited by Rum Runner; 02-29-2012 at 10:09 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    For that amount of money I'd stick with a SS. That would get you a decent build.

Or buy a used setup.

LightJunction.com
    I'd probably go with one of those carbon hardtails Performance is offering. The Stealth. Great components and a pretty racey geometry. I'd get that for now and save up money for a new FS frame in a year or two.
    We sell quality bike headlights and flashlights.
    www.LightJunction.com

Sweep the leg!
    Since I have nice single speed (with a carbon fork and Reba SL) I'd get a FS 29er.

for $2000 I'd look at the Superfly 100 AL ($2399 but I could work a deal)

The GT, Cannondale and Specialized options I'd consider are all $2600 or more.

Otherwise, to stay at $2000 you're reduced to the Motobecane. I don't know anyone around here using one, but there might be. If that bike ends up sucking you could buy a Niner Jet9 frame and be done.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks for responses, there are some good options out there it seems. Please keep them coming!

Anyone have any thoughts/experiences with Scott Spark 29 Comp or Team?

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Salsa Spearfish 3 or a Superfly100 Al. Both a touch over 2k but they would take care of business.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I would say if it's one bike a surly ogre. You can run it single speed or geared, short chian stays and all the braze ons for bike packing or touring. The only downside is it's heavy, but it's cheap, you might be able to get some light wheels for it.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Probably the Felt Nine Elite or Scott Scale 35 29er.

I haven't ridden a FS I've liked. So in this strange situation in which I have to buy the bike today, I wouldn't feel comfortable blowing my magic windfall on one.

I test-rode a 29er the other day and was impressed.

I'd want to stretch those dollars as far as I could, even if it is a bizarre hypothetical.

I can't say why I'd choose one of those two brands, but it would violate the TOU for the site if I didn't say I do have an ulterior reason.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Your Best Friend
    When it comes to race bikes, $2000 is not a lot of money. I'd avoid full suspension in that price range because there are too many compromises and they are all pretty heavy. You won't see much bang for your buck. Aluminum frames are fairly light but in general, they also beat the crap out of you. I'd personally look into a well made steel frame, spend a chunk on a nice fork and then look for a nicely priced component package.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

HTFU!
    Gotta agree with a couple of SS mentions. Why? Because my build cost ~2k.

$636--Frame:Niner One 9 new
    $350--Fork:2011 Reba RLT New (already being rebuilt)
    $225--Wheelset: C29SSMAX used (friend price)
    $70--Schwalbe RR's used
    $150--Brakeset: Avid Elixir 5's used w/Alligator Rotors new
    $125--Drivetrain:XT cranks used, HBC ring new, Surly cog used, 851 chain new
    $77--Stem: Thomson new. Hard to find a used 90mm silver stem w/rise.
    $55--Post: Thomson used
    $35--Flat Bar: Ritchy WCS used
    $20--Bar ends new
    $35--Cateye computer
    $35--Forte Carve pedals new
    $25--Saddle Nashbar R2 new
    $15--ESI Chunky new
    $15--Stans new (duh!)
    $10--Specialized bottle cage new
    $5--brass bell new

Under 2k for 21.6lbs of beauty! I had a 26" FS that also cost ~2k, but ended up parting it out to fund this build. Best decision EVER!
    I no longer deserve a signature.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 6thElement View Post
    Salsa El Mariachi 2?
    Hey, you stole my answer.

wants a taco
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbean View Post
    Depends on the terrain in your area and the races you have in mind.

Sorry for the non-answer but you're probably looking at a mid-range FS26er or a HT29er. If you live and race in FL, it's gonna be the 29er (or a flat-bar CX bike). If you live and race in Whistler, it's not.
    I think this is the most important question not yet answered but given your budget a HT 29'er is probably going to be the safest route, which hard tail 29'er would really depend on the races you plan to do and what is the most important feature in the bike for you. Light but willing to sacrifice a little comfort go aluminum, comfort and durability (thinking multi day races like TD, CTR) more important than super light, go steel with something like a Surly or Salsa although either bike could do either style race, some are just better suited to different disciplines.
    Just another cycling blog...
    The Long Way Home

Adventure Mapper
    Quote Originally Posted by IMHO View Post
    Gotta agree with a couple of SS mentions. Why? Because my build cost ~2k.

$636--Frame:Niner One 9 new
    $350--Fork:2011 Reba RLT New (already being rebuilt)
    $225--Wheelset: C29SSMAX used (friend price)
    $70--Schwalbe RR's used
    $150--Brakeset: Avid Elixir 5's used w/Alligator Rotors new
    $125--Drivetrain:XT cranks used, HBC ring new, Surly cog used, 851 chain new
    $77--Stem: Thomson new. Hard to find a used 90mm silver stem w/rise.
    $55--Post: Thomson used
    $35--Flat Bar: Ritchy WCS used
    $20--Bar ends new
    $35--Cateye computer
    $35--Forte Carve pedals new
    $25--Saddle Nashbar R2 new
    $15--ESI Chunky new
    $15--Stans new (duh!)
    $10--Specialized bottle cage new
    $5--brass bell new

Under 2k for 21.6lbs of beauty! I had a 26" FS that also cost ~2k, but ended up parting it out to fund this build. Best decision EVER!
    +1 Single Speed for the win. This is a great build at a light weight and it even has extras like a bell and computer. Granted some parts are used, but its a great way to get into a great endurance racing rig and you will save $ throughout the year on chains, cassettes, chainrings, deraileurs, cables, housing, shifters, tune ups, etc that you can pour into upgrades that will not be as "disposable". I began my endurance SS lifestyle in August and got much faster, could endure much more pain, and had many less mechanical issues on the long rides than I ever had before. Just my two cents.
    Check my blog for my El Mariachi build, why I chose what I did, how I am liking it now, what I have accomplished with it and what I plan to accomplish with it. I hope that helps!
    My YouTube channel for MTB content:
    http://youtube.com/RideAlongside

RideAlongside

mtbr member
    Salsa Mamasita complete. Done.

Members who have read this thread: 0