What to do now??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

What to do now??

What is everyone doing with the self isolations and such? Every event is cancelled for at least a few months. How are you going to stay in race shape, are you planning for other races that you werent planning on? Whats your plan?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Go outside and ride solo.

EAT MORE GRIME
    i am gonna do more squats, iso work, dumbells and spend MORE time in the pain cave than anyone else. work harder, suffer longer.

someone has to step up
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    "Race" for free on Strava. Solo. As usual. Rest more. Do more weights and core & flexibility work. So pretty much the same as usual being an introvert living in the middle of nowhere, ha.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I have been doing a combination of Zwift/Riding outside. Trails are either closed for Spring Thaw or snow conditions are marginal so not worth getting the fatbike out. In my opinion, riding outside is just fine since its an open air environment. My next event that I am actually signed up for is the Lutsen 99er but that is not until the end of June so I am hopeful this will be back to somewhat normalcy by then so they can have the event. If they do not, I understand due to the severity of what is going on. Marji Gesick in September is my main event this season anyways. I would assume we won't be still under restrictions by then...at least I hope not!

mtbr member
    Mar 2015

What to do now??

We got so lucky. Our organization got USAC to allow us to race Sunday. Our season (though scheduled until Mid May) is likely to pick back up in the fall. For a combined series state championship.

My wife and I are both working from home and hit the massive trail system right by our house for some hammer fest, or nice Tempo pace to our favorite climbs and DH lines.

That and some morning/midday Zwift for some structured workouts. My wife got 3hours of volume on a Monday!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Solo riding in the hills. Just like normal.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    We're in freeze/thaw mode right now, so some road riding and xc skiing, since our local club area is still grooming.
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by FJSnoozer View Post
    We got so lucky. Our organization got USAC to allow us to race Sunday.
    What event is still happening on Sunday? Is it central TX?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Try to take over the world.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015

What to do now??

Quote Originally Posted by attaboy View Post
    What event is still happening on Sunday? Is it central TX?
    We raced already. It was the comfort hill country MTB challenge. It was raining, so they shortened the race. Cat 1 under 50 races a proper XC0 distance.

Older men and Cat 2 ended up doing the Cat 3 course.

Even many of the parks are closing. We are driving to Bentonville for a week, to work and then ride after working hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by FJSnoozer; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Try to take over the world.
    Ha! Classic...

I am going back to probably 4 weeks of base training with endurance rides mixed in and also incorporate some cross training like running and hiking. Mainly trying not to over train in this down time. The trails are still crap here right now but it looks like an early thaw & dry out

livin' the dream......
    Solo riding, more strength training and look forward to the AZ heat to drive the masses in doors.
    Less f*cks to give every passing day, use them well. - geraldooka

mtbr member
    Continue outdoors until directed otherwise. However, without race dates in mind, training has become a bit misguided for now.
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

Rides all the bikes!
    I'm going to do the same thing, no change.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    No change here. My races scheduled in June are not cancelled yet, so I'm keeping on with my training. If they get cancelled, I'll just readjust the plan. I have no plans to just stop training. Racing will eventually resume, and I want to be in good shape.

My yoga studio is now streaming classes, so I get to keep doing that. And I've always done strength workouts at home and I have the equipment for that. Riding outdoors in my area is still allowed (and probably will continue to be, as this is Wyoming, it's not hard to socially distance in the outdoors).

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    I quit doing intervals and just started riding for fun (and fitness). I've been getting out 6 days/week and currently have July fitness in March. I'm calling it plague fitness. It's freaky but I'll take it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Maybe more people will by whats on those TV commercials showing the indoor stationary bicycle for sale, they never mention the price, which means its probably like $5000 for the stationary bicycle and $200/month or something like that you know.

https://www.onepeloton.com/

Hey I was close
    "From $2,245 or $58/mo for 39 mos at 0% APR

All-Access Membership Separate"

mtbr member
    Fuggit...stop training and start drinking.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    Fuggit...stop training and start drinking.
    No no, that's a December slogan. This time of year you want to reverse it.

I've probably just put in more time on the bike in the month of March than any previous year. Racing starts in about a month, I hope, and things are looking good from where I sit.

Not all trail miles because of the weather obviously, so lacking in elevation, and my commute is flat as a pancake, but you get the idea.

What to do now??-screen-shot-2020-03-30-3.42.01-pm.png
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

Rides all the bikes!
    21 hours of riding, 7 hours of running last week. Few hours walking/riding the horse.

I don't drink, or have a TV. But my crash pad will be here this week, so I'll start bouldering outdoors, might cut into my bike time.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewalk View Post
    21 hours of riding, 7 hours of running last week.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Rides all the bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    Technically, above my average of 22'ish hours.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    Solo riding in the hills. Just like normal.
    Hills are closed now.
    Solo urban riding and one bit of local gravel.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I go back and forth between wanting to sleep in, eat whatever I want and drink alcohol and just let it all go.. to having too much energy and going stir crazy that I go ride for 6+ hours.

Once the weather gets nicer and the high country melts out I'll be a lot more excited to ride but right now the trails that are open are packed with people who until recently never went outside so it's not too appealing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 3blackbikes View Post
    packed with people who until recently never went outside so it's not too appealing.
    Yup, with dogs and children running loose every which way. Cooler weather lessens the masses.

mtbr member
    No no, that's a December slogan. This time of year you want to reverse it.

I've probably just put in more time on the bike in the month of March than any previous year. Racing starts in about a month, I hope, and things are looking good from where I sit.

Not all trail miles because of the weather obviously, so lacking in elevation, and my commute is flat as a pancake, but you get the idea.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-03-30 at 3.42.01 PM.png 
Views:	30 
Size:	86.1 KB 
ID:	1320703
    Racing will not start in a month. Maybe this summer if we're lucky. Back to the booze...

Live Free & Ride
    Watch Youtube and stay inside! Start with this and add more for comedic value and isolation exercises....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojrt...&start_radio=1

I need toilet paper - toilet paper!
    17 Fuel EX 9.9 (in progress)
    19 FM 279 carbon gravel
    17 Stache 29+
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r

https://kettleheadbrewing.com/

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    Racing will not start in a month. Maybe this summer if we're lucky. Back to the booze...
    Welp, just got word today that the race series I was very much looking forward to is canceled.

That's a major bummer. One of my favorite events of the year, and a real gut buster first thing in the spring.

Guess my new target will be endurance events mid-late summer. In the meantime, I'll keep shredding trails and thrashing my legs on the SS with a big grin.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Welp, just got word today that the race series I was very much looking forward to is canceled.

That's a major bummer. One of my favorite events of the year, and a real gut buster first thing in the spring.

Guess my new target will be endurance events mid-late summer. In the meantime, I'll keep shredding trails and thrashing my legs on the SS with a big grin.
    I'm not surprised. Like I said, maybe we'll resume racing by summer.

livin' the dream......
    I have been hitting the less popular trail heads to avoid the people and riding in the afternoon as it is creeping into the low 80s here in AZ deserts. I had been focused on trail running since December and just riding 1x a week. I managed to race a 22k and 30k - but the 50k I was hoping to run in June is cancelled.

Back to the bike - I have a much harder time running just for the sake of running than I do riding. I need something on the calendar to train for with running, but happily ride 50-75 miles weeks month in/ month out in the MTB with no races planned.
    Less f*cks to give every passing day, use them well. - geraldooka