What do I need for my first 12hr- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

What do I need for my first 12hr

Doing a relay 12 hr with another guy and we have never done anything like this before so I was wondering what kind of supplies you bring? Not just food but do you use a tent, stove wii station? Any help for a 12 hr virgin? It is the 12 hours of Papago in AZ on Jan 7th.

Thanks,

Doug

mtbr member
    pop up tent, work stand, extra parts and tools, sometimes spare bike, trainer, plenty of gels and water bottles, chairs for pit crew members, xm radio, bbq pit and cooler full of food and post race beverages
    just take it easy and remember the first hour will not win it all. pace yourself and shoot to finish and be able to learn for the next event!
    09' Fuji Tahoe Pro 29er
    03' Giant Warp DS3

Grip it and rip it.
    If you want to be competitive take a road bike and trainer along to warm up before your next lap.

Buddys of mine that podium in 12 hour pairs have a system where they leave a note pad out at the tent for the other rider say something about the course or how things are going (they never stop and talk). For example if you're feeling good you can write down that you'll do an extra lap next time out, and so on. It works for them and seems to be a good idea.
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional"

michaelmblog.wordpress.com

mtbr member
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    All you will need is a tried and true nutrition plan, a taint of steel and a brain of mush.

EDIT*****Oops, that is my advice for solos. Misread OP.******

Nutrition/hydration is the most important thing. And just as important for the weekend warrior to finish and have fun as it is for those aspiring for the podium to charge all day. Pretty simple, fuel = energy.

With duo, you have way more options with the break between laps to eat some real food so its not AS important to have a totally dialed in feeding plan like solos. But you should know what your stomach can/cannot handle for that duration and repeated effort level.

And if you want to compete, warming up is key between laps as your body will take longer and longer to respond as the laps go by.

Also, like everyone else said, spares of everything. But the most important spare for me is a fresh chamois every lap. Pretty disheartening slipping on a wet, used chamois every 2 hrs. Yuck.

good luck
    Last edited by 8Shakes; 12-21-2011 at 04:42 PM.

mtbr member
    A taint of steel and A brain of mush should be a t-shirt. Love it!

Grip it and rip it.
    But the most important spare for me is a fresh chamois every lap. Pretty disheartening slipping on a wet, used chamois every 2 hrs. Yuck.
    I don't even bother changing my shorts for 24 solos, ha, maybe I should try some day if its that good.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Damitletsride! View Post
    I don't even bother changing my shorts for 24 solos, ha, maybe I should try some day if its that good.
    I totally agree for solos. I don't even get off my bike when I do 12hour solos RIGHT. I haven't done a 24 in years but I imagine that a change of shorts during a necessary stop might help your psyche. Maybe you can change em when putting on/shedding your lights?

But for team riders who sit for half of the event, they need to change out of their shorts for comfort - or at least in deference to their 'nethers'. So for the next lap, it is so much sweeter pulling on fresh, lubed shorts than the used, now cold and nasty pair.

Grip it and rip it.
    Yeah I suppose that would make sense if you had to wait around an hour or two before riding again.