What to bring - 12 hour circuit race (12 Hours of Cranky Monkey)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2008

What to bring - 12 hour circuit race (12 Hours of Cranky Monkey)

I scanned the forum for a list of spares, equipment, etc. for a 12 hour circuit race and did not see any topics on point. I am doing a 12 hour circuit race in Northern Virginia in a couple of weeks and was wondering if folks have ideas of what to bring in the way of spares and equipment? For purposes of this thread, I am assuming that I (hopefully) have nutrition covered.

Thanks for your help.

Adventure Mapper
    Just did my first 6hr solo the weekend before last...found a few tips from guys who had been there before and they listed gear to bring to your pit.

Pit crew, educated on what you'll want and when (most valuable by far)
    Shade canopy
    Ice chest
    Bike stand
    Tools
    Spare wheelset if available, hopefully set up with rotors/cassete/tires
    Lube and rag
    Floor pump
    Extra cold water
    Wet washcloth (super refreshing to wipe face and arms from dust )
    Extra chamois cream
    Extra sunscreen
    Extra sunglasses

Hope that helps, I know it did for me.
    My YouTube channel for MTB content:
    http://youtube.com/RideAlongside

RideAlongside

mtbr member
    Bring some good beer (Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA will do) and make sure I know where your pit is at. I'm racing that one too and will need some refreshment between laps!!

At least the forecasted temp dropped from 97 to 86! Woo Hoo!! ight get a little misty though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Papagiorgio View Post
    I scanned the forum for a list of spares, equipment, etc. for a 12 hour circuit race and did not see any topics on point. I am doing a 12 hour circuit race in Northern Virginia in a couple of weeks and was wondering if folks have ideas of what to bring in the way of spares and equipment? For purposes of this thread, I am assuming that I (hopefully) have nutrition covered.

Thanks for your help.
    I did this race last year as a duo, and it was my first event of the sort (laps with a pit).

My observation was that people seemed like they brought every tool / spare part that might be relevant on the day. Seemed like whole garages out there. The parking lot is just across a street from the pit area, so we're talking like 200 yard max. As such, people seemed to bring everything they thought they might need. By which I mean all the bike stuff they owned (or at least it appeared this way).

Specifically, I saw:

- toolboxes / tookits (whatever tools you would use to wrench on your bike). Might as well bring it all since it's a short walk from the parking lot across the street

- spare bike or wheels if you've got 'em

- spare chain

- spare tire and tube in case you shred something and have the motivation to keep riding

- changes of clothes/socks if you don't wanna use the same sweaty clothes all day

- folding chair

- some sort shade (ez-up tent if you got it, I jury rigged my lighweight backpacking tarp but it looked ghetto

- your own TP in case the port-o-johns run out

- comfy clothes and sandals to change in and out of between laps (if you're teaming up with others)

Hope this helps. Have fun!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I've done this race myself a fews times and won my solo class last year.

Jared is right on point on this one, bring everything you can carry in your car. A tent or some form of shade is a must thou, the pit area is in a large open field with pretty much zero shaded areas. I'd also bring a little more fluid when you think you'll ever need, for some reason I drink far more at then venue then any other races....including races I've done in FL.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Last year at the 12 hours of CM

What I did last year was bring my bike, 8 water bottles filled with my favorite drink mix (I have forgotten what that was) 8 bottles with water and 20 or so packages of "power" food. Oh, one extra set of clothes that I changed into after I took a break to eat lunch.

I also had a 4,5,6 and 8 allen wrenches, a pump, and two spare tubes. One at my "pit area" which was literally my messenger bag.

So what would I change this year? I would make sure I didn't have to drive to McDonalds for lunch and brought food to eat for my mid race pause. Going to lunch cost me two laps, but if I hadn't gone I may have bonked really hard and cost myself a finish. Oh yeah, DON'T FORGET LUBE!!!!!

I never understand people bringing the kitchen sink to lap races. What, you plan on rebuilding your hubs, bottom bracket, pressing in a new headset and lacing your new wheel set while you race? Not likely.

Bring a bike in good working order, enough food and water, basic tool kit, lube, and the ability to ride your bike for 12 hours.

psycho cyclo addict
    Tools:
    2-6mm Allen wrenches (maybe 8mm if your pedals require that large or for crank arm bolts)
    chain tool
    chain lube
    needle nose pliers (for pulling brake pads out and other things that could be stubborn and take more time w/o pliers)
    zip ties
    tire patch kit
    pump
    first aid kit

Parts:
    at least one spare chain
    spare set of brake pads
    extra set of pedals if you have them (I bring an old crankset too just in case)
    spare tubes or goo (if you are running tubeless)
    I bring a spare universal inner cable in case something snaps

Food
    Make a couple PB&J's quick/easy and high in calories
    Beef jerky or something else salty with protein (I prefer Trader Joe's smoked sardines- eat em right out of the container)
    Protein bars / Shot Blocks or whatever your preference
    Extra water (and bottles if you use them)
    Gatorade or other electrolyte drink

Clothes and creature comforts
    Chair (or cooler to sit on and keep stuff in too wheeee)
    Umbrella
    Multiple pairs of cycling socks
    Extra pair of glasses
    Extra undies (if you wear em), cycling shorts and shirts
    Street clothes & shoes for after the race

There's nothing too crazy there (assuming you are talking about Quantico) but a few short relatively bumpy downhills (by the power lines and elsewhere) where you can easily lose a water bottle. The longer downhills on other races I've done have been littered with bottles and other gear as the race wore on. Good luck and have fun!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I've done the 9hrs of Cranky Monkey solo 2 years in a row, self supported. I brought 2 bikes, a small cooler with 12 premixed water bottles, a couple of dozen gels, power bars and some sugar filled treats. 3 or 4 tubes, a masterlink, co2 cartridges and a second pair of gloves and a small array of tools along with my cook brothers mini tool. I won the solo last year and grabbed second place this year. Simple is easier. A pop up tent is overkill unless your planning on hanging out and not riding. Pit crews are also nice, though they can be more of a distraction than not. JMHO
    Tearing down and cleaning up a large pit after 12 hrs in the saddle can really suck. Go light and stay relaxed. Good luck.