water bottle solution for small frame?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

water bottle solution for small frame?

I am trying to find a way for my wife to carry water bottles on her small Santa Cruz Blur. There is not enough room inside the main triangle to fit a bottle and while we do have a cage mounted on the underside of the downtube she is not a big fan. Am considering a mountain feedbag or even a seatpost bottle cage (triathlon style) but have concerns about the bottle bouncing out of either one of those. Does anybody have any experience with either of those systems for large water bottles? Any other ideas?

thanks!

Just ride.
    May 2011
    Camelbak or similar. My old Specialized Enduro had the same setup. The under triangle just does not work, and the seatpost one was a larger pain for me. Was happy to return to a hard tail for that reason alone

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    jersey pocket is always an option! gets a little bouncy for me on the rigid ss but i still tolerate it on my bike with only one cage when i have too.

i'd imagine on a full-sus it would be even less of an issue.

at least you'd definitely notice if you lost it

mtbr member
    After ruining a tri style seat post bottle mount (and seeing another one not make it two months on gravel roads) I started using a Veleau from Showers Pass. It holds about 2 bottles worth of water, all my tools and is almost as easy as a camelback for drinking. I've been using it for two months now and I'm pretty happy with it.

It does require a fair amount of exposed seat post though, at least 4" I believe.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I got a top cap mount for a cage from King Cage. Super dorktastic looking, but it works great and is easily accessible even on singletrack... Highly recommended

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I have a large full suspension bike, and can fit 1 bottle inside the frame, but I usually carry a second behind my seatpost. I use the Specialized mounts to attach my bottle cage to the seatpost. However, I have found that most bottle cages are not up to this task. Since the bottle cage is angled backwards, there is a lot more force on the cage, and they tend to loosen or brake over time when used on trails. I have found that the Lezyne Power Cage works well, because it is super strong and not too lightweight.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Side pull cage from specialized works well... Its called the Z-cage and you can buy them in left or right hand pull. Haven't seen too many frames where they haven't worked.

They call me Shoogs
    I'd really give the side pull a look

Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    how about mounting a cage on the top of the top tube, up toward the steer tube?

mtbr member
    I would second the bottle in middle jersey pocket. Find her a bottle that fits nicely into her jerseys. At the start of the ride it can be a bit annoying since it pulls down some on the shirt, but as you ride it gets lighter. I feel it beats wearing the big camelback.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yahsper View Post
    Side pull cage from specialized works well... Its called the Z-cage and you can buy them in left or right hand pull. Haven't seen too many frames where they haven't worked.
    +++

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Thanks for all the responses. I think we're gonna try the seatpost setup that WillTG great recommended. I know our bike shop tried the Z-cage once on her bike and it didn't work although I have one on my own bike so maybe I'll give that a go and see for myself. And for various reasons she is not down with carrying bottles in jersey pockets, mostly because she is looking at doing a 50 and wants water in the camelbak and calories in a bottle.

Again, thanks for the ideas and if there are anymore i'd love to hear them.

Karma Vampire
    I have used a mountain feedbag for water bottle and gel flask duty. If I didn't pull the gaiter cord tight, it could result in an ejected a 20oz bottle. This usually happens without me knowing it, when going over drops. A smaller 16oz bottle seems more secure. The outer webbing should be used for wrappers only, otherwise the flask/packet/bar will eject. The strap around the fork crown, handlebar and stem can wear the finish. Some "helicopter" tape can prevent wear.

All those issues aside I think it is a decent way to carry an extra bottle. I suppose the weight on the bar might bother some, but it is close to the steer tube. The Mountain Feed Bag has the extra benefit of keeping the liquid colder, longer. Also, if the terrain is "smooth", it is a good place for the bottle you are currently working on.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by WillTheGreat View Post
    I have a large full suspension bike, and can fit 1 bottle inside the frame, but I usually carry a second behind my seatpost. I use the Specialized mounts to attach my bottle cage to the seatpost. .....
    Thanks for posting, I got to try these ....

mtbr member
    May 2010

MT Feedbag

I've had a Mt Feedbag (2 of them) for a year +...they are great and several of my riding buddies use them now. Easily hold a bottle and other items and does not get in the way of riding.

New MTB XC Racer

Bottle with cover

My cage is under bottom tube.
    My bottles have a clear flip cap which keeps the mud out of top.
    I also use my jersey pockets and try balance them out best as I can.

Attaching a pick of a similar bottle. Lots of variations out there.
    On the negative side I have had a cap rip off from bottoming out front suspension and the tire rubbing.

Maybe one of the tops without a hard hinge and more of a tether would be better....

Cheers,
    Paul
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails water bottle solution for small frame?-bicyclewaterbottle.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    specialized makes a cage called the zee cage which is meant for small frames. i have a small niner air9 and it works great for my bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    how about mounting a cage on the top of the top tube, up toward the steer tube?
    I have one zip-tied to my stem. Hangs out over my handlebar. I went to this as getting a bottle back inside of my frame cage is tough when I'm riding hard. Too tight. I've only lost one bottle and a quick bend of the cage fixed that!
    If you can be blissfully ignorant to the notion that something is impossible, then you might surprise yourself. -- Andrea138

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by desnaephoto View Post
    I have one zip-tied to my stem. Hangs out over my handlebar. I went to this as getting a bottle back inside of my frame cage is tough when I'm riding hard. Too tight. I've only lost one bottle and a quick bend of the cage fixed that!
    innnteresting. thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Showers Pass makes a seat bag that also holds water. Has a tube like a Camelback . I don't have one, but the thought keeps passing my mind. Looks like a possible solution.

mtbr member
    A side load is what my GF uses on a couple of her bikes; a Catamount cage is great and sturdy, and can be mounted for trad. up or load left or right @ 90 degree. The same seller has them on ebay, and has for many years- is reputable and quick ship.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Here is the report to date.

She is trying to get used to carrying a bottle on the underside of the downtube but can't always get it when she really wants to.

Back pocket doesn't work as she still likes to carry a camelbak for water ( she is really just trying to carry one extra bottle for calories only).

The Zee Cage doesn't fit.

Mtn Feedbag has been shipped so we'll see about that.

Specialized mounts for seat tube are still in the mix.

thanks for all the ideas!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    i have a blur and use the top cap mount. its ultra convenient and i haven't noticed any ill effect on handling.
    something about the west coast...it makes me wanna ride

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Minoura Rear Mount Saddle-Rail Bracket for One Cage has worked well for me.

Amazon.com: Minoura Rear Mount Saddle-Rail Bracket for One Cage: Sports & Outdoors
    Go that way really fast......if anything gets in your way turn.

mtbr member
    If you check the Minoura site they make a ton of other mounts as well, including a double version of the One Cage that will still allow you to use a rear seat bag (depending on the size of the bag) .
    Overland : Hayduke : Hightower LT : Delirium : Piolet

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    You tried the side pull type cage ?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

water bottle solutions for small frame

Yeah, turns out you can't even fit a water bottle in there, much less a cage.

mtbr member
    King Cage Top Cap Mount.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails water bottle solution for small frame?-handymount.gif  

Rod
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by snack64 View Post
    Yeah, turns out you can't even fit a water bottle in there, much less a cage.
    Wow that must be a very small front triangle. I know the medium anthems could fit a 20, but not a 24 oz. bottle easily, but not even a cage. sheesh

nOOb
    May 2008
    Worst case I use a Camelback, and mix my Perpetuem into a gel and carry it in a flask or two versus mixing it in a water bottle.
    One of the most annoying things about my new super cool full suspension 29er, it only holds one water bottle. That top cap bottle mount looks slick, I might have to check that out.

New MTB XC Racer
    Just saw this vid. Camelbak RaceBak. I am not a fan of packs but this I like
    Woman's or men's available ....

CamelBak® - 2012 RaceBak Men's

Cheers,
    Paul

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rum Runner View Post
    Just saw this vid. Camelbak RaceBak. I am not a fan of packs but this I like
    Woman's or men's available ....

CamelBak® - 2012 RaceBak Men's

Cheers,
    Paul

I just bought one of these a few weeks ago and I'm happy with it so far. I carry water in it and use bottles for calories. It's way lighter than a pack on your back, hardly noticeable.
    If you ever see a turtle on a telephone pole, remember he had help getting there. Is there anything beer can't do?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

water bottle solutions for a small frame

OP here, just wanted to post up the happiness my wife has with the mountain feedbag solution. She tried the bottle mount on the underside of the downtube and just didn't dig it. LOVES the feedbag though. Funny thing is that it was actually a b-day present for me, from her. I have used it once and it now belongs to her. Thanks again for everybody's input.

Members who have read this thread: 0