mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Vaya, Fargo, or both?

I currently have a Salsa Vaya for racing on gravel and the occasional commute.

Due to my size, I require the 26" wheel version. The problem is that this has seemed to limit me somewhat on lighter (aero) wheels to upgrade. Not too bad, but the real issue is a lack of tire choices. The largest size that fits is 1.95. I've found a couple tires in the 1.75 range that works well, but most MTB tires are either too wide or have too much tread for gravel, or both.

I've been wondering if switching over to a Fargo or something would solve the tire issue as it can take 29" or 700c tires. I also want to do more bike packing so this seems like a good choice.

Any input?

mtbr member
    As always, the best answer is - it depends.

What are you wanting the bike for - Gravel racing or bikepacking? What does "racing" mean to you? What routes are you riding?

If you want to carry loads on B roads and singletrack lean towards the fargo, but realize it's not a weightweenie by any means. If you want to go faster on gravel and only do a little B road/singletrack then aim for 700c wheels and something like a CX bike - but realize it won't be anywhere near as plush as fat 20" tires and may not carry the same loads.

If "racing" is being competitive, and you're wanting to compete on gravel, then obviously you want the right tool for the job - light and fast - and be willing to make concessions to comfort to some degree. If "racing" means you enter events where some folks compete but you're just going for a personal best, not aiming for the podium, and you're not willing to get your arse pounded by a stiff light CX rig (both are fine option by the way) then aim for something more plush - i.e. 29er.

If funds are a concern and you can only get one rig, and you want it to do everything, well just realize that it won't do everything well. At least it won't be the best tool to choose in all cases or races.
    Overland : Hayduke : Hightower LT : Delirium : Piolet

Members who have read this thread: 0