Vapor Trail 2012- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Vapor Trail 2012

I'm considering this event for 2012. Curious about trail conditions (in general) and the possibility of going rigid fork. Any good blog write ups? Thanks

Team Velveeta™

hard to say about rigid fjork

Quote Originally Posted by jkcustom View Post
    I'm considering this event for 2012. Curious about trail conditions (in general) and the possibility of going rigid fork. Any good blog write ups? Thanks
    Are you thinking of going rigid for a speed advantage for saving weight? I can't say for sure, but unless you bring some mad, mad rigid riding skillz to the project I can't imagine it really saving you that much time. The Colorado Trail from Blanks to Cascade, the Canyon Creek Trail, Starvation Creek descent, Silver Creek descent--I have a hard time imaging that the rididity wouldn't cost you time overall. If you do, roll some big tires I think.

That said, many have rocked rigid rides in the past. This guy rode rigid SS to a 10th place finish in '08:

Best write-up I've ever seen (with killer vid) came from Chris Miller last fall:

Chris Miller's Mt Flyer article/Video
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The Vapor Trail is one hellofa a course - I've raced it the last 5 years all single speed, but never rigid. Because of this course I ditched the mechanical disk brakes and went to 100mm up front. Those descents are so long that my arms hurt just trying to use the brakes so hence the hydraulics, and the speed you carry down Canyon Creek and others make you want the extra travel. Also I had one year with 6 flats, but that was more attributable to my diminished state of mind and NM tainted tires left with some residual and decomposing goat heads in them. But with regard to tires, run wide rims and tire with thick sidewalks because a section on Silver Creek has very sharp rocks. I broke a pedal there one year too. Pack a good drop bag for the Monarch Drop, I was so lucky to have packed an extra pedal that year.

mtbr member
    Thanks so much for the info.

No, the rigid fork is not for speed's sake...mainly weight savings. I am certainly not looking to win...only to survive the thing and live to tell about it!

High country riding will be more than enough challenge coming from low land Minnesota. There are many factors making this one of the most difficult endurance events I would ever consider. I have a high level of respect for this thing. I'm simply collecting info to help sort out some of the basics.

I appreciate the responses. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jkcustom View Post
    Thanks so much for the info.

No, the rigid fork is not for speed's sake...mainly weight savings. I am certainly not looking to win...only to survive the thing and live to tell about it!

High country riding will be more than enough challenge coming from low land Minnesota. There are many factors making this one of the most difficult endurance events I would ever consider. I have a high level of respect for this thing. I'm simply collecting info to help sort out some of the basics.

I appreciate the responses. Thanks!
    For comfort I would recommend suspension.....I have not done this race, but winning times are in the 13 to 14 hour range with many people taking 20 hours to finish this beast. Especially coming from MN and having to deal with the elevation you will ride at a slower pace than what you are used to. Good luck.....I want to race it one of these years, but it does scare me....nasty, nasty course.