Trans Iowa V.2 Recon Photos- Mtbr.com
    TEAM TOPEAK - ERGON

More...

Even more for ya.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 6.JPG (127.7 KB, 411 views)
    • File Type: jpg 7.JPG (192.2 KB, 417 views)
    • File Type: jpg 8.JPG (172.6 KB, 408 views)
    • File Type: jpg 9.JPG (142.0 KB, 404 views)
    • File Type: jpg a.JPG (119.7 KB, 398 views)

TEAM TOPEAK - ERGON

Good job! Trans Iowa V.2 Recon Photos

A little something to wet your whistles.
    Race date should be announced soon!
    • File Type: jpg 1.JPG (134.3 KB, 407 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.JPG (133.7 KB, 404 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.JPG (87.9 KB, 402 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.JPG (88.4 KB, 398 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.JPG (128.8 KB, 404 views)

TEAM TOPEAK - ERGON

Yes. There is more.

This is all of them. I was not on the recon trip...but Guitar Ted was. Maybe he'll chime in and give you some details.
    • File Type: jpg b.JPG (131.1 KB, 389 views)
    • File Type: jpg c.jpg (190.0 KB, 398 views)
    • File Type: jpg d.JPG (89.8 KB, 405 views)

No Reputation!

Yes, yes, any tidbits would be great :)

Let's hope for strong westerly winds like last weekend too

Quote Originally Posted by KERKOVEJ
    This is all of them. I was not on the recon trip...but Guitar Ted was. Maybe he'll chime in and give you some details.

Harmonius Wrench

Okay: Here ya go!

For Fastskiguy and anyone else lurking here.............

The course is aproximately 337 miles long. I say "aproximately" because I was chased off the course by the strong thunderstorms that spawned the twisters that affected Iowa Saturday afternoon. There still is a few bits of "verification" that need to take place.

The length is going to require that we start the race earlier than last year, to allow everyone to finish it within the time limits. The start is tentavily set for 4am. on Saturday morning. The exact date has yet to be confirmed, but that should happen sometime soon, maybe by the end of this week(?).

The parking lot in Algona, which last year was gravel, has been paved and lit beautifully. The cut off to reach Algona will be six pm., as it was last year. There will be more pass through towns, which should aid in re-fueling, but will by necessity cause more navigational challenges. A complete list of pass through towns will be listed on your cue sheets. So, don't ask me now!

I will close by saying that this course will not only be more challenging distance-wise, but will be tougher overall than last years course, even if it was the same distance as last year. The folks looking at this and thinking, "this might be fun to try", or "I am not sure I can do this.." should reconsider entering Trans Iowa V2 and give something else a try. In fact, I'll just come right out and say it. Don't enter! Don't do this event unless you have a record of long distance achievements. That includes brevets, 24hr events, or other "ultra-endurance" type events. Last year, one third of the entrants didn't even make the first check point. Of those that did, less than 20 started out from Algona, and only nine finished out of 51 starters. This year is HARDER! I can't stress that enough! Are you up to the challenge?

And to think that some people consider Iowa "flat and boring"!
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Why Iowa? No, I'm not being sarcastic... as some may question. Is there someone of some importance to mountain biking from the area? Do Pros enter this race or is this a locally organized event? Just curious about the event. Thanks.

TEAM TOPEAK - ERGON
    Quote Originally Posted by iridefar
    Why Iowa? No, I'm not being sarcastic... as some may question. Is there someone of some importance to mountain biking from the area? Do Pros enter this race or is this a locally organized event? Just curious about the event. Thanks.
    Why Iowa? Cause Guitar Ted and myself are from Iowa. Plus racing across Iowa on gravel IS hard!

Is mountain biking huge in Iowa? Not in that Colorado sense. But we can mnt bike

Do Pro's enter? Sure. Some big names are expressing interest for 2006. You don't need to be "pro" to do well. Just a bit of luck, strong legs, strong head, and an good saddle

It's an odd-ball event, that gains a lot of attention to the "crazy" factor. Give it a try, you won't be disappointed...that is unless you attacked by some crazed farmer

Here are some comments after last years event

May 2004
    Having the "Trans Iowa" race in another state would be confusing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Why Iowa? Why Not! Why Iowa? Because its there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Good job!

Thanks for the replies... I wish I had something like that in Kentucky. Iowa is a little too far for me though. Best of luck for V2.

No Reputation!

Now that is funnny

Quote Originally Posted by Fishtoes2000
    Having the "Trans Iowa" race in another state would be confusing.

Plus, where else can you ask the locals "Is this heaven?"

Harmonius Wrench

Here's an idea!

Quote Originally Posted by iridefar
    Thanks for the replies... I wish I had something like that in Kentucky. Iowa is a little too far for me though. Best of luck for V2.
    Why don't you and some of your buddies put on a "Trans Kentucky" event? That'd rock!
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Homey the Clown
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted
    Why don't you and some of your buddies put on a "Trans Kentucky" event? That'd rock!
    I've actually thought of a Trans-Florida. The panhandle is a long way across, but that's where most of the dirt roads and trails. The other problem is that there are lots of rivers with limited crossings. There frequently aren't many dirt roads close to those bridge crossings. It might be possible to come up with something interesting, like a river to river ride from the Appalachicola to the Suwannee.

Harmonius Wrench

It Doesn't Have To "Cross" A State

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo
    I've actually thought of a Trans-Florida. The panhandle is a long way across, but that's where most of the dirt roads and trails. The other problem is that there are lots of rivers with limited crossings. There frequently aren't many dirt roads close to those bridge crossings. It might be possible to come up with something interesting, like a river to river ride from the Appalachicola to the Suwannee.
    I guess the "trans" thing might be a bit discouraging! On rivers: I hear ya! That's one of the reasons we run our race in the northern tiers of counties in Iowa. The rivers either have their headwaters here or are merely creeks, for the most part.

A river to river ride would be excellent! Just make sure it's long enough, and has to be done in a limited amount of time. I'd think that if you could come up with a very large circuit or point to point event of 200-350 miles, you'd have a winner. Maybe something during the early part of the year, to work into others schedules. Say like in March, or even February, to kick off the year right.

Anyway, keep it really simple, low key, and very tough! If you do, it'll be good!
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

TEAM TOPEAK - ERGON

Shhhhhhhhhh.

Members who have read this thread: 0