Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    mtbr member

Recommended training routes?

Does anyone know any decent gravel routes in the Decorah area for some in-region training? I will have the opportunity to drive down to Decorah and try out a ride or two before the race, and if someone knew a good 50-100 mile route I would appreciate if they could share it.

mtbr member
    Thanks Jeff! That's where I'll plan on camping.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

hints

Jeff Kerkove has put some great hints on his site today regarding the 127 check point.

I know I was relieved to figure out where the check point will be!

thejacobsonfamily.blogspot.com

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004

hints

Okay well I think i figured it out too but I'm not sure that makes me feel any different I just don't know Iowa so I'm along for the ride so to speak...
    On-One Lurcher SS
    Speedway Cycles Fatback Ti SS
    1984 Trek 560
    http://slipangles.blogspot.com/ - It's supposed to be fun

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

route

Let's just say that after mile 50 (75 at the latest!) we should be in much flatter territory. Of course, this will be the year we have a 20 mile per hour wind from the west!

TEAM TOPEAK - ERGON
    Quote Originally Posted by paulclimb510
    You think you know.....but you have no idea

TEAM TOPEAK - ERGON

Gravel staus

Gravel Status as of 4/9/07: Extreme suck!

So, I went out for about 70 miles of gravel today with the "local fast old dude," and I must say the gravel conditions have changes a ton over the last few weeks. Lots of new gravel make picking a line an action of swerving from side to side on the road. "Old dude" was on a CX bike, and was having a hell of a time. Plus, the frost is coming out of the ground and in sections there are stretches of 1 foot deep holes and rises in the road that stretch for 100's of yards. NOT CAR FRIENDLY

So choose your equipment wisely

And, yesterday a few of us rode the 6 mile stretch back into Cedar Falls in/on the railroad tracks. OUCHY MAMA! Good thing that's not in TI....or is it

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by KERKOVEJ
    And, yesterday a few of us rode the 6 mile stretch back into Cedar Falls in/on the railroad tracks. OUCHY MAMA! Good thing that's not in TI....or is it
    i bet that's fast as hell when you balance on the rail.

smooth.

(wondering how 700x28s do on railroad ties. not so much wondering as dreading.)

a little work with google maps reveals the checkpoint town. not waterloo, but not far from it (unless jeff's messing with us). not that i can easily do recon from here.

TEAM TOPEAK - ERGON
    Quote Originally Posted by faucho
    a little work with google maps reveals the checkpoint town. not waterloo, but not far from it (unless jeff's messing with us).
    You guys are killing me

mtbr member

Ditto

Gravel Status as of 4/9/07: Extreme suck!

So, I went out for about 70 miles of gravel today with the "local fast old dude," and I must say the gravel conditions have changes a ton over the last few weeks. Lots of new gravel make picking a line an action of swerving from side to side on the road. "Old dude" was on a CX bike, and was having a hell of a time. Plus, the frost is coming out of the ground and in sections there are stretches of 1 foot deep holes and rises in the road that stretch for 100's of yards. NOT CAR FRIENDLY

So choose your equipment wisely

Back to back gravel centuries yesterday and today between here and the 'loo (Traer/ Gladbrook etc., GTDRI turf). Similar conditions.
    Road graders and gravel trucks out in force today.

dp

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Holy Crap!

Dave, you are amazing. You most certainly will be finishing this beast!!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

check point

You think you know.....but you have no idea
    I certainly am aware that there will be lots of rollers. I am just happy that the first 127 miles isn't all hills in the northeast corner of the state.

Seriously, I am just hoping to make it to the check point!

TEAM TOPEAK - ERGON

Prizing...

Um........yeah........so.......I got an e-mail from one of the "racers" in the Trans-Iowa event asking about prizing.
    Is there prizing? Yes, to some extent.
    Is the prize going to equate to your effort? Prolly not. Ok, it WILL NOT.
    If you are coming for the prizing....you better think twice. This race is about find yourself, pushing beyond your normal limit, and seeing something as you give out this massive effort. Take this time to think long and hard why you are doing this event

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004

First prize

First prize is awarded to anyone who finishes. Once at the finishing line, GT and Jeff will help your tired self load your bike into a truck. Once there you will procede to the closest body of water where they will assist you in hurling said bike into said water with a primal scream
    On-One Lurcher SS
    1984 Trek 560

mtbr member
    Um........yeah........so.......I got an e-mail from one of the "racers" in the Trans-Iowa event asking about prizing.
    Is there prizing? Yes, to some extent.
    Is the prize going to equate to your effort? Prolly not. Ok, it WILL NOT.
    If you are coming for the prizing....you better think twice. This race is about find yourself, pushing beyond your normal limit, and seeing something as you give out this massive effort. Take this time to think long and hard why you are doing this event
    WHAT?! You mean an event with zero entry fee has no prize list? Jeesh.

As we are talking about winners and ... not winners, have you guys given any additional thought to what happens if no one makes the check points in time? For me, if no one made the checkpoints by the time limit, I would really like to see a placing based on who made it the furthest. Last year Dallas and Lindsey worked their butts off and rode further than anyone. They did get dibs on the best prizes, but their names aren't enshrined anywhere on a list of who's who. Also, who was the guy who made it the third furthest? The fourth? I have no idea. This info isn't recorded anywhere.

Last year when it was clear to me that I wasn't going to be anywhere near the checkpoint by the time limit I had no motivation to keep plugging away. I think that, should the same circumstances happen this year as happened last year, a "who made it furthest" listing may give me the motivation I need to keep going.

These pseudo placings would only go into effect if no one made the checkpoints by the time limit. They wouldn't be official placings, because only a complete finish of the loop would count for that. However, I could imagine on your webpage a comment like "No one actually finished Trans Iowa v3.0, so there was no winner. Here is a list of who made it the furthest".

Take this idea or leave it. I just think that, if it would be used, it would be best to spell it out in advance rather than on the fly during the race. That way, when weak minded people like myself face impossible goals, they can lower their sites a little and go for the bronze if not the gold.

mtbr member

thejacobsonfamily.blogspot.com
    Could be right but I always live by this motto:
    Attached Images Attached Images

No Reputation!
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbidwell
    Could be right but I always live by this motto:
    Is that a poster? I need that!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fastskiguy
    Is that a poster? I need that!
    Nope, just a pic from last summers GTDeathRideInvitational. Thought it fit.

Really I am that slow
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbidwell
    Nope, just a pic from last summers GTDeathRideInvitational. Thought it fit.

Very nicely done could I nab that for my blog sometime?
    Read my BLOG!

just a guy who loves bikes and exploring

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowerThenSnot
    Very nicely done could I nab that for my blog sometime?
    You bet, your blog rocks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Four days without a post! Oh my!

Jim McGuire and I headed over to Decorah this past Saturday to go check out the roads around Decorah. We found that the road conditions, at least on Saturday, were perfect. The roads actually had little to no gravel on the majority of the surface. It was more like riding on a limestone slab than gravel. I would say it was very close to pavement. Of course, there were a few soft spots, but hardly any. There were long 1 mile climbs about every 10 miles or so along with numerous 30-70 foot rollers. If we ride many roads with the title Ridge on the name you will be happy as they tend to run long the tops, like ridges do! on the creek and river valleys, in other words, pretty flat considering the terrian. Overall, the conditions were fast. On some of the climbs we were done to 8-9 (were slow though and were taking it easy) and the down hills were 30 plus. All I can say is the roads were flawless compared to central Iowa gravel roads.

Not much longer now.

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004

So close

I can't believe I'm starting my taper and finalizing all my details. Last weekend was big miles but physically I think I'm as ready as I'm going to be. Time to rest and change the 2x2 back to an official singlespeed for the event. No need to be riding trails on it for the next 2 weeks.

Can't wait to meet all you there, especially those of you who I've only talked to via MTBR and bloggerland.
    On-One Lurcher SS
    1984 Trek 560

mtbr member
    Jim McGuire and I headed over to Decorah this past Saturday to go check out the roads around Decorah. We found that the road conditions, at least on Saturday, were perfect. The roads actually had little to no gravel on the majority of the surface. It was more like riding on a limestone slab than gravel. I would say it was very close to pavement. Of course, there were a few soft spots, but hardly any. There were long 1 mile climbs about every 10 miles or so along with numerous 30-70 foot rollers. If we ride many roads with the title Ridge on the name you will be happy as they tend to run long the tops, like ridges do! on the creek and river valleys, in other words, pretty flat considering the terrian. Overall, the conditions were fast. On some of the climbs we were done to 8-9 (were slow though and were taking it easy) and the down hills were 30 plus. All I can say is the roads were flawless compared to central Iowa gravel roads.

Not much longer now.
    Damm-u Paul! Here I go second guessing tire choice again. Reverting to the skinnies as well as a second chamois.

Faster = m 'ass x agitation

dp

Harmonius Wrench

Tire second guessing

There will be lots of tire swapping just prior to the event. Enough so that it will even shame a NASCAR pit crew!

Plenty o rain forecast tween now and event time. If it happens, there will be tire levers and pumps getting a workout all over!

Plus the fact that alot of peeps won't even show up if it rains. That's an interesting dynamic that we experienced last year.

(Going now to check on the latest forecsat......)
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004

I ain't changing

My tire choice is set, wet or dry. Gearing could change at most 2 teeth in really heinous conditions. I wish we would know the actual weather already but really we're too far out for that yet I guess.
    On-One Lurcher SS
    1984 Trek 560

No Reputation!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pivvay
    My tire choice is set, wet or dry. Gearing could change at most 2 teeth in really heinous conditions. I wish we would know the actual weather already but really we're too far out for that yet I guess.
    You know, I ain't changing either. I'm just sure that a mutanoraptor 26X2.4 rear and a crow 29X2.0 front is the hot setup. I sure would like to get lucky and not ride in the rain this year

But it looks like rain for day 1 right now

http://wwwa.accuweather.com/forecast...52101&metric=0

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004

Weather

I'm ignoring the weather forecasts for race day until next week. I don't really trust them at this point anyway.

I will be watching current weather to see if it has rained but I will toe the line no matter what. My plane ticket is non-refundable and so is my determination.
    On-One Lurcher SS
    1984 Trek 560

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    based on the weather the last two years, I think we can expect flood, earthquakes and/or shitstorms followed by plagues of frogs. I don't have the tires to match any of those conditions.

it should be a scene.

mtbr member
    obscene is correct... but I'll ride what i have.

The gravel, wind, length of ride, backcountry supply (lack of) availability, lack of sleep, unknown route, and general isolation are enough... who can we pay to get some dry warmth from now until the ride is over?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by troyef
    obscene is correct... but I'll ride what i have.
    who can we pay to get some dry warmth from now until the ride is over?

Me brother. One bottle of my elixir not only ensures dry weather, but cures for all evils including gambling, womanizing, consumption, and possibly even the gout.

It can turn the shitstorms and plagues of frogs into a tasty Ragoût de grenouille.

Harmonius Wrench

Just a reminder

Thanks to those of you that have e-mailed me that you can't make it. It helps with the preparations. Please do e-mail if you find that you are deciding against this, as I don't want to lug up more than I need to Decorah on race day.

A final pre-drive of the course is planned for this weekend to assure there aren't any construction snafus, or other concerns. I'll let you all know if there is anything strange next week.

Finally, just to be clear to all of you, Jeff isn't going to be at this years running of the event. He has a new job and will be out of town working that weekend. I have a few volunteers lined up to help out, so I should be good with the help this year.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004
    Well accuweather pretty much just totally changed their forcast so I'm just going to keep ignoring it...

Thanks for all the hard work GTed. Driving 320+ miles takes a while!!

See everyone in just about a week
    On-One Lurcher SS
    1984 Trek 560

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004
    Another change in the forecast, this is funny

Made my hotel reservation in Rochester for Thursday night so I can get some good sleep in an actual bed. I'll pickup my rental car and drive down to Decorah in the morning after I sleep in and get some good breakfast. Mike and Dave should show up with my bike in the afternoon. If anyone wants to do some group dinner plans somewhere with Dave, Mike and me let me know. I can't believe go time is barely more than a week away!
    On-One Lurcher SS
    1984 Trek 560

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pivvay
    Another change in the forecast, this is funny

Made my hotel reservation in Rochester for Thursday night so I can get some good sleep in an actual bed. I'll pickup my rental car and drive down to Decorah in the morning after I sleep in and get some good breakfast. Mike and Dave should show up with my bike in the afternoon. If anyone wants to do some group dinner plans somewhere with Dave, Mike and me let me know. I can't believe go time is barely more than a week away!
    Chris-

Some of us getting together at Mabe's downtown (downtown is just across the river and from Pulpit Rock campground then down the main drag) I'll let Paul chime in if he wants. I know my brother would like to see Dave again.

D.P.

Harmonius Wrench

Important Announcement!!!!

THERE HAS BEEN A CHANGE OF PLAN FOR THE PRE-RACE MEET UP!!

I have gotten a call from T-Bocks today and they are willing to put us up in their upper room for the pre-race meeting. This means that I will not be at the motel handing out cue sheets as stated earlier!! Please note this and remind those you know that are coming.

The times will be Friday, 7pm-9pm at T-Bock's in their Upper Room.

There will be beer served, but at this time there will not be a meal provided, so please either eat earlier or afterwards. T-Bock's has excellent fare downstairs, and also Mabe's Pizza which is just down the street.

What will be going down: The gathering will commence at 7:00pm with the official roll call and handing out of race bags (cue sheets will be in there) at approximately 7:30pm. I will make my pre race announcements including any special instructions and rules at this time. Then we will have a Q & A time after which you are free to go.

If you are not in town by 7:00pm and can not make it to the meet up, then your chances of getting the cue sheets is gone. There will be minimal time to allow for such things as fishing around for cue sheets at 3:45am at the start line as I'll have all of it packed away. If you miss this meet up, you'll likely miss the event. Don't miss this meeting!

Why the last minute change? Because this allows me to get everyone together in one easy to find place at one time to get the meeting out of the way. That way, all you and I have to do is show up at the start line on time to get the ride kicked off. No shouting in the dark and waking up the neighborhood dogs! This was my original plan, but an e-mail snafu caused this last minute change.

Okay, got questions? This is your e-mail and your only e-mail. (Jeff is out of town for over a week) g.ted.productions@gmail.com Ask any and all questions or use this e-mail to alert me if you are dropping out.

Thanks!
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member

weather man

Quote Originally Posted by bd.sahib
    It can turn the shitstorms and plagues of frogs into a tasty Ragoût de grenouille.
    Yesterday intellicast.com says, "death and pestalence to all riding in TIV3. It will be raining like hell and suggest arcs in lew of bicycles."

Today intellicast.com says, "abundant sunshine."

My cat says it will be overcast and a little windy with a slight chance of rain.

I believe my cat.
    make bicycles part of life, not part of a lifestyle

read my blog - east side cyclist

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

weather

At least there isn't a huge low pressure cell coming like last year!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Pizza At Mabe's at 5:30!

I called Mabe's Pizza in Decorah and they have a room that will hold 90 people. I have reserved the room in the name of Trans Iowa for 5:30 on Friday night. This will be the unofficial carbo loading meet and greet! Come one, Come all!

I look forward to meeting all of the other people on this planet that are just crazy enough to do this race!

Paul Jacobson

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004
    Thanks Paul! I'm planning on being there and I'm guessing Mike and David Nice will be joining me as well. Maybe a couple more too.

Then GTed's meeting and off to sleep for me.
    On-One Lurcher SS
    1984 Trek 560

mtbr member
    Paul

Thanks for making the arrangements at Mabe's. You can pencil me in along with one other person for the carbo loading feast.

Scott Cole

Harmonius Wrench

Partial report

I have just completed inspecting two thirds of the course today. The rest I'll look at tomorrow. A partial report here.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

No Reputation!

TI3 Bikes

OK, equipment selection *hopefully* is pretty well certain by now, right? Let's see those gravel flyers!

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...16#post2980516

mtbr member

food

Quote Originally Posted by Scoletrain
    Paul

Thanks for making the arrangements at Mabe's. You can pencil me in along with one other person for the carbo loading feast.

Scott Cole
    table for 4 please.

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004

TIv3 Bikes

Let me finish up a few minor details today and I'll get a good picture up there

Time to go supply and battery shopping... muauahahahahahaha
    On-One Lurcher SS
    1984 Trek 560

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

sucks to be me

Well just came back from a 50mile 3 hour ride on gravel roads and during that Time I planned on making my decision about T.I., I did and it doesn't look good.
    Originally I wanted it to be a last summer "PARTY DOWN" with Paddy before he split but since his injury and that coupled with my two weeks of traveling expenses I'm going to have to throw in the towel for T.I.
    If by some chance Paddy decides that he does want to go I'll just credit card the trip and be thankful for the memories but that's not likely as he rarely changes his mind.
    I would like to give everyone my absolute best wishes and I hope every single one of you finish and then post write ups about how awesome it was.
    Thank you G.T and J.K for the opportunity again this year, i really do appreciate the hard work that went into it .
    I would like to say for the record that my legs are fine and this decision has nothing to do with the dns I'm about to receive.I will do a local randoneer 200km next Saturday and pretend that I'm part of the great experience you're all about to have.
    the hardest part of missing opportunities like this is that I know the memories would be worth all the effort and cash and that is really what life is about.I guess I'll just have to look at next weekend like my beloved road races and followonline

Dallas "it's never fun to be left out." Sigurdur

No Reputation!
    Well that just busts up my ride good. Dang. I was going to just follow you all the way to the finish line as I noted your impeccable pacing last year. This tactic, and a more comfortable seat, were my "secret weapons" for this event. Now, sadly, all is shattered.

Maybe Paddy should get a real tongue lashing, I don't know.

All I can say is that your pace will be there in spirit! Hopefully.....TI4?

Quote Originally Posted by dmsigurdur
    Well just came back from a 50mile 3 hour ride on gravel roads and during that Time I planned on making my decision about T.I., I did and it doesn't look good.
    Originally I wanted it to be a last summer "PARTY DOWN" with Paddy before he split but since his injury and that coupled with my two weeks of traveling expenses I'm going to have to throw in the towel for T.I.
    If by some chance Paddy decides that he does want to go I'll just credit card the trip and be thankful for the memories but that's not likely as he rarely changes his mind.
    I would like to give everyone my absolute best wishes and I hope every single one of you finish and then post write ups about how awesome it was.
    Thank you G.T and J.K for the opportunity again this year, i really do appreciate the hard work that went into it .
    I would like to say for the record that my legs are fine and this decision has nothing to do with the dns I'm about to receive.I will do a local randoneer 200km next Saturday and pretend that I'm part of the great experience you're all about to have.
    the hardest part of missing opportunities like this is that I know the memories would be worth all the effort and cash and that is really what life is about.I guess I'll just have to look at next weekend like my beloved road races and followonline

Dallas "it's never fun to be left out." Sigurdur

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

who knows

Maybe Paddy will realize that you kids miss him and he'll change his mind. In fact why don't you all flood his blog with requests.
    As for this year, I think the rooster (IRA) is coming back to keep everyone in line

Now get back to spike channel , it's U.F.C time.
    FIGHT, FIGHT,FIGHT!!!!!!!

Dallas "I like seeing guys beat the **** out of each other." Sigurdur

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Dallas ! will you be up at Wausua ,Wi for the Nationals ?

I talked to you after your race in Pekin and was looking forward to riding with you at T-3

No Squirrel , Paddy , Jeff or Dallas ......BUMMER !

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

hello there

Quote Originally Posted by How27spd
    Dallas ! will you be up at Wausua ,Wi for the Nationals ?

I talked to you after your race in Pekin and was looking forward to riding with you at T-3

No Squirrel , Paddy , Jeff or Dallas ......BUMMER !
    It was nice to meet you at pekin and it would have been great to get a few miles in together this weekend if things had worked out.
    I do plan on going to nationals as I always have a great time there , with the awesome ss course and great people how can you not I guess. I'll definitely be bringing Paddy along as I cannot see him getting there once he moves, the drive would be to far.
    I was at a provincial mtb race today (to watch) and man oh man did I regret not racing as I'm sure I'll be in the same boat this weekend watching the web cast on-line.

Have a great time this weekend and I'll be hoping for great weather this weekend for you kids

Dallas " man I have the T.I bug right now." Sigurdur

your ankles are fat
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dmsigurdur
    I'll definitely be bringing Paddy along as I cannot see him getting there once he moves, the drive would be to far.
    Dallas " man I have the T.I bug right now." Sigurdur
    Sorry, won't be at 24hr Nat's this summer... next year is definitely possible though...as the drive from our future digs looks to be a short 20hr drive to Wi...or Iowa...and as far as this coming weekend goes, and both Jeff and Mark know this, I won't be there...that said, it'll be interesting though to see if and how many racers get added to the
    TI finishers list... it's presently a short one if memory serves me.
    Last edited by PaddyH; 04-22-2007 at 09:25 PM.

Harmonius Wrench

Trans Iowa "Radio" hitting the "airwaves" again!

I am glad to say that you folks wondering about this whole Trans Iowa thing can follow along again this year thanks to Ride424.com . They have hooked me up with an audio update link and I'll be posting from the event live.

This is cool since it's a 30 plus hour event and lots can happen that I will be able to communicate by gathering data from my volunteers, racers, and spectators along the way.

Thanks to Karl at Ride424 for letting me get the word out this coming weekend!

I also want to point out that live feeds from the Dirt, Sweat, and Gears 12 hour will also be available at Ride424 this coming Saturday the 28th. And a week later, in Cool, California, the live feed will be up again for the Coolest 24 Hour Race Against Cancer.

I feel that endurance events lend themselves to this sort of coverage and I would love to see it expanded and have even more in depth coverage from promoters, racers, and spectators. Not professional, T.V. grade stuff, but lo-fi, from the people reports and updates.

Anyway, a mini rant for ya!

Look for a preliminary race report in the next few days!
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Really I am that slow
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted
    I am glad to say that you folks wondering about this whole Trans Iowa thing can follow along again this year thanks to Ride424.com . They have hooked me up with an audio update link and I'll be posting from the event live.

This is cool since it's a 30 plus hour event and lots can happen that I will be able to communicate by gathering data from my volunteers, racers, and spectators along the way.

Thanks to Karl at Ride424 for letting me get the word out this coming weekend!

I also want to point out that live feeds from the Dirt, Sweat, and Gears 12 hour will also be available at Ride424 this coming Saturday the 28th. And a week later, in Cool, California, the live feed will be up again for the Coolest 24 Hour Race Against Cancer.

I feel that endurance events lend themselves to this sort of coverage and I would love to see it expanded and have even more in depth coverage from promoters, racers, and spectators. Not professional, T.V. grade stuff, but lo-fi, from the people reports and updates.

Anyway, a mini rant for ya!

Look for a preliminary race report in the next few days!
    SWEET!

good stuff i'll post a link soon!
    Read my BLOG!

No Reputation!
    I'm sure everybody has been monitoring the forecasts reguarly but with a little rain now then a couple of days to dry up we might have perfect conditions. And not too windy either

http://wwwa.accuweather.com/forecast...etric=0&fday=4

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004

Weather

I don't know if I can stomach any more weather reports and GTed's comments I know he's only trying to be honest but the constant good/bad/good/bad might make me nuts!

I'm toeing the line no matter what and the bags are packed with a reasonable assortment of gear. The bike leaves my hands tonight. My my this is getting close...
    On-One Lurcher SS
    1984 Trek 560

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Seriously don't worry, it will be fine!

The B roads will be horrible though. Watch for gravel updates on my blog. If they are fine in my neck of the woods they will be fine outside of Decorah as they are getting less rain than we are.

Bike Junky
    Jan 2004
    Honestly, I don't know how the rest of you remain calm and collected. (Maybe you don't.) I feel so under-prepared and second-guessing equipment selection, clothing, and food. Wow... This is going to be fun? See ya Friday at Mabes. I'll be the guy looking white as a ghost and worried.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    The B roads will be horrible though. Watch for gravel updates on my blog. If they are fine in my neck of the woods they will be fine outside of Decorah as they are getting less rain than we are.
    thanks for the updates. based on what i've seen, i'm sticking with the panaracer paselas:

but i'll be checkin' your blog tomorrow mornin' for sure!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Worry

I do not see the point of worry at this time. It is over, the weather is what the weather is. You are as prepared physically as you are going to be for the ride and your bike decision should be made by now. At this point we are just going for a ride. It may be a long ride but it is just a ride. Some of the roads will be like riding on concrete, some will suck ****, we knew that in December when we signed up. Let's go ride.
    Cars Suck

No Reputation!
    Quote Originally Posted by funky-funky-chicken
    Honestly, I don't know how the rest of you remain calm and collected. (Maybe you don't.) I feel so under-prepared and second-guessing equipment selection, clothing, and food. Wow... This is going to be fun? See ya Friday at Mabes. I'll be the guy looking white as a ghost and worried.
    Nothing to be worried about, it's gonna be a great adventure! And with good pacing and plenty of eating, who knows how far we'll get? And gee, you might even make some new friends along the way.

As far as equipement, it's almost a sure thing that somebody else will be riding the same kind of setup, there's a huge range of stuff from road bike to dual sussys. Yeah, one might work better but it mostly depends on who you ask. I think last year mountain bikes made it the farthest....except for the road bike (with road (!) tires) that was right up there. The first year cross bikes ended up fastest.

Training? Well, I think almost everybody is feeling pretty underprepared. Maybe there's 5 or 10 guys who have been logging big miles all winter but most of us (maybe?) are "regular" people who are just trying to get in 5-10 hours per week over the winter and sometimes coming up a bit short. Or maybe everybody else is really getting in centuries twice a week, I guess I don't know.

Most people aren't getting in centuries twice a week, right? <getting nervous now>

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

I'll be with you all in spirit!

I can't believe this weather. 4" in DSM in the past 24 hours. It is a day just like last year. I posted my story on www.cyclingupdate.com Where Hell Began. I hope you enjoy it... and I hope this Low moves on as predicted and it is as beautiful and warm as they say. Really, sounds like you'll need your sunscreen!

Good luck and have fun! - I'll look forward to your stories post ride!
    Peace - Dave

Harmonius Wrench

Important Updates!!

Go to the Trans Iowa site now for further updates on the post race activities and some start line info.

While I respect paulclimbs judgements, I must tell you that from reports that I am gathering the current road conditions run the gamut from excellent to downright nasty- without including the B roads- which are obviously going to be very similar to last year's conditions.

So far the course has recieved anywhere from a quarter inch of rain in some sections to as much as three plus inches in others within the last 48 hours.

As I type this, it's pouring rain outside and has been since 9:00am this morning!

Griffin has it right. It's time to fahgeddabowditt and just get yer ridin' groove on!

See ya at 7:00pm at T-Bock's, ya'all!
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Rusting Steel
    Most people aren't getting in centuries twice a week, right? <getting nervous now>
    No, not twice a week,at least thrice a week most of the time.

(i kid i kid) Excited to get up North and mingle a bit before starting all the fun.

mtbr member

incentive

OK kids. Our good friend Fred from Team Remax-Yazoo has come up with a little somethin' to keep everyone motivated.

1st person to drop out (not finish), has to wear the chamios of the first guy in. Fortunately for the gentleman dropping out, he won't have to wear them correctly. They will be placed on his head for the duration of the awards. During the time the 1st to drop out enjoys 320 miles of chamios bliss, the owner of the chamios will enjoy a fresh, crisp Yazoo beer, courtesy of Dan from Team Remax-Yazoo. Injuries are not considered dropping out.

Thanks Fred...

See you guys friday night.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Hilarious!

I guess I won't be showing up to the awards then huh!

As for central Iowa gravel.... let's say I could go kayaking down the ditches right now. The roads are WORSE than last year. BUT, come Saturday morning they will be fine

Northeastern Iowa has had a lot less rain than central Iowa. Thank GOD! Now, the Waterloo area is still under water and that will be interesting. The B roads? Bring your floaties. And I am serious about that!

I swear GT has it in with God and can make it rain on a moments notice.

Really I am that slow
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hensley
    OK kids. Our good friend Fred from Team Remax-Yazoo has come up with a little somethin' to keep everyone motivated.

1st person to drop out (not finish), has to wear the chamios of the first guy in. Fortunately for the gentleman dropping out, he won't have to wear them correctly. They will be placed on his head for the duration of the awards. During the time the 1st to drop out enjoys 320 miles of chamios bliss, the owner of the chamios will enjoy a fresh, crisp Yazoo beer, courtesy of Dan from Team Remax-Yazoo. Injuries are not considered dropping out.

Thanks Fred...

See you guys friday night.
    What if you aren't wearing a chamios?
    Read my BLOG!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

jealous

Man I am so jealous right now. Although the conditions aren't great the memories will be. Last year was rough condition wise but think of all the good that came out of it

Paul I've tried to post on your blog but I cannot register so I'll wish you (and everyone else) the best of luck.

Dallas " man you guys are going to have some great beer drinking stories" Sigurdur

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Do I get an award for the most posts?

Current gravel conditions in CENTRAL Iowa here!

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    unless i break down, mentally or mechanically, i know I won't be the first one out. if the roads are rideable i think i can make it. probably foolish confidence, but yeah, see you guys at t-bocks and the start line. and hopefully the finish.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

Harmonius Wrench

Just to be perfectly clear....

I've seen some errant information regarding this event out there, so to clear up any misconceptions, here is the official, up to the minute info on Trans Iowa.

Pre-Race meeting: Mandatory. Friday, April 27th. Starts at 7:00pm at T-Bock's Bar and Grill in the upper room. Best accessed from the back of the building.

Starts: Line up at 3:45am. Official start is a nuetral roll out at 4am. on April 28th.

First leg: 131.7 miles to the checkpoint

Checkpoint closes at 6:00pm sharp Saturday evening. Anyone not getting there by then is automatically DQ'ed

Finish line: 324 miles from the start. Event ends at 2:00pm, Sunday, April 29th. Anyone left out there
    beyond 2:00pm is outside the time limit

Awards Ceremonies: Starts at 2:30pm sharp in T-Bock's Upper Room. Ends approximately at 3:30pm.

Any questions?

See ya Friday!
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Any questions?

See ya Friday!
    Yeah, ya need any help setting up Friday?

Thanks again for everthing.

D.P.

Harmonius Wrench

If yer around......

Quote Originally Posted by bd.sahib
    Yeah, ya need any help setting up Friday?

Thanks again for everthing.

D.P.
    Give me a call on my cell phone on Friday. I should be in Decorah by mid-morning. I'll let you know how frazzled things are!

See ya there!
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004
    I'll probably be in Decorah before Mr.Nice and Mike show up so if you need another hand let me know. Just send a phone number to chris at shiftedthinking dot com.

See ya'll there. Just finished a really short (because of rain) 10k time trial. Can you say cross eyed for 15 minutes? Total opposite of this weekend
    On-One Lurcher SS
    1984 Trek 560

mtbr member

Worst case scenario

G-Ted,

Assuming the very worst, that not a single person makes it to the first checkpoint by the time cut, do you have some alternate plans?

For instance, if this happens will the award ceremonies still occur at T-Bocks at 2:30 on Sunday?

If no one makes it to the first (or second!) time checks, is there any chance you would consider tracking who made it furthest? I can imagine an honor system where people who call in to say they are dropping notify you at the time of their milage at time of DNF. When you cross their name off the list, you could write this number down, then, if no one makes it, you could list this on your webpage for bragging rights.

This wouldn't be an official finish and the list of finishers would remain limited to those hearty souls who made it in V1. But it may help people who realize that they can't get to the finish line by the cutoff to find the motivation to grind on for as long as they can anyways.

mtbr member

Race updates at Ride424

Hey everyone,

We'll have audio updates during the race at www.ride424.com, tell your friends & family to check it out this weekend. Big thanks to G-Ted for keeping folks updated during the race! I know I'll be listening in.

Cheers
    Karl Etzel
    Silicon Valley Cycling Center - Premium Custom Bikes
    Bike fitting specialists for road & MTB
    BikeConcierge

mtbr member

Parking

G-Ted,

I asked this question before and it was answered by Jeff, but it seems the answer is no longer applicable. I asked where we should park in order to avoid having 100 cars filling the parking lots of hotels on Saturday night when no one will be staying beyond Friday night. Jeff suggested we park along Ice Cave road, but I see that the Trans-Iowa website says NOT to park there, that cars will in fact be towed at the owner's expense because of the time trial.

Do you recommend we leave our cars at the place where we stay Friday night, or do you suggest a different place for cars to park long term?

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Morlahach
    G-Ted,

I asked this question before and it was answered by Jeff, but it seems the answer is no longer applicable. I asked where we should park in order to avoid having 100 cars filling the parking lots of hotels on Saturday night when no one will be staying beyond Friday night. Jeff suggested we park along Ice Cave road, but I see that the Trans-Iowa website says NOT to park there, that cars will in fact be towed at the owner's expense because of the time trial.
    Yes, please DO NOT park on Ice Cave Road!! It is a routinely used avenue during the Decorah Time Trials and I in no way want to clog up Rich Gosen's premier event with cars from Trans Iowa. Thanks for taking note of that!

Do you recommend we leave our cars at the place where we stay Friday night, or do you suggest a different place for cars to park long term?
    You should check in with your lodging provider and explain your situation. Communication goes a long way towards alleviating problems. You might find a reasonable solution is quite easy if you do this. At the worst, you could be directed to public parking near the downtown area. I'm sure the locals that work the motels there will be quite knowledgable and helpful.

Decorah will be chock full of mountain bikers all weekend due to the Sunday Decorah time trials. Rich Gosen told me he expects around 170-180 riders on Sunday. So, who is to say your vehicle isn't there for the Time Trials on Sunday?

It's not a big deal, Brian. I'm sure you'll find a solution!
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Harmonius Wrench

Did you see the website update?

G-Ted,

Assuming the very worst, that not a single person makes it to the first checkpoint by the time cut, do you have some alternate plans?

For instance, if this happens will the award ceremonies still occur at T-Bocks at 2:30 on Sunday?

If no one makes it to the first (or second!) time checks, is there any chance you would consider tracking who made it furthest? I can imagine an honor system where people who call in to say they are dropping notify you at the time of their milage at time of DNF. When you cross their name off the list, you could write this number down, then, if no one makes it, you could list this on your webpage for bragging rights.

This wouldn't be an official finish and the list of finishers would remain limited to those hearty souls who made it in V1. But it may help people who realize that they can't get to the finish line by the cutoff to find the motivation to grind on for as long as they can anyways.
    If no one makes the time checks, there will be no finishers, officially. If you riders want bragging rights as to who went the farthest, that's between you guys.

All prizing will be distributed at the discretion of me if no one finishes. You might not like how I accomplish that, but then again.........it's not your event to run.

Having said that, I highly doubt that this will even have to be considered. In fact, I fully expect several finishers this time. Three or four times the amount of the first running.

Good Luck, Brian, I'll see you tomorrow!
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    If no one makes the time checks, there will be no finishers, officially. If you riders want bragging rights as to who went the farthest, that's between you guys.

All prizing will be distributed at the discretion of me if no one finishes. You might not like how I accomplish that, but then again.........it's not your event to run.

Having said that, I highly doubt that this will even have to be considered. In fact, I fully expect several finishers this time. Three or four times the amount of the first running.

Good Luck, Brian, I'll see you tomorrow!
    G-Ted,

I am super psyched about this event and it was all I could talk about at work today. Thanks again for putting it on.

I am not suggesting that this is my event to run nor in any way suggesting that you are doing things wrong. I just wanted to clarify what would happen if no one makes it to the time checks. Last year I went home direct from where my wife picked me up, and when I got home I checked the web and found out that the awards ceremony happened in Algona and that I had missed it. You may remember mailing me my drop bag (thanks again!) because I wasn't where I was supposed to be. I didn't want to make that mistake again if the circumstances were repeated, so I asked my "what if" question.

No Reputation!
    G-Ted,

If no one makes it to the first (or second!) time checks, is there any chance you would consider tracking who made it furthest?
    Not to totally beat this but on the TI3 website it says this:

"In the event that there are no finishers in any or all categories, the prizes will be awarded to the persons finishing the furthest up the course, as far as that can be determined. If it is not possible to determine a set of winners in this manner the prizes will be raffled off at my discretion. No prizes will be going home with me!"

Which sounds pretty dang reasonable. As far as bragging rights, well, does that really matter? (but only 6 guys went farther than me last year LOL

I've gotta tell you, these pics on Paul Jacobsen's blog really has me suffering from PTSD.

http://thejacobsonfamily.blogspot.co...4/ouch_25.html

It looks ever bit as bad as I remember from last year. Sticky, sloppy mud caked all over the bike and body, increasing the rider/bike combo to about 300#. Crap, I need some short acting benzodiazepins...now!

mtbr member

I've gotta tell you, these pics on Paul Jacobsen's blog really has me suffering from PTSD.

http://thejacobsonfamily.blogspot.co...4/ouch_25.html

It looks ever bit as bad as I remember from last year. Sticky, sloppy mud caked all over the bike and body, increasing the rider/bike combo to about 300#. Crap, I need some short acting benzodiazepins...now!
    Yeah, those pictures had me totally rethink my tires. I was going to go fat and cushy to try to prevent hand and arm fatigue from the gravel road buzz. Now my decision is totally based on shedding mud. I went from 52 mm and having modest clearance for mud to 30 mm and enough clearance to pass an elephant pie between my tires and stays/fork.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Guys Guys Guys

Hold on a moment! I live just outside of Ames Iowa. We received at least 4 inches of rain. Decorah hardly had anything compared to us. Plus the roads up there are going to be great. Remember, on my site I said that the roads were still hard and fast. I would most certainly still go with skinny tires. The only mud we will be seeing is on the B roads and we just might be walking our bikes anyway! Or at best riding them in the ditches. I would stay with the skinny tires. I went out tonight to dry, fast gravel after having 4 inches of rain not less than a day ago! We will be fine in Decorah!

No Reputation!
    Hold on a moment! I live just outside of Ames Iowa. We received at least 4 inches of rain. Decorah hardly had anything compared to us. Plus the roads up there are going to be great. Remember, on my site I said that the roads were still hard and fast. I would most certainly still go with skinny tires. The only mud we will be seeing is on the B roads and we just might be walking our bikes anyway! Or at best riding them in the ditches. I would stay with the skinny tires. I went out tonight to dry, fast gravel after having 4 inches of rain not less than a day ago! We will be fine in Decorah!
    The gravel looked OK in the pics, not even dusty but those B's, man, they look terrible!

That is amazing, fast gravel < 24 hours after the rain....totally amazing! I like the sound of that

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Today's conditions

I rode for a bit after school today. The roads are in awesome shape. We are very blessed this year with awesome gravel conditions and the weather seems to be ideal!

I have some new pictures up at thejacobsonfamily.blogspot.com. Don't let the water scare you... the roads are in awesome shape.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

no go. have fun.

couldn’t bring myself to make the drive solo this year.

should have some finishers this year. have fun guys.

thanks mark and jeff.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Anyone else get a brazilian wax for the event?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

shitty for me

Well I got off work early and the wife gave me permission to go to Iowa but the problem is that I cannot make it to the prerace meeting . I wouldn't even be there till around 11 pm.
    Just when you think things are going your way the rug gets pulled out from under you
    Oh well I'll just pout and keep the car packed in case the prerace meeting becomes a soft rule.

Dallas " sometime sit happens and sometimes it doesn't." Sigurdur

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Dallas!

Get your ass to the race! I will have your cue sheets. Seriously! I will see you tomorrow morning!

Call me at 641 232 0027 if you are coming!
    Last edited by paulclimb510; 04-27-2007 at 11:25 AM.

No Reputation!
    Get your ass to the race! I will have your cue sheets. Seriously! I will see you tomorrow morning!

Call me at 614 2320027 if you are coming!
    The "Pace-man" cometh, excellent! Gonna get my posse on your wheel Dallas, looking forward to it!

your ankles are fat
    Aug 2004
    Dallas, if yer still at home, a couple of us are SSin' down to Altona and back on Sunday at 6:30am, a baby ride at 200+km, you know where to find me if yer interested...

....otherwise good luck to y'all, looks like the weather gods are gonna play nice!

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    i am now home from this event. good lord that was hard. i dropped out after about 150 miles. We(mt teammate and I) were both pretty beat and knew we weren't gonna make the whole way, so we started looking for a lift back to our hotel. we could have gone 20-30 more miles if not more, if we had needed to but luckly for us we didn't. we showered at a friend;s hotel room and drove the 3+ hours home. fun event, good god i'm ****ing tired.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Smoked

Wow. The first 60+ miles of climbing really took it's toll on me. I ended up calling it shortly after the checkpoint after realizing I didn't have another 200 miles in me. Great weather, and the roads were better than I could have hoped for. Just one question, what was that smell coming up the hill about 20'ish miles from the start!? I think the stench is still in my clothes! I have some serious soul searching to do before I do this event again. I think the amount of training it takes to complete a ride like this is beyond my reach. Anyway, I had a great time, and congrats to everyone for towing the line and grinding through the hills.

Mark and Jeff: you guys chose some great scenery to ride through. I will probably ride through there again for fun, and who knows, maybe in preperation for next year.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Members who have read this thread: 0