Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Trans Iowa Chatter

Did I miss the memo? Where is all the discussion about Trans Iowa? I remember when I did version 1 and version 2 of TI that there was a constant steam of comments leading up to the race.

What gives? Did the conversation move elsewhere? I need some place to unleash my trash talk!
    --
    Joe Partridge

No Reputation!
    tried to get it going here

http://forums.mtbr.com/endurance-rac...go-732101.html

but alas, it kinda died. Maybe your thread will do better

As for trash talk....well I'm still going with the 29" tubeless crow tire if that counts LOL

Joe

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I thought it was odd the lack of a giant thread also this year.

I'm in for this go. Haven't posted much about it since riding opportunities are many in Alabama this year.

Singlespeed here. 62 gear inches is the plan until someone tells me I am a moron and go buy a bigger freewheel.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Singlespeed here as well. I'm going with about 53.5 gear inches right now. I think 62 inches is a pretty big gear, but if you can push it more power to you!

What are you thinking for tires?

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny K View Post
    I thought it was odd the lack of a giant thread also this year.

I'm in for this go. Haven't posted much about it since riding opportunities are many in Alabama this year.

Singlespeed here. 62 gear inches is the plan until someone tells me I am a moron and go buy a bigger freewheel.
    --
    Joe Partridge

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I don't know if it's trash talk, but I'm training with 28c touring tires now. I finished V1 with 26" MTB tires, but think that is overkill. I did DK a couple of years ago with a 34c front and a 28c rear with only one flat. The gravel in Kansas is much worse on tires than the gravel in Iowa, at least in my opinion!

What are you doing for gear stowage?

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Fastskiguy View Post
    tried to get it going here

http://forums.mtbr.com/endurance-rac...go-732101.html

but alas, it kinda died. Maybe your thread will do better

As for trash talk....well I'm still going with the 29" tubeless crow tire if that counts LOL

Joe
    --
    Joe Partridge

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Joe, 35c Marathon Extremes set up tubeless on NoTubes Arch rims. The 62 inch gear might not stay, it is simply what I rode for cx season and White Industries freewheels are expensive...

53 gear inches, huh? Is that just what was on your bike or did you choose that? Just curious as to your thought process since you have ridden there before! thanks.

Any other singlespeeders feel free to jump in on the gear discussion

No Reputation!
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Jitsu View Post

What are you doing for gear stowage?

Joe
    Probably a seatpost mounted rack with a smallish trunk and a mountain feed bag or two up front, the big question is where to put your 100 miles of water.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I've had good luck sticking a 3L bladder with 2 liters of water in a Revelate medium Tanglebag. I still have room for two small water bottles on the frame. Should be more than enough for 100 miles, particularly given that it will be cool (or maybe cold!) overnight.

For other gear, I'm using a Revelate Gas Tank and a small backpack.

Joe

Probably a seatpost mounted rack with a smallish trunk and a mountain feed bag or two up front, the big question is where to put your 100 miles of water.
    --
    Joe Partridge

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    53 gear inches is a deliberate choice for this point in my training. Living in Portland, it's hard to do a training ride that doesn't include some long, sustained climbs. I needed a gear that would allow me to cruise along at 15-17 MPH but still get over the 1000'-1500' climbs on my training loops.

Plus, I've looked at what over finishers have run in recent years. 53-57 gear inches seems to be the average. I'm looking to finish, not hang with the lead group. My philosophy is to go just fast enough to finish in 30 hours and not a bit faster. I've seen too many fit riders push it just a bit too hard for the first 150-200 miles and not finish. Heck, I did it myself two years ago at Dirty Kanza!

I might drop on tooth in the back before the race. I'm doing 180 miles with 10k' of climbing tomorrow (!) with my full TI setup. If the knees are good, then I'll consider a change. If I'm hurting, then 53 might be the magic number!

Joe

Joe, 35c Marathon Extremes set up tubeless on NoTubes Arch rims. The 62 inch gear might not stay, it is simply what I rode for cx season and White Industries freewheels are expensive...

53 gear inches, huh? Is that just what was on your bike or did you choose that? Just curious as to your thought process since you have ridden there before! thanks.

Any other singlespeeders feel free to jump in on the gear discussion
    --
    Joe Partridge

No Reputation!
    My philosophy is to go just fast enough to finish in 30 hours and not a bit faster.

I'm doing 180 miles with 10k' of climbing tomorrow (!) with my full TI setup.

Joe
    I'd say with decent weather your 30 hour goal might be a bit conservative if you're busting out a 180 mile ride tomorrow. 50% of the distance a month and a half out.....that is where everybody dreams about being with the training. You'll have to report how the ride goes but please add in a bunch of comments about suffering and how you're wrecked for a week afterwards...just to make the rest of us feel good

Oh yeah, let's have some pics of your bike!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I'll post a quick recap on Sunday after my massage! I'll also try to take a couple of pictures. I'm doing three laps of this course; it's a pretty fun "race" with great views when the weather is clear. I'll snap some pics of the bike as well.

Joe

I'd say with decent weather your 30 hour goal might be a bit conservative if you're busting out a 180 mile ride tomorrow. 50% of the distance a month and a half out.....that is where everybody dreams about being with the training. You'll have to report how the ride goes but please add in a bunch of comments about suffering and how you're wrecked for a week afterwards...just to make the rest of us feel good

Oh yeah, let's have some pics of your bike!
    --
    Joe Partridge

No Reputation!
    OMG, now you're just rubbing it in. The course looks beautiful! And a massage Sunday....tell us that is just plain mean!!

I'm planning on a 6 hour indoor training ride, I'll post my data.

Sweep the leg!
    Iowa?

Good Luck guys
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Hmmm, I rode a 61" gear 180 miles at Dirty kanza last year before a DNF from all the blasted mud.

The gear felt fine but Iowa will be a slower pace I imagine. I think I am going to back it down to maybe a 39/19 or so around 56".

One other point. I have never finished a race longer than four hours and thought, "Gee I really should have gone with a harder gear out there!"

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    The ride Saturday went off mostly as planned. I ended up with about 165 miles in 12 hours and 30 minutes. There were just shy of 11,000 feet of climbing. Details can be found here.

The bike set-up worked well. No flats and no mechanical issues. Food worked out ok, I used CR 333 from Carborocket. I've had much success with this stuff leading up to this ride. It worked well, but I was getting pretty tired off it near the end of the day.

I felt ok after the ride, and felt pretty good after my 90-minute massage on Sunday! Today I am back at work and felt good on my bike commute in this morning. I'm not fully recovered, but I feel really good considering the distance and amount of climbing.

Now I have a rest week and then three more hard training weeks before tapering for the race.

I took some pictures of the bike that I will try to post later.

Joe

I'll post a quick recap on Sunday after my massage! I'll also try to take a couple of pictures. I'm doing three laps of this course; it's a pretty fun "race" with great views when the weather is clear. I'll snap some pics of the bike as well.

Joe
    --
    Joe Partridge

No Reputation!
    The ride Saturday went off mostly as planned. I ended up with about 165 miles in 12 hours and 30 minutes. There were just shy of 11,000 feet of climbing. Details can be found here.

The bike set-up worked well. No flats and no mechanical issues. Food worked out ok, I used CR 333 from Carborocket. I've had much success with this stuff leading up to this ride. It worked well, but I was getting pretty tired off it near the end of the day.

I felt ok after the ride, and felt pretty good after my 90-minute massage on Sunday! Today I am back at work and felt good on my bike commute in this morning. I'm not fully recovered, but I feel really good considering the distance and amount of climbing.

Now I have a rest week and then three more hard training weeks before tapering for the race.

I took some pictures of the bike that I will try to post later.

Joe
    Sounds like a prefect day of training. I caught the bubonic plague but managed to get out and spin back and forth on a 1 mile stretch of gravel 6 miles from the house for a couple of hours. Oh yeah and no massage. I like you're weekend ride better LOL

mtbr member
    I'll be listening on TI radio if GT does that gig again. Oh yeah, and it will be tomorrow already so I'll know who won.

Best of luck to all. dp
    I am the king of the Echo People

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Weather

Pro: It seems to be crazy warm in Grinnell right now; highs in the upper 60's!

Con: It's raining. Alot.

Thoughts?
    --
    Joe Partridge

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Pro: It seems to be crazy warm in Grinnell right now; highs in the upper 60's!

Con: It's raining. Alot.

Thoughts?
    The weather will either be the same or different at the end of April. No sense worrying about it now. Winter has been dry and warm here all winter, so at least people won't be dealing with frost heaves.

Steve "Taking photos of Ti V8 pain and suffering" Fuller

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Weather thoughts: Prepared for it to suck and not really thinking much about it.

Harder part has been finding someone to go from Alabama to Iowa for a crew person!

SS brain dump: I think Joe is on the right track with the small gear. I am down to a 39 x 19 and it feels a bit spinny on road but good for gravel.

Living the thug life.
    My goal is to start insanely hard, do the middle the same, and finish it out at the same speed. I might pick up the pace midway.
    I proudly ride for these guys.

My blog.

No Reputation!
    wow that is like the opposite of my plan...start slow and maybe get a bit slower.... I hope to see you at the finish line!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by logantri View Post
    my goal is to start insanely hard, do the middle the same, and finish it out at the same speed. I might pick up the pace midway.
    --
    Joe Partridge

Harmonius Wrench

Hello Guys and Gals

We quit starting a Trans Iowa thread here a couple years ago, since it seemed untoward for us to sort of co-opt this site for the dissemination of infomation.

But now that you've got something started....

If anyone needs a bike shipped, send it to the local bike shop, Bikes To You. website:Bikes To You, Grinnell, Iowa, RAGBRAI, women's clothing, Bicycles, charter, Giant, schwinn, service Address: 921 Broad Street, Grinnell Iowa. This is also the place the event will start in front of.

Pre-Race Meat-Up details are here:THE TRANS IOWA RACE V.8: RACE DETAILS & REGISTRATION

You must attend to race in T.I.V8

If ya'all got any other questions for me, I'll be checking back here from now till the event.

And David- I'll be doing the T.I.Radio thing again. Hope all is well in the South Pacific.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Thanks Mark!

Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted View Post
    We quit starting a Trans Iowa thread here a couple years ago, since it seemed untoward for us to sort of co-opt this site for the dissemination of infomation.

But now that you've got something started....

If anyone needs a bike shipped, send it to the local bike shop, Bikes To You. website:Bikes To You, Grinnell, Iowa, RAGBRAI, women's clothing, Bicycles, charter, Giant, schwinn, service Address: 921 Broad Street, Grinnell Iowa. This is also the place the event will start in front of.

Pre-Race Meat-Up details are here:THE TRANS IOWA RACE V.8: RACE DETAILS & REGISTRATION

You must attend to race in T.I.V8

If ya'all got any other questions for me, I'll be checking back here from now till the event.

And David- I'll be doing the T.I.Radio thing again. Hope all is well in the South Pacific.
    --
    Joe Partridge

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

H2O Capacity Question

I'm planning on carrying two water bottles on the bike and a 2L bladder on my back. Does that sound adequate? I didn't see any info on the TI site about the number of/distance between services.

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Boney View Post
    I'm planning on carrying two water bottles on the bike and a 2L bladder on my back. Does that sound adequate? I didn't see any info on the TI site about the number of/distance between services.
    Everyone's water consumption rate is different, and as for me, it depends on how hot it is. Your planned water carrying capacity sounds okay, but again- you need to know it will get you at least 100 miles.

My advice is that if you are down on reserves and you pass a convenience store, you'd better top off. It isn't about where the convenience stores are, it is when you'll pass them. Most Iowa convenience stores will close at 10-11pm on Saturday evening and won't open until 6am-10am. Plan accordingly.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Harmonius Wrench

What's The Weather Going To Be Like?

I know ya'all like to geek out on weather for this event. I was turned on to this site while visiting Grinnell yesterday. Grinnell Weather.com - Home

There are features like a Doppler weather radar view, a live webcam, 10 day forecast, astronomical info and more.

Have fun and pray for no rain!
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    you need to know it will get you at least 100 miles.
    Question answered, thanks!

Harmonius Wrench

Course Info

Total Climbing in Feet: 12, 821
    Total Distance: 327.8 miles
    Two Checkpoints with time cut offs. One "Secret Checkpoint".

More info on the course and Pre-Race Meat-Up (required attendance), can be found here: THE TRANS IOWA RACE V.8: RACE DETAILS & REGISTRATION
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Looks great Mark! Thanks for the info.

Joe

Total Climbing in Feet: 12, 821
    Total Distance: 327.8 miles
    Two Checkpoints with time cut offs. One "Secret Checkpoint".

More info on the course and Pre-Race Meat-Up (required attendance), can be found here: THE TRANS IOWA RACE V.8: RACE DETAILS & REGISTRATION
    --
    Joe Partridge

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Tire Change?

So on a whim, I took off the 28c tires I have been using and put on a set of Stan's Crows. The Crows are about 150 grams heavier per tire, but I was interested in finding a bit of additional cush and control in the gravel.

Results? I had my best times ever on a 60-mile training loop. Faster on the flats, faster on the tricky gravel climb, faster on the bomber descent.

Is there a reason people don't run these tires on gravel in Iowa?
    --
    Joe Partridge

Harmonius Wrench
    So on a whim, I took off the 28c tires I have been using and put on a set of Stan's Crows. The Crows are about 150 grams heavier per tire, but I was interested in finding a bit of additional cush and control in the gravel.

Results? I had my best times ever on a 60-mile training loop. Faster on the flats, faster on the tricky gravel climb, faster on the bomber descent.

Joe, I've been running that type of tire on gravel since way back. Most think I'm nuts. It is perception, and that bikes that take such big meats are generally not road-ish. (Ya know- 29"ers. )

But when you stop to think about it , a Stan's Crow, Bontrager XR-1, and some other 29"er tires, are not very heavy considering the massive air spring they provide and the lower rolling resistance on rough roads, like gravel, that they can provide for you. For instance, Bonty XR-1 Team issues are in the mid-500 grams each, while a nice, 35-40mm Schwalbe, or the nice Clements I just got are only slightly lighter, but can not begin to be a cushy and flexible as an XR-1 or Stan's Crow is over rough grounds.

Until we get true 35-45mm tires with high end features, the light, XC race 29"er tires will have a place in gravel grinding. The Clements and the Schwalbes are close, but the makers are still using features road touring bikers want, like puncture protection belts, long wearing compounds, and stiff, durable casings. None of which your Crow has.

That and the bikes with the lighter frames and more road-ish geometry are hard to come by to fit such big 29"er rubber. That's why you don't see the bigger XC racing 29"er tires as much. But folks do run those bikes and tires, they're just not as popular as the CX bikes are.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

No Reputation!

Did somebody mention the Stans Crow tire??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trans Iowa Chatter-photo.jpg  

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by voolo View Post
    Weather thoughts: Prepared for it to suck and not really thinking much about it.

Well, ya know.....it is an even numbered year after all.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I still have nightmares about TI v.2

<shudder>

Joe

Well, ya know.....it is an even numbered year after all.
    --
    Joe Partridge

No Reputation!
    I still have nightmares about TI v.2

<shudder>

Joe
    Endless headwind, rain, grit, 50 degrees, energy sucking ground, mud from the level B's stuck to everything, turning yourself inside out in vain to try to reach algona. Thanks for bringing that back to mind.....

i like to bicycle

i too...

remember V2...ouch.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    First, that weather site is SUPER! Great info all easily accessible in one place.

Second, it looks like the weather is doing ok. Pretty dry at this point, with some fairly mild overnight temps.

What does all this mean? It means I am starting to obsess over the weather. And gear.

God, I love this race!

Joe

I know ya'all like to geek out on weather for this event. I was turned on to this site while visiting Grinnell yesterday. Grinnell Weather.com - Home

There are features like a Doppler weather radar view, a live webcam, 10 day forecast, astronomical info and more.

Have fun and pray for no rain!
    --
    Joe Partridge

Harmonius Wrench
    Some detail on the Pre-race Meat-Up posted here.

Cue sheets should go to print this coming week.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Harmonius Wrench
    Anybody on my list in the Latest News section on the T.I. site needs to get a hold of me ASAP: THE TRANS IOWA RACE V.8
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Here comes the rain again-
    falling on my head like a memory-
    falling on my head like a new emotion-

--
    Joe Partridge

Harmonius Wrench
    Here comes the rain again-
    falling on my head like a memory-
    falling on my head like a new emotion-

Ummm......you can stop that right now!

Actually, Iowa is very dry right now. Dry to the point of some concern. Rivers are low, ponds are nearly dried up. The mtb trails look like it is mid to late July instead of the beginning of April.

This means it will take an epic amount of rain to get us to T.I.V2 conditions, but there still is time for that now, isn't there?

That said, you Portlandians can keep all that moisture until after April!
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I was just looking at the cool Grinnell weather site you shared; it shows rain for the next four or five days if I recall correctly.

It's fine with we, I'm running a 29er single speed with 2.0" tires. Bring on the mud!

QUOTE=Guitar Ted;9195712]Ummm......you can stop that right now!

Actually, Iowa is very dry right now. Dry to the point of some concern. Rivers are low, ponds are nearly dried up. The mtb trails look like it is mid to late July instead of the beginning of April.

This means it will take an epic amount of rain to get us to T.I.V2 conditions, but there still is time for that now, isn't there?

That said, you Portlandians can keep all that moisture until after April! [/QUOTE]
    --
    Joe Partridge

No Reputation!
    Sure is dry, no doubt about it. I'm less concerned about rain at this point and more concerned about 30mph winds. But we take what we get, eh?

Harmonius Wrench
    I was just looking at the cool Grinnell weather site you shared; it shows rain for the next four or five days if I recall correctly.

It's fine with we, I'm running a 29er single speed with 2.0" tires. Bring on the mud!
    Yeah, I just checked that site. If it all comes true, it will all be easily absorbed by the land. Easily.

The thing that concerns me now is winds, cold, and sun which would equal dehydration for a lot of folks. (T.I.V1 is a prime example of that.)

But it's just too far out now to say one way or the other. I just hope the weather doesn't dominate the event and dictate the outcome too heavily one way or the other.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    I will be happy to see all of you guys. Having moved to Syracuse NY I dearly miss the great gravel roads of the midwest. I ride the hills on the road and do gravel on the Erie Canal Trail. Soon, Dr. Giggles and I will be heading towards another attempt at Trans Iowa. Whatever the land and sky bring we will embrace it!
    Ari

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Arisitidis View Post
    I will be happy to see all of you guys. Having moved to Syracuse NY I dearly miss the great gravel roads of the midwest. I ride the hills on the road and do gravel on the Erie Canal Trail. Soon, Dr. Giggles and I will be heading towards another attempt at Trans Iowa. Whatever the land and sky bring we will embrace it!
    Ari
    It'll be great to be seeing you, Dr. Giggles, and the rest of the Slender Fungus as well.

So far I have a roster down to 80, and Pre-Race details are beginning to come to a head. Volunteers have been lined up, and cue sheets will be printed up soon.

By the way, you have a couple guys that can volunteer as well, right Ari? If I am mistaken, let me know, but I was thinking you said that they could/would.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    @ G.T.
    Arik Gum aka Gumby and Tim James aka T.J. will be there to piick up our asses and also to volunteer in whatever you need. You will meet that at the Steakhouse and you can dish out what they need to help with.
    Ari

Harmonius Wrench
    @ G.T.
    Arik Gum aka Gumby and Tim James aka T.J. will be there to piick up our asses and also to volunteer in whatever you need. You will meet that at the Steakhouse and you can dish out what they need to help with.
    Ari

Awesome! That'll round out a great Checkpoint Alpha crew.

Well, there's another piece of the puzzle fitted. On to the next.....
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Just a general question to anyone that has seen the Iowa gravel lately. Are the gravel roads being covered in the chunky stuff. If we don't get the rain will the stuff settle for the race???
    Ari
    I was planning on riding 35s but if there is a lot of chunky stuff i might opt for 40's

Ari

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Just a general question to anyone that has seen the Iowa gravel lately. Are the gravel roads being covered in the chunky stuff. If we don't get the rain will the stuff settle for the race???
    Ari
    I was planning on riding 35s but if there is a lot of chunky stuff i might opt for 40's

Ari
    North of Ankeny last weekend (about an hour W of Grinnell) and the county crews laid down a nice fresh edge to edge swath of awesome limestone. Not big chunks, but certainly not fine powder. 14 solid miles of that was a lot of fun on 35c tires. Tubeless helped

mtbr member
    Thanks Steve. Is that the trend now? Running Tubeless 35's?
    ari

Harmonius Wrench
    Hey Ari, this is what it looked like up close. I was on Steve's team and was running 40's with tubes. I tried riding on that rock, but it was deep and sent the bike into fish tails at times, not to mention the massive increase in rolling resistance!

This shot here shows the margin on the side that was mostly dirt, way faster, and much easier to handle. That's where I rode, and everyone else did that I saw, on that 14 mile stretch.

The thing is, this was probably laid down within a day or two at most of our ride. I suspect that by T.I.V8 time most gravel crews will have done their work.

Car traffic should get at least a couple rideable lanes by that time, if the gravel has been maintained. We saw some maintenance patch work back in late March already on our recon.

Also, we are finally getting rain. Today, tomorrow, and Sunday are rain days in Iowa, and we are supposed to see more here before T.I.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trans Iowa Chatter-renegade-gents-race-2012-024.jpg  

Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    I think I am going to stick to the Extremes in 35c. I was going to order some Kenda Happy Mediums in 40c but not it is too late to experiment with new rubber. I have no idea how the Kendas ride on gravel. Also the Clements seemed like a good option but they are not available.
    ari

Harmonius Wrench
    I think I am going to stick to the Extremes in 35c. I was going to order some Kenda Happy Mediums in 40c but not it is too late to experiment with new rubber. I have no idea how the Kendas ride on gravel. Also the Clements seemed like a good option but they are not available.
    ari
    A co-worker that is riding T.I.V8 has the Happy Mediums on his Space Horse and really likes them so far. True 40mm width, approx 480gms each.

I am getting a pair to try out.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Thanks Steve. Is that the trend now? Running Tubeless 35's?
    ari
    It is for me right now. One of my 40c marathon extreme's needs some patching before I can try and set it up tubeless, and the ME's aren't available from Schwalbe any more. I tried snagging some Conti 40c tires, but the ones I wanted were a Euro-Spec tire only (which has me shaking my head).

I'm still on the hunt for a 40c tire that's Dirty Kanza suitable that I can set up tubeless. If I can't find something, I'll probably look at the 35c Stans Crows. I've learned to respect the flint down there, so tire choices are important to me.

mtbr member
    I think it's crazy that the Marathon Extreme has been discontinued. I ran the extremes in 35 for Dirty Kanza and they were flawless. I am giving the Happy mediums in 40s a shot.
    Ari

upgrade until you suck
    Nov 2005
    Probably a dumb question, but what is the parking situation like? I'm thinking I can leave my car at either a)Wally World if I camp Fri nite or b)the motel if I get that instead, but is there a preferred place to leave your car for the weekend in Grinnell for those of us that are doing it 'brevet style'? (which I know isn't recommended, but this is also in prep for probably doing Tour Divide next year so might as well go all out)

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Welp, got the last big ride before TI in yesterday and it was a good one.

Details here: wagon wheels racing: I know when to say when. Sometimes.

See everyone in a couple weeks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Wow! Nice one; looks like you are ready to go!

Joe
    --
    Joe Partridge

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by APSBiker View Post
    Probably a dumb question, but what is the parking situation like? I'm thinking I can leave my car at either a)Wally World if I camp Fri nite or b)the motel if I get that instead, but is there a preferred place to leave your car for the weekend in Grinnell for those of us that are doing it 'brevet style'? (which I know isn't recommended, but this is also in prep for probably doing Tour Divide next year so might as well go all out)
    I've asked about leaving a car on Broad Street across from Bikes To You, (the starting line). We got a variance last year, so I think this should work out. Stay tuned. I haven't heard back from my contact in Grinnell concerning this yet.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

No Reputation!
    An hour of threshold, a break, and then 20 minutes a little faster. Ouch, I'm done hurting until the main event!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trans Iowa Chatter-screen-shot-2012-04-15-10.11.33-pm.png  

Harmonius Wrench
    Updates: Parking....It looks like the parking on Broad Street will be a go for those needing to leave a car somewhere, but "official word" has not come down yet. Stay tuned for that.

"Trans Iowa Radio": I haven't sorted this out yet. I will be doing Twitter updates regardless. More of those if "T.I.Radio" doesn't get sorted, less if it does.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Living the thug life.
    New topic: What are you all doing for lights? Ideally I would like a all in one light/battery capable of at least 150 lumens for 12 hours. Anything out there because I can't find it.

My blog.

upgrade until you suck
    Nov 2005
    I'll have three lights to cover the night hours as well as possible - a main light is a Niterider 700 that should have about 6-8 hours of runtime on low, which I believe I have it set as 200 lumens (plenty!). For backup I have two Minewt USB lights, one is the 250 and the other is the 600, both will last any remaining hours needed (including the start). It is a bit more weight, but it's all about making sure I won't be in the dark at all.

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Logantri View Post
    New topic: What are you all doing for lights? Ideally I would like a all in one light/battery capable of at least 150 lumens for 12 hours. Anything out there because I can't find it.
    Maybe strap one of these on your bike; Fenix's homepages

Supposedly the Lupine Betty can be programed to lower lumen out put and ultra-long run times as well: Lupine Lighting Systems North America - Betty 6
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Living the thug life.
    The Fenix it is 124 lumens for 8 hours 16 minutes. Not quite enough.

Sorry, not looking to invest close to $1,000 into a light right now.

My blog.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    AY-UP lights. I love these things. With the new battery, you can run the lights at low power for 12 hours on one charge. They are super light and I have had zero issues with them in three years of use. I think they are about 200 lumens on low power.

I'm running one on my helmet and one on my handlebar. No worries about lights at all!

The only downside? They come from Austrailia and they don't have a US distributor. No problems to get lights, but could add time if you need warranty work, etc.

Ay Up Lights - the best Bike Lighting System available - Home

Joe

--
    Joe Partridge

Living the thug life.
    I'll be coming from Rochester, MN. Anyone coming from the area that wants to ride share? Does anyone have space for me to crash? My usual partners had to bail.

My blog.

mtbr member
    Schmidt Dyno Hub with LED light is my choice. Used it for TI 6&7, PBP 2011 along with a couple 600K's with no problems and plenty of light. I hate hassling with batteries and the extra drag when on is very minimal. I also strap a headlamp, that my wife uses for adventure racing, on my helmet for reading cue sheets and signs at night.

Joe Mann

Harmonius Wrench

Trans Iowa Radio

Just a heads up that "Trans Iowa Radio", (an audio blog post service that will show up on my personal blog), will be going on once again for T.I.V8. If you want to check in on the gravelly madness next weekend, hit my blog up and listen in.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Nice! Glad you were able to get that worked out. I know friends and family will appreciate it!

Joe

Just a heads up that "Trans Iowa Radio", (an audio blog post service that will show up on my personal blog), will be going on once again for T.I.V8. If you want to check in on the gravelly madness next weekend, hit my blog up and listen in.
    --
    Joe Partridge

Harmonius Wrench
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Anyone know of any good mountain biking in the area for the "support crew" while the racers are out riding?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Novice View Post
    Anyone know of any good mountain biking in the area for the "support crew" while the racers are out riding?

Thanks
    Sugar Bottom, north of Iowa City, is about an hour away. It is a great trail system, or at least it was when I was in college many years ago.

Anybody know of any trails closer to Grinnell?

Sugar Bottom info at icorrmtb.org

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by The Novice View Post

Thanks
    Des Moines is closer and has some decent single track. Call this shop: RASMUSSENBIKESHOP.COM

The guys there are good people and can send you where the riding is.

Sugar Bottom is good, but those trails will close at the least hint of rain, so Des Moines would be a better trip from Grinnell.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Harmonius Wrench
    Course conditions report: Guitar Ted Productions (Click the "Trans Iowa Radio" button dated 4/22/12)
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Living the thug life.
    We are closing in on race day and you are missing out on a big opportunity to find space for me to crash on your floor on Friday night. Let me go over some of the selling points of myself:

1. I am non threatening semi attractive, a great guy to break the ice for girls you may want to meet.
    2. I offer incite that few others have as I raced TI V.I (and a few others).
    3. I shower at least a couple times a week.
    4. I could once bench slightly over 200 pounds in high school
    5. I once saw "Body by Jake" at the LA airport.
    6. I have been a bike mechanic since before Justin Bieber was born..
    7. I don't twitter.
    8. I can blend into any crowd as long as they are mid 30's, thicker, brown haired, brown eyed men.
    9. I know Jason Novak; winner of the 1991 Rochester MN Centerion (like you didn't already know that).
    10. I have cash.

My blog.

No Reputation!
    Heh, rain likely, low of 39 on Friday night. That'll make an interesting beginning...

upgrade until you suck
    Nov 2005
    Heh, rain likely, low of 39 on Friday night. That'll make an interesting beginning...
    LALALALA I CANT HEAR YOU

It is an even numbered year, so we are likely jinxed anyway. I'm debating adding a rear rack for the extra clothing that will be necessary for the current forecast...

No Reputation!
    Fat floaty tires, plenty of supplies, zip lock bags for the maps. Hell I'm running some fenders this year!

CWS
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    We are closing in on race day and you are missing out on a big opportunity to find space for me to crash on your floor on Friday night. Let me go over some of the selling points of myself:

1. I am non threatening semi attractive, a great guy to break the ice for girls you may want to meet.
    2. I offer incite that few others have as I raced TI V.I (and a few others).
    3. I shower at least a couple times a week.
    4. I could once bench slightly over 200 pounds in high school
    5. I once saw "Body by Jake" at the LA airport.
    6. I have been a bike mechanic since before Justin Bieber was born..
    7. I don't twitter.
    8. I can blend into any crowd as long as they are mid 30's, thicker, brown haired, brown eyed men.
    9. I know Jason Novak; winner of the 1991 Rochester MN Centerion (like you didn't already know that).
    10. I have cash.
    Hey, if you're still looking for someone to room with in Grinnell, I am willing to split a room with you. I was originally going to bag it in my car, but given the weather forecast, I'm thinking about enjoying every bit of warmth I can before the race starts.

I'm looking at the Super 8 because it's cheapest (~$70/night). It's right by the steak house and 3-4 miles from the start.

None of my criminal convictions involve acts of fraud, dishonesty, or deceit. I just can't book a hotel room within 500 feet of a school, playground, or park. And would you mind if I keep my pet ferrets in the room while we're out racing?
    Last edited by CWS; 04-27-2012 at 08:00 AM.

No Reputation!
    Now we've got a 20% chance of snow on Saturday morning!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trans Iowa Chatter-screen-shot-2012-04-25-5.13.30-pm.png  

Harmonius Wrench
    Now we've got a 20% chance of snow on Saturday morning!
    Wouldn't be the first time it has happened. Remember T.I.V4?

I'm sure it won't happen. We were supposed to get creamed with rain today and it was sunny and 75*.

That high pressure in Canada is the key. If it strengthens, then maybe it will get cold. If it moves east, even just a little, it will dramatically affect the weather here.

The weather guys aren't sure where it will go just yet. Everyone I've tapped into about this say it is a weird pattern, very strange.

What else would you expect from Trans Iowa weekend?
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

No Reputation!
    Not all forecasts are saying winds 25-35....but at least one does....

No Reputation!
    Oops, I mean....at least one does...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

... and if we just ...

Harder part has been finding someone to go from Alabama to Iowa for a crew person!

SS brain dump: I think Joe is on the right track with the small gear. I am down to a 39 x 19 and it feels a bit spinny on road but good for gravel.
    You have a crew person now

mtbr member

Positive thinking

If you guys are like me, and have done a few ultra rides, then you know the only way to survive is to break the ride into smaller pieces. You have to look at it this way:

I have done rides that have been colder (Cirrem)
    I have done rides that have been wetter (T.I. VI. It can't get much worse?)
    I have done rides that have been windier (Balltown return trip 2007) Wind only blows 1 way!
    I have done rides that have been longer (PBP 2011 and 2003)
    I have been more tired (RAW 2009)
    I have been more sleepy (RAW 2009)
    I have been more hungry (PBP)
    and I have been more lost (Iowa City moonlight century 2010)

I can't imagine this will be all of the above at any one time.

Joe Mann

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Had no idea this existed and I live in Des Moines, I wish I would have stumbled upon this thread before the weekend of the event. The weather has been unexpectedly warm and clear today so hopefully it will hold out for you guys over the weekend.

Des Moines is closer and has some decent single track. Call this shop: RASMUSSENBIKESHOP.COM

The guys there are good people and can send you where the riding is.

Sugar Bottom is good, but those trails will close at the least hint of rain, so Des Moines would be a better trip from Grinnell.
    While Rasmussen is a great shop you can get all the info on the Des Moines single track trails here- Central Iowa Trail Association | Singletrack trails and mountain biking around Des Moines, Iowa . The trails he is probably referring to are the Center Trails which are what I bike on daily, really incredible trails for being in Iowa and being in the middle of the city.

No Reputation!
    Quote Originally Posted by mannpowered View Post
    If you guys are like me, and have done a few ultra rides, then you know the only way to survive is to break the ride into smaller pieces. You have to look at it this way:

I have done rides that have been colder (Cirrem)
    I have done rides that have been wetter (T.I. VI. It can't get much worse?)
    I have done rides that have been windier (Balltown return trip 2007) Wind only blows 1 way!
    I have done rides that have been longer (PBP 2011 and 2003)
    I have been more tired (RAW 2009)
    I have been more sleepy (RAW 2009)
    I have been more hungry (PBP)
    and I have been more lost (Iowa City moonlight century 2010)

I can't imagine this will be all of the above at any one time.

Joe Mann
    You've done rides farther away from home (PBP)
    You've done ride where you've had to speak French!

But...just for discussion....what's your longest ride in 2012?

mtbr member

Longest for 2012

Longest ride this year has been two 8 hour rides the last two weekends. Last weekend was pretty hilly. Last year I had an 8 and an 11. I think hours are more important than miles. My body does not keep track of miles only hours. How about you?

Joe

No Reputation!
    Quote Originally Posted by mannpowered View Post
    Longest ride this year has been two 8 hour rides the last two weekends. Last weekend was pretty hilly. Last year I had an 8 and an 11. I think hours are more important than miles. My body does not keep track of miles only hours. How about you?

Joe
    Two 5:45's and a 6:30, all at about 170 watts. Doesn't seem like enough to tackle a 30 hour ride but I struggled to the finish in V3 with a similar schedule. Now we had perfect conditions back then and it was ugly. I mean it was not pretty! But managed to get there. 5 years later I'm more seasoned, older, have bagged a super randonneur series, and so might be a little better "in the head".

We won't know 'till we try, right?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Well. How'd it go for you guys?

Pretty happy with my first go at the race. Made all the checks and finished course in 36 hours...too bad the time cut was 35 hours So, so close. Amazed at how good I felt the last 50 miles which were super hilly.

Great experience and just mind blowingly difficult.

Here is a link to gps from the ride (garmin worked the whole time with an external charger) Strava for Trans Iowa V8

I'll do a write up when I don't feel like im ninety years old.

Harmonius Wrench

Pretty happy with my first go at the race. Made all the checks and finished course in 36 hours...too bad the time cut was 35 hours So, so close. Amazed at how good I felt the last 50 miles which were super hilly.

Here is a link to gps from the ride (garmin worked the whole time with an external charger) Strava for Trans Iowa V8

Hey John,

First off, way to gut it out, even though you must have known you were going to miss the cut off. By the way, it was 34 hours, not 35 as you have stated.

I looked at you Strava link, and I appreciate seeing the climb data. I had come up with 12,000 plus feet of climbing on my research, so I am a bit surprised to see Strava claiming 16,717ft. Seems like a big difference, but maybe the sampling rate is finer with Strava's system.

Hope you had a great time in Iowa. Thanks for being a part of T.I.V8.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Great effort! You'll make it next year!

Thanks for posting the strava link; I got up to the first CP and then most of the course from the 2nd CP until the Garmin ran out of juice.

I finished in a little over 31 hours. Unlike you, I felt pretty rough in the last 50 miles; the hills just kept coming and coming. And the wind! Don't get me started. I mean, we were literally riding the wrong way thought a working wind farm! Crazy!

Great work to all the riders, and special thanks to Mark for putting on a great event.

Joe

--
    Joe Partridge

No Reputation!
    I didn't have the gas to get to the finish but managed to make it to checkpoint Bravo just within the time limit. I think the difficulty getting to checkpoint Alpha took a lot out of me and then with a 7 or 8 mile stretch of "bonus miles", getting to checkpoint Bravo was a bit iffy too so there was no time to really let up and get into a "comfortable" pace. Honestly I could not believe how hard people were riding in the first few hours. The level of fitness of the field seemed much higher than in the other years I've ridden (2, 3, and 4). I easily exceeded my max power for 4, 5, and 6 hours on this ride.

The course was fantastic! I just love the rural roads, spectacular scenery, and friendly locals. Struggling up "yet another hill" we met a guy out for a walk who sized us up and quickly said "I've got cold beer back at the house. Really!"

Just hitting the start line took some "overcoming of fears" this year because of the wind and thunderous rain all night. It was like....we've got wind, cold, and rain, pretty much the trifecta of a tough ride and we're heading out anyway. At home I never would have considered riding in that kind of stuff but now maybe I'll look at it differently (or not LOL!)

Johnny K....was your calorie calculation based on heart rate or time and distance or what? Because it took me a whopping 8300 KJ to get to checkpoint Bravo. Ouch!

Thanks again Mark for putting on this big challenge. Since V4 I've done an Ironman and lots of people consider it a "life changing event" and "the toughest day in all of sport" and things like that. It's a long day but "only" 140.6 miles and with the support you get.....well let's just say it's a whole lot easier than the Trans Iowa.

I'll try to get some more up when I get the chance....let's see if I can embed my ride data here...

<iframe width='465' height='548' frameborder='0' src='http://connect.garmin.com:80/activity/embed/172829943'></iframe>

mtbr member

Ran out of Juice

Congradulations to all the finishers!!! I made it 208 miles to check point charlie then had to stop. 17 hours of gravel and I was done. I did not eat enough food after noon and by 4:00 was paying for it and could not catch up on the nutrition. The hard part about this ride is you donít have many chances to eat except what you can carry. Plus you never know when the next c-store will show up. The three of us riding together decided to skip a town (Agency) because we thought we were OK but there was no other towns for another 80 miles. That meant 110 miles (or 8 hours of riding), with monster steep climbs and loose gravel, with no food but cookies, gels and beef Jerky. I really needed a pizza, sandwich or something. When we finally did get to a town (Attica or check point Charlie) at the 208 mile mark they had candy bars and donuts and I needed real food. By then it was 8:15 PM with nowhere else for another 30 miles (in Pella) to get real food. Pella closed at 11 and it did not look like we would make it before then. Rode the pavement to Knoxville and had my wife pick me up at the Subway. It just shows that in ultras if you skip a meal you are history. All in all a good ride and great scenery.

Harmonius Wrench
    I didn't get any more than 12,500 ft elevation gain in any of my research, but John K's and now Bill G's data are showing a lot more than that.

I saw Bill G's, and he didn't make it all the way- got to within 30 miles of the finish before a mechanical took him out- and his elevation gain was 18,000 plus.

I guess my data was way off in that sense, but at least my cue sheets were good.

I know folks will never forget that last 50 miles if they rode it, but I only had one third of the blame for that. The wind and county maintenance were not of my doing. So please- don't give me any credit for that bit.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I didn't get any more than 12,500 ft elevation gain in any of my research, but John K's and now Bill G's data are showing a lot more than that.

I saw Bill G's, and he didn't make it all the way- got to within 30 miles of the finish before a mechanical took him out- and his elevation gain was 18,000 plus.

I guess my data was way off in that sense, but at least my cue sheets were good.

I know folks will never forget that last 50 miles if they rode it, but I only had one third of the blame for that. The wind and county maintenance were not of my doing. So please- don't give me any credit for that bit.
    Ha, I was on pace to get to the finish pretty easily but had some er...bonus miles into a headwind (imagine that) and realized I would be cutting it close. I decided to stick it out even though I might not make it on time. I ran up on Scott, the other last guy on course who had the same idea. Once 2 hit we slowed wayyyy down and mostly walked to the finish. Great race and yes, the cue cards were solid. Starting write up tonight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1