Training tips for Endurace 100?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Training tips for Endurace 100?

I think first I should tell my situation. I want to attempt the Park City Endurance 100 this August on my single speed. I have never ridden a race this long and I was wondering how I should go about training for such an event. It seems common sense to me that not many people can go and regularly ride for 100 miles, one because that is a gruelling distance on a trail by anyone's standards, and two because of the sheer lack of time. I fit into both categories and would appreciate some advice on training for this race so that I will have enough speed and endurace to finish the race. As far as I know only one person has ridden this race on a single speed, so it might be uncharted territory.

Grizzly
    This is a good article. It is written with a 24 hour solo event in mind, but much of it can be applied to a 100 miler.

http://www.ride424.com/training/Training_Mileage.php
    GrizzlyAdam.net
    Read my book
    Follow me on Twitter

"The only thing better than solitude, is society."

~Ed Abbey

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoon Man
    As far as I know only one person has ridden this race on a single speed, so it might be uncharted territory.
    There's been a few people that have done it on singlespeeds. I know if three that finished last year (maybe more that didn't race the SS category). There were a few singlespeeders that did it in 2004 also. Nat Pellman came in fifth in 2004, and Sean McLaughlin (sp?) came in 3rd overall in 2005.

I raced in 2004 on a Trek Fuel. It was my first endurance event...I'd never raced anything over 30 miles. I finished on pure stubbornness (albeit in last place). I came back in 2005 and raced again. I felt a lot stronger, but still got the exact same time...but I was only second to last in 2005. My strategy was to gear low, eat and drink, and keep moving no matter what.

If you're going to try it on a SS, train on really long climbs (1.5+ hours), and get used to climbing out of the saddle for extended periods of time. Try pre-riding sections of the course before the race...then you'll know more of what to expect.

Category Winner
    [QUOTE=tomdog] I finished on pure stubbornness QUOTE]

And that is the big thing right there. I can't say how to train, but I can say you have to want it, bad. A strong average Joe will probably be out on the course fo well over 12 hours. It is one of the hardest hundies there is (on paper, I will reserve my judgement till I such time that it is behind me). Of all the hundies I am doing this year I am most excited over this one. If you don't get your money's worth of pain and suffering out of this one than you did something wrong.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    SpoonMan

Ride till it hurts. Then keep riding till it really hurts. Then ride for another hour.

Listen to Tomdog -- he did finish on pure stubborness and this race (for most of us it is just an epic ride) will demand everything you've got and then some.

I dropped out after 60 miles in 2004. I was used to Intermountain Cup races (local xc series if you're not local) and I shot out fast on stages 1, 2. I paid dearly on 3 and could barely push my bike at the end of the stage.

Last year I paced myself and felt fairly good all the way until stage 5. Stage 5 hurt (and the race took me just over 15 hours). I was on an FS 26er. Tomdog pounded the course last year on a fully rigid SS 29er. He will tell you it pounded him more than he pounded it, but that is the nature of this race.

Go in humble. Pace yourself and stick to your plan. Hydrate well and hope for cooler temps. Eat.

Tomdog was right on the extended climbs. Practice riding standing for long periods. And play with your gearing to get something that works for you.

If you are local, go pre-ride as much as you can with your SS. Get to know the climbs, course, etc. This is a big mental help.

You will curse Boris during the race (unless you are one of the superhuman types) because the course NEVER lets up. It requires full concentration and effort from start to finish. No coasting down long fireroads for easy mileage here. Tight, twisty singletrack 95% of the time.

Good luck!

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by ucme4dk
    SpoonMan
    You will curse Boris during the race (unless you are one of the superhuman types) because the course NEVER lets up. It requires full concentration and effort from start to finish. No coasting down long fireroads for easy mileage here. Tight, twisty singletrack 95% of the time.
    Aww man, stop. You're bringing a tear to my eye.
    Hooray for "No easy miles"!
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I just checked out the race's website...almost 19,000 vertical. I would seriously consider an easier one for a first ultra event, and I would bring a geared bike. If you do christen your ultra career with a 19k race on a single speed I highly recommend that you enter with no expectations, just try to finish stage one, then just focus on stage two, etc...with no goals or expectations other than to simply ride as far as you can and enjoy it as much as possible. And remember that everyone else is suffering just as much as you...except of course the folks on geared bikes .

mtbr member
    Thanks for the advice guys, and yes I am local (Ogden). I probably will go and ride segments of the course for some experience. Right now I am working on the climb from South Skyline trail (starts at the bottom of Pineview dam) to the summit of Mt. Ben Lomond. Tomdog said train on long climbs, and this one is as long and hard as they come. It is close to about 20 miles of straight climbing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Spoon,

If you're interested in some pre-riding let me know. I'd love to hit the Skyline Trail with someone who knows it.

mtbr member
    Sounds good to me, what kind of shape are you in right now?

Grizzly
    For those interested in pre-riding the E100 course, or sections of it, I plan on riding it in its entirety during the coming weeks. Not all in one shot, but one stage at a time. I will post something here a few days before I start hitting the trails. I'd like to do the E50 course before that race, and then the remaing E100 stages before Aug 26. Before I can do it though I need to arrange to go with someone who knows the route
    Last edited by alizbee; 06-09-2006 at 07:54 PM.
    GrizzlyAdam.net
    Read my book
    Follow me on Twitter

~Ed Abbey

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Adam,

I'd love to go out and ride some with you. Although you might have to go slow :>). I'm quite familiar with all of the stages (raced/rode it in 04, 05 and have pre-rode/post-rode many times).

Trail conditions look very good. I was up there in the stage 1 area this morning. Mid-mountain is clear of dead-fall (if I understand correctly). There are still some snow patches on the North facing slopes in the Deer Valley/Park City area (stages 2, 4). Everything else is good.

What days are you available to ride?

Grizzly
    Quote Originally Posted by ucme4dk
    Adam,

I'd love to go out and ride some with you. Although you might have to go slow :>). I'm quite familiar with all of the stages (raced/rode it in 04, 05 and have pre-rode/post-rode many times).

Trail conditions look very good. I was up there in the stage 1 area this morning. Mid-mountain is clear of dead-fall (if I understand correctly). There are still some snow patches on the North facing slopes in the Deer Valley/Park City area (stages 2, 4). Everything else is good.

What days are you available to ride?
    Most evening are free for me. Next Saturday, the 17th I may try and get up there. Tomorrow I will be racing the DV ICUP race, which covers some small sections of stage 3 I think.

Shoot me an email or a PM with your contact info and I will keep you posted. I am also planning on spinning a few laps out on Round Valley before the E12.
    GrizzlyAdam.net
    Read my book
    Follow me on Twitter

~Ed Abbey

mtbr member
    I always get my riding done in the mornings and on weekends, as I have work at five.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

The deer valley course and the E100

use a couple of the same trails but in the other direction. You climb up that 1st big desent and then go up the lift road above the lodge where the Icup race starts. I would be interested in riding as well. I am just coming off of a torn quadracep so I do't know how soon/hard I can ride tho. I did the 50 last year, and know the layout pretty well.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

Members who have read this thread: 0