Training mileage.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Training mileage.

What kind of mileage are people doing or recommend for a 100k race?

SS Pusher Man
    Everyone is a little different.

For me, I did a 54 mile/11k' race/ride.

I did 5 rides a week: 25-30 mile/2500-4000' T-W-Th
    35-80 mile/6000-10k' S-S

Mine was all done on the mountain bike, almost exclusively on the SS.

I still mixed in some shorter fun rides from time to time.

Hit my peak on just the right weekend. Beat my goal time by almost 30 mins and probably could have done better.
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.:nono:

Ebikes are not bicycles :nono:

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I wouldn't recommend this approach, but I "trained" for a 100 miler with about 800 miles of riding. I ranged from 20-50 miles/wk with many weeks completely off the bike. I did compliment that with some trail running and body-weight based work outs. Over the winter I spent about 2-2.5hrs per week on the rollers, which isn't included in that mileage number. The majority of my riding is off road, and all my dirt riding is on an SS. Roller and road work on a geared CX bike.

mtbr member
    What are you looking to accomplish in this 100k race? Be competitive, mid-pack, or finish.

Competitive: You likely wouldn't be asking this question.

Mid-pack: Mileage will vary, it will also depend on the time of year of race, but people are likely riding 4-12 hours per week with some thought of a training plan, or being conscious of getting enough hours in.

Finish: Assuming you are not completely new to mountain biking and get out at least 1-2 per week in general or during the season, you'll probably want to start at least 2 months out, building up your endurance. I would say a goal would be to be build up to riding 6 hours per week, with at least 1 longer ride per week (3 hours). You'll probably want a couple rides upwards of 4 hours to get used to it and start nailing down nutrition.
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Great topic for me this year. Possibly doing SM100 this weekend but unsure of that wisdom still.

Shoulder surgery in late Jan had me off road bike until April and mountain bike until June. I have done ~400 mile/25-28 hr months ever since but no long rides. I checked and I have done a grand total of four, 3 hour rides and one, 4 hour ride all year.

I am pretty sure I can finish just based on life miles and personality...but unclear on how bad this might hurt. I have done this race 8 times and it is always pretty painful but I typically have WAY more time on bike and some 5-6 hour rides under my belt.

The good news about being under trained is no expectations. I am usually chasing a PR but if I do it this year I am just trying to finish which will allow more time to BS with volunteers and party pace it between the climbs. Still gonna hurt bad though...

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Mileage is probably the least important measure of all. That's why sport scientists have come up with "TSS" concepts (and similar). For MTB-racing "mileage" is highly ambiguous. Time spent on the bike is more meaningful (but maybe you mean this).

First of all, what type of 100K race do you train for? Lots of singletrails or mainly dirt roads? Flats or mountains? The predicted duration of your race is your key measure. The duration of a 100K race can be quite different.

I'd say it is sufficient to ride the duration of your race one or two times a week in the weeks leading to your race. What is equally important: mix in some threshold and VO2max work. Duration is not important here. The mix between volume and intensity depends on the character of your 100k race.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Minimum: Two high-ish tempo rides of 3 hours and one balls to the wall ride of 1 to 1.5 hours per week, then throw in a few 4 to 5 hour rides no closer than 8 days prior to the event.

Tailor the above a bit to the actual course you'll be racing, and you'll kill it.

Do less volume in the 5 days before the race than you think you should. NEVER arrive at an endurance race thinking "Hmm, I'm feeling a bit fatigued". Better to be thinking "Maybe I should have done just a little more." That approach will pay off in the latter third of the race.
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Would like to finish mid-pack. All single track put pretty flat is the race I'm targeting. Currently doing 4-5 rides a week of 20km per ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I would say get some of the rides to the 40k mark and try to schedule in a couple of rides to the 70k mark if you have time. Also very important to do these rides on similar terrain and similar pace to what you want to race at, also working a smiliar nutrition plan. Work in some tempo intervals or just general harder rides if you can. Like said above duration and saddle time is more important than the mileage but you need to get the point where you can ride at least 70% of the duration comfortably to finish mid pack. One point of adivce was ride the same duration 2 times a week, I dont think you need to do that to finish midpack. If you just want to finish maybe suffering you dont need to get to that mark.

If that won't work into your scheduling than more intervals may help.

Only my 2 cents.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    Tagged for more advice as I am 8 weeks out from my first 100K.

mtbr member
    I don't ride by miles although I know them. I do a 4 to 6 hour ride on Sunday on the trails, the road, or gravel. My weekday rides are from 1.5 to 2.25 hours on road, dirt, and gravel.

I try and get in one or two tempo type rides per week, one in the woods and one on the road. My road rides are usually on a SS with slicks, geared for the road. I use my geared mountain bikes for recovery days on gravel or blast a gravel ride once per week. I probably total 13 to 16 hours of riding per week, less if I am tapering for a race. I don't race much but I do like riding my bike and make the time for it. It means less TV and doing other stuff but I am single and don't like that much TV and other stuff doesn't mean a lot to me. It's about choices and lifestyle. Do what you can but if you cannot get in the volume do some quality sessions. My .02

I am 59 years old and I compete against myself. I just want to be ready to race the 6 or 7 events I do each year. It is no fun just being able to survive, imho.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    The more hours a week the better, but for me that's a huge balance with family & work. I typically was building at 7-12h per week. That was to get up to 100mi race shape for 10-11h races.

Make sure you build volume (hours per week) while also building your max ride of the week. Some weeks due to schedule, I'd only get a 30min spin and my big ride. Other weeks I'd get a bunch of shorter rides and try to get something as close to my big ride goal for that week as possible.

For racing, I'd try to have a ride of that effort level (hours/elevation) under your belt. For finishing, the typical training plans have you able to step up at 1.25 to 1.5 times your previous maximum, eg do a 70 to 80 miler before you do a 100 miler. This assumes similar terrain/effort/elev, etc. So I've found it's easiest to just consider hours and elevation.

If you're doing a 100k flat singletrack ride, make sure you don't just train on the road, since singletrack requires much different skills and fitness. You can do your long rides on the road, but make sure to get your skills and core in shape for singletrack.

Most importantly, if you're not getting paid then make sure you're having fun!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I read an article about running once, specifically marathon running. There was a quote in there "If you can run for an hour, you can run a marathon". IME, I think this is correct. Pacing yourself and staying fed on a long ride are the most important variables that control whether you finish or not. At the Hampshire 100, the race starts with a lot of open road riding on paved and gravel roads. This leads to a lot of inexperienced riders going out too hard and burning all their matches on the first 20 miles, before the riding actually gets tough. The most frequently uttered phrase before that race is "I went out too hard last year". After the race, it's "I went out too hard". As a slow SS rider, I get to watch all these guys pass me on the roads, then one by one I pick them off as they blow up, cramp, gut bomb, or all 3.

So for the guy planning his first 100k in 8wks, go out and get your fueling strategy DIALED. Learn what tempo pace feels like and how to ride at that pace when you have other riders flying by you. If you don't have a lot of base and fitness, you'll likely be shocked at how slow tempo pace really is. Get rested before race day, then stick to your race plan. Don't get suckered in to burning matches early on. That's my .02.