Taper?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Taper?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Taper?

Do you do any sort of tapering for none A races?
    Small ring in front makes it easier. Small ring in back makes it harder. That blows my mind.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I usually just do less the weekend before and take it easy that week before the race. For biking, I feel that is enough for me to do well on race day. For an A race, I might do two weeks of taper.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cirecc View Post
    I usually just do less the weekend before and take it easy that week before the race. For biking, I feel that is enough for me to do well on race day. For an A race, I might do two weeks of taper.
    For a B race I normally will dial back my Thursday interval duration, Friday is always a rest day and Saturday will be race pre-ride/openers for a Sunday race. So that’s a 1.5 workout day taper from my normal schedule. It will also depend where the race falls on my training calendar (end of a 3 week block of training vs coming off a rest week). If I’m a bit fatigued I will shorten the duration (not intensity) of my Tuesday and Wednesday rides race week as well. The theory is that I want to be a little fresher than normal to have a good B race, but not dial my training back so much to affect my training progress headed towards my A race.

It will also depend on how many B races you have and how far out you are from your A race. For instance, if you have 5 B races before your A race and you do a week taper each time, you have introduced 5 weeks of possibly lesser training into your schedule. You’d have to decide if the experience gained at B races outweighs the training interruptions from a taper week as well as any additional fatigue from a race recovery.

For a C race I only adjust the day before the race with race pre-ride/openers.
    2018 Scott Spark RC 900 World Cup | “If you’re not first you’re last”

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cirecc View Post
    +1

The week before a race offers little or no opportunity to add fitness, but plenty of time to add fatigue!
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Lately I've been doing a lot of threshold work on the trainer. I have a race on Dec 1. My A race is in Feb. At any rate, I'll probably just ease up a little on the second half of the week leading up. Thanks everyone.
    Small ring in front makes it easier. Small ring in back makes it harder. That blows my mind.