Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Stumpy 29er, Rumblefish 29er or custom steel hardtail 29er(also posted in 29er forum)

4K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  kosmo 
#1 ·
Howdy Folks,

I am close to purchasing a new bike and could use some feedback. While I am not going to purchase a specific endurance racing bike, I would like to complete the occasional endurance event. Regional events on my to do list include the Test of Metal in BC, the Checkamus Challenge in BC, Capital Forest 50 or 100 and possibly the High Cascade 100 in Bend.

Most of my riding takes place in Northwest Washington (Bellingham area) so a trail oriented 29er is appealing. I am a "wheels on the ground type of rider", but I do like to ride fast on rough steep trails. I also like climbing.

I am 6'8" and 235 - 240lbs so I am limited as to what bikes actually fit. To this point I have found I am most comfortable on at least a 26 inch top tube. At my size, bike durability is also important which is why I am looking at the Stumpy / Rumblefish verses the Epic / Hi Fi. I also know the wheel set is very important and have specific ideas about wheels regardless of what direction I go. Currently I am riding a Norco 6 that has been great, but is too small and too heavy.

So, I have narrowed the search to a 2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 29er, a 2011 Trek Rumblefish 2 which I have demoed and really felt good on and can get for a good price, or a custom steel hardtail with 100mm fork from either Curtlo or Waltworks. The custom bike will mean a bit of a wait. With a build capable of reliably carrying a larger rider I think each bike would be 28 to 30 lbs.

So, how would a 29er Stumpy / Rumblefish 29er trail bikes perform in an endurance event for a rider who just wants to finish? I realize training is a big part of the equation.

How would a steel hardtail with a 100mm fork and gobs of rear tire clearance work (2.4) for general trail riding for a 40 year old clydesdale rider in decent shape?

Are alot of people riding trail bikes with more travel then they really need?

Other thoughts / comments are also welcome.
E

See less See more
#3 ·
Rode the Cream Puff on the 2011 Stumpy SWorks SS, It beat me up, duh! All my other rides have been great! Love the bike! No need for FS after a certain point in fitness training. Gears, well that another story,

#4 ·
Of the bikes you're looking at, I would choose the Rumblefish by a small margin, since it is stiffer than the Stumpy. But ride both, even if it's just standing and mashing around on pave streets near a bike shop. If the 2012 Stumpy is stiffer than last year's version, that might be your ticket, since the brain will let you easily tune the bike a bit racier for actual race use.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.