Sm100- Mtbr.com

Thread: Sm100

mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Sm100

So it's one month out. This will be my 1st one. My goal is simply to finish. I've pre-ridden most of the course (did Death climb/ Chestnut Friday).

Any tips for just finishing?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    As well as the drive train and suspension - make sure entire bike is dialed in - little things that might not matter at the local park are important in the forest. New pads, stans topped off and bring spare links, tubes, Co2 and whatever you can think of to get you to next aid station if something goes awry.

Hopefully you have a plan for your nutrition. 'Just finishing' to me usually means an 10-13 hour rider. You must consume many calories to last that long. I do liquid only, some folks use the aid stations. The key is to know what works for you. Figure that out NOW.

Know the course, what to expect. Don't waste energy fighting the crowds on first 25 miles or so. Just take it easy, patience is good. Realize that the first 57 miles of the race has 4 of the climbs and both single track climbs - as such it is considerably slower/harder than the back 40 so don't quit at AS4. Refuel/eat on the death climb and motor up that sucker. If you ride road, this will not be a death climb. After you get off of Chestnut you will finish, its too close not to.

Good attitude will do more than you realize. Do not quit when you hit that first dark place (it will happen). If you stop riding because you don't feel like it anymore (not because bike breaks or you are hurt, sick) you WILL regret it for the foreseeable future.. If you think stopping in the Aid Stations for a while will make things better you are wrong. You will hurt again as soon as you get back on bike. And stopping too long leads to rational thought which leads to bailing. Keep moving. You will have ample people to talk to on the bike/trails.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Thanks for the insight. I generally carry all of those things for every ride, so that shouldn't be an issue. I have been working on nutrition all summer with mixed results. I seem to need to eat and drink ALOT more than anyone else I ride with.
    As a bigger clyde, a 13 hour finish would be pretty remarkable. I'm hoping for 14.
    I've pre-ridden everything except the Brailys pond descent and the descent into camp at the finish. I'll get those knocked out in the next couple of weeks (if the monsoons ever stop). I just heard that there will be a course change this year (possibly related to the new pipeline project) but I haven't heard any details.

Thanks again
    It's the not giving up when it really sucks part that I'm most worried about.

mtbr member
    Find someone to ride with during the race that is about the same ability, this really helped me get through my first one. If it was not for the other person we would both have quit at mile 80.

DO NOT try any food at the aid stations that you previously have not tried, no matter the temptation. Don't ask me how I know!

Need to pace yourself and keep track of how you are moving, if you start too slow with the idea of just finishing, most of the time you will not finish. If 14 hours is the goal then you need to be knocking out 7mph, typically you will ride slower as you progress, would shoot for a 8-9mph avg including stops.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    tips from a 12 hour serious(ish) perspective...have fun! and yes it is very improtant to remember as a newb that trying to doing any "resting" at rest stops will not help; get in and get out. if you sit do down BE CAREFUL the "comfy" chairs are like black holes for time and motivation.

definitely do what works for you; but I say eat whatever looks good! just not too much too fast and wash that shit down with lots of water... bring some extra junk food from the rest stops along for the road so you don't eat too much in one sitting. i enjoy "living off the land" at these things. Coke after 80 tough miles tastes like nectar from the gods!

SM100 is a tough but fantastic course and the organization behind the race is second to none. TO ME you gotta have a slice of pizza at the last rest stop just because they trucked pizza 20 miles into the wilderness for you crazy mofos!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    This is going to be my first time doing the SM100 as well. I haven't pre-ridden any of it... so that should be fun! I'm on a "finisher" pace as well. I'd love to do sub 12, but we'll see how that goes.

One thing on my mind is to minimize time in the aid stations. I heard not to stop at aid station one because it's early in the race, and the next one is 10 "mostly flat" miles away.

Also, dropbag your lights at the second to last checkpoint. If you need the lights at that point count on needing at least 4 hours of run time on your battery to finish, so prepare for that.

Does anyone know what kind of sports drink they will be offering at the checkpoints?

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill View Post
    tips from a 12 hour serious(ish) perspective...

TO ME you gotta have a slice of pizza at the last rest stop just because they trucked pizza 20 miles into the wilderness for you crazy mofos!
    I believe pizza is aid station 5 (2nd to last).
    Aid 6 is SCUD Fries! (I cut and cooked about 90lbs of them last year)...

My primary ride nutrition through training has been skratch, gels/blocks and PB&J sandwiches.
    I plan to bring my own drink mix/blocks/gels and mostly eat from the aid stations.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill View Post
    tips from a 12 hour serious(ish) perspective...have fun! and yes it is very improtant to remember as a newb that trying to doing any "resting" at rest stops will not help; get in and get out. if you sit do down BE CAREFUL the "comfy" chairs are like black holes for time and motivation.

definitely do what works for you; but I say eat whatever looks good! just not too much too fast and wash that shit down with lots of water... bring some extra junk food from the rest stops along for the road so you don't eat too much in one sitting. i enjoy "living off the land" at these things. Coke after 80 tough miles tastes like nectar from the gods!

SM100 is a tough but fantastic course and the organization behind the race is second to none. TO ME you gotta have a slice of pizza at the last rest stop just because they trucked pizza 20 miles into the wilderness for you crazy mofos!
    I was told that about Coke as well. had one my first time and 10 minutes later puked and almost died, walked the last 10 miles to the finish, taking me 2 1/2 hrs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by notso View Post
    I believe pizza is aid station 5 (2nd to last).
    Aid 6 is SCUD Fries! (I cut and cooked about 90lbs of them last year)...
    yeah by that point it is always hazy. I just remember riding to the top of a never ending climb deep in the woods on my first go at this thing and smelling pizza. I thought i was hallucinating (might have been a little) and then i rounded the corner and sure as shit; boxes and boxes of pizza deep in the woods where you'd never expect it.

it's the little awesome things along the way that make you forget how f-ing hard the rest of it was... the race/course is awesome; i'll be back some year fer sure!

largeman; you sip the coke not gulp it... but yes one man's delight is another man's torture.

final thought; surround yourself with positive riders, especially if you find yourself slippin into darkness. i can't tell you the number of people you come across that not only seem completely miserable but will try and spread there misery to you. f-them! ride with someone who is positive and don't let someone else's negativity get in your head. because in the end REALLY AND TRULY; it's all in your head man. YOU CAN DO IT! don't let yourself or anyone else convince you can't.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by MudderNutter View Post
    I heard not to stop at aid station one because it's early in the race, and the next one is 10 "mostly flat" miles away.

Does anyone know what kind of sports drink they will be offering at the checkpoints?
    Who ever told you it was "mostly flat" from aid 1 to 2, is lieing to you. The Lynn trail climb is in there, & that's 40+ min of hike-a-bike for me (ymmv). I'm pretty sure it's more like 15 miles too.

I'm pretty sure they have Heed for their sports drink.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Who ever told you it was "mostly flat" from aid 1 to 2, is lieing to you. The Lynn trail climb is in there, & that's 40+ min of hike-a-bike for me (ymmv). I'm pretty sure it's more like 15 miles too.

I'm pretty sure they have Heed for their sports drink.
    Lol, well thatís good to know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    FYI: from the website (2016 info so some of the services/supplies may change, but locations should be good):

Aid 1: 12 miles (Bottom of Tillman west descent) water only

aid2: 32 miles full on food, water & heed. (I worked this one last year and there was also neutral tech support from one of the local shops) cutoff 12:30

aid3: 45 miles (bottom of dowels draft), full on food, water, and Heed. cutoff 2:30

aid4: 57 miles (bottom of Braley pond descent), full on food, water and heed, other sports drinks, some carbonated soda. cutoff 4:00

aid 5: 75 miles (top of death climb), hammer gel, full on food, water, heed (pizza), light dropoff. 4:20 cutoff without lights, 6:00 cutoff with lights

aid 6: 88 miles, full on food water etc (SCUD fries). cutoff 8:00. This is the same location as aid 2 we didn't cut anyone off last year. I was told by the person in charge (of the aid station) last year that unless they were having heart issues, to push everyone who made it to us to finish. "If they've made it 88 miles, they can make it 12 more". We sent the last couple folks out well after dark (they finished at around 15:30-40)
    Last edited by notso; 08-06-2018 at 06:18 AM. Reason: messed up miliage for aid 2

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    What tire setups are people going to run? I'm not familiar with the trails out there... Thinking of a Forekaster up front, and an Ikon out back... Considering an Ardent race out back for a little extra bite.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    What tire setups are people going to run? I'm not familiar with the trails out there... Thinking of a Forekaster up front, and an Ikon out back... Considering an Ardent race out back for a little extra bite.

I ran 2.25 IKON front and rear last year. Having never ridden any of that trail before, I would have been a bit more comfortable with a more aggressive front tire but the IKON was plenty good enough. I plan to use 2.35 RaRa's this year. If you are a less confident descender or one who really likes a bit more bite on the front tire late in a long race, go with that. Otherwise, a 2.35 IKON, RaRa or similar all around is a pretty solid setup. Fast rolling for the road sections, volume for the chatter, grip for much brap, such stoke, railing the downhills.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Best Race of any year Period! Go get you some, it is always the highlight of my riding season bar none!

You don't need overkill at all for tires but I would suggest a gripper front and faster rolling rear. Conditions do matter for sure and if it rains you wont want anything up front that can't eject some mud. Also dont want to have to pedal a bike up to Chestnut through detah climb with tires that are packed with mud and extra pounds of rotating weight.

I'll likely go EXO Ardent race rear or Ikon rear and definetely a EXO Forekaster up front. For sure get something with some sidewall protection while the course is not terribly rocky it has a couple moments and for just finishing no point in risking it. Other popular options would XR2/XR3 combo or XR3/XR4 combo. I have had good luck with Rocket Ron Snakeskin as front tire out there when my main concern was speed but now stay away from them becuase Fun is main goal. I personally wouldnt recommend RaRa but others use them.

For Aid Stations best support volunteers by far at any race, I have done with small camelbak and 1 bottle not needing to fill camelbak more than 1x/2x. Also have done with just 2 bottles no issue. Warning though some of those descents are cage rattlers and lots of participants loose bottles just watch out and be prepared for that, just about always the bigger descents have aid stations near the bottom and they will give you another bottle.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Sounds good! I guess I'd probably be good with either of the tire setups I mentioned... exo of course!

I don't have space for 2 bottles, so I'll definitely be bringing along my smaller camelbak. I feel like I do a much better job of keeping up my hydration when drinking from a bladder. Tailwind has been my drink of choice for awhile now, so I'm thinking that I'll put some of that in the drop bags just in case the sports drink that is provided isn't hitting the spot.

This is when we need MTBR shirts or somethin! Would be great to put some faces to names.

mtbr member
    Tailwind has been my drink of choice for awhile now, so I'm thinking that I'll put some of that in the drop bags just in case the sports drink that is provided isn't hitting the spot.
    If Tailwind works for you just pack it and know it works. I always have some of my preferred mix portioned out in my drop bags that I can use immediately or stick in my pockets for the next aid station that doesn't have a drop bag.

mtbr member
    Wonder what the course changes will be? The pipeline crosses the end of Dowels but so far all they have done is cut trees down for it. Could route us to the right down the new section of wild oaks trail (aka Magic moss) to avoid it. Also think that it crosses Braleys but they just said they did brush clearing on it for the race this week so I assume it is still in.

FYI for pre riding the killing fields at the top of the death climb are way overgrown I wouldn't ride it until there is word that they have been cleared.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    So will the gpx files from previous years not be accurate for this year? Anyone know if they release a gpx before the race?

I found this one from 2013 https://www.strava.com/segments/5352513

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I doubt anything changes this year. The old version from 2013 wont be right though been small changes here and there since than. The course is gernally marked really well.

Guessing this weekend will be big prerides for many annd hopefully we will see some reports.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I emailed the lodge to see if they could provide any clarification on the course change for 2018. I haven't heard back.
    I'm hoping to get out to Braley pond this weekend. That's the last piece of the known course that I haven't ridden.

mtbr member
    Word is the forest service doesn't want to approve the permit for the race with pipeline construction possibly happening. So far they have cleared trees for the pipeline but nothing else and all work has come to a halt due to the court rulings so really there isn't a concern but if the forest service won't release the permit then the course will have to be altered to not cross the pipeline so no Dowels or Braleys. My guess is there is no official word because its still undecided if it will have to change or not.

mtbr member
    SM100 crew confirmed on Instagram there are NO changes to this years course Woot!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Great news!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Since the course is the same my .02 cents to the OP is to dial in your cheat sheet (elevation profile with the AS's on it). The cheat sheet on the top tube is your freind and will help you through the dark times. Also make sure your computer can handle it...just let it run with you for a 12hrs or what ever you think your finishing time will be during a work day or something. Being out there and not knowing how much further is the worst!
    MyRides - Santa Cruz Tallboy CC, Van Dessel Ramble tamble SS, Look 986 1x10,

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Thanks for the tip!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Anybody know if there is an easy place to get in a shuttle the day before the race? I want to get in a little warm up without putting much strain on the legs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    You can definitely shuttle to the top of reddish knob and come down wolf. There are a few kicker climbs on the way down. Wolf is probably the most technical descent in the SM as well, so seeing it ahead of time wouldn't be bad. Keep in mind that the SM course only does wolf from the intersection with Lynn trail. If you come of the top you'll encounter some stuff that's really rowdy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    You can definitely shuttle to the top of reddish knob and come down wolf. There are a few kicker climbs on the way down. Wolf is probably the most technical descent in the SM as well, so seeing it ahead of time wouldn't be bad. Keep in mind that the SM course only does wolf from the intersection with Lynn trail. If you come of the top you'll encounter some stuff that's really rowdy.
    Thanks, not worried about the tech... but by "kicker" climb do you mean just a short punchy up? That doesn't sound too bad. Any idea on the distance?

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Yes, there are a few "short punchy ups" on that descent. I think it's about 8 miles "down". Look at "Reddish Knob: Timber Ridge to Wolf Ridge " on MTB project. The mapped loop they have includes the road climb to the top of Reddish.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to notso again."

mtbr member
    I'm riding the SM100 for the first time this year too. I'd like to come in less than 12 hours. I finished the Iron Mt. 100k in 7 hours earlier this year. Anyone done both?

I climbed up to Reddish from the campground a few weeks ago and rode down hearthstone ridge. I ended up tearing a derailleur cable on hearthstone because it is fairly overgrown right now. I can't remember if the top was overgrown or not, but it's definitely rocky. I am considering doing a tilman west loop the day before just to get the legs stretched out as I feel like that loop has less chance for a mechanical. There should be plenty of people there willing to do a shuttle though.

anyone else checking the weather every 3 or 4 hours....
    '16 Giant Trance

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by ActivNva View Post
    anyone else checking the weather every 3 or 4 hours....
    Yep. Wishing for cooler temps..

I don't think Hearthstone ever gets cleared, so it's pretty much always overgrown in that grassy middle section. As I said above, I think there is value in riding Wolf due to the rocks and alternate lines available.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Being from the south... a high of 85 sounds wonderful, haha

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Does anybody have an extra set of TOGS I could buy or borrow for the race? Bike got knocked over by my kids at the hotel and broke one of my TOGS. Definitely not the worst thing that could happen, but I use them a lot on death climb.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by solo-x View Post
    Does anybody have an extra set of TOGS I could buy or borrow for the race? Bike got knocked over by my kids at the hotel and broke one of my TOGS. Definitely not the worst thing that could happen, but I use them a lot on death climb.
    I do not & I just checked the bike shop here in Charlottesville (no love). Reach out to Gordon Wadsworth at the campground tomorrow. I know he uses them and I think he's sponsored by them, so he may have a spare set.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Man.... WHAT AN EVENT! I still canít believe how great the aid stations were. Trails were slick, sloppy, and thunderstormy.... but still fast as hell. I was shooting for under 12, and got around 11:40. Which felt great for how sloppy things were.

Man did I see some crashes though. I saw one dude OTB off of the downward side of some bench cut on a rock staircase. Iíve never seen a bike get thrown so far! (He eventually stopped rolling down the hill and was okay somehow).

Personal accomplishments:
    -beat goal time
    -fought off cramps at mile 50
    -didnít get passed on a downhill all day
    -had lots of beers at the end, and good times with friends

10 out of 10 event. Would recommend.

mtbr member
    I couldn't agree more. The aid stations were phenomenal. The fries at aid 6 were probably the best I have ever had. I was shooting for under 12 also, and missed by 18 minutes. Not a big deal....I'm still really happy with it. I never got passed going down either.

I'm super impressed by the whole event. They did a great job planning. They never ran out of food, started on time, and there was still beer left the next morning.

I saw some big crashes too. I also saw people walking one foot drops. I am not sure why.

What was with all the flats near the start? I saw 5-10 people all clumped up with flats before we even hit singletrack.
    '16 Giant Trance

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Are results posted anywhere?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Preliminary results came out in an e-mail. Official results should be coming out soon.
    '16 Giant Trance

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bogeydog View Post
    Are results posted anywhere?

Yup! They sent out an email with a link for the unofficial results

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Yup! They sent out an email with a link for the unofficial results

If you can, forward to me please

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bogeydog View Post
    If you can, forward to me please

https://www.bikereg.com/BR/a/1779/Sh...ts----2018.pdf

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ActivNva View Post
    I couldn't agree more. The aid stations were phenomenal. The fries at aid 6 were probably the best I have ever had. I was shooting for under 12 also, and missed by 18 minutes. Not a big deal....I'm still really happy with it. I never got passed going down either.

I'm super impressed by the whole event. They did a great job planning. They never ran out of food, started on time, and there was still beer left the next morning.

I saw some big crashes too. I also saw people walking one foot drops. I am not sure why.

What was with all the flats near the start? I saw 5-10 people all clumped up with flats before we even hit singletrack.
    Haha, man I was wondering the same thing about all of the people with flats at the beginning. My guess is they were running super lightweight tires and found some foreign objects in the thicker gravel. No idea though. I was talking to my buddy after that about how I vow to never run a tire without a proper casing in an endurance event.

How about that thunder and lightning at the top of chestnut though?! That will stay with me a long time. Pretty amazing experience.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Great time supper challenging, have been doing this race or been involved as volunteer in a couple injury years for awhile now and those were definetly toughest conditions I've ridden in. Thing is it was not tough in just a spot or two or just a couple really bad spots the slick muddy conditions throughout just made it a little slower going all day than normal and added up very quick.

As far as lightnining around chestnut I swore I saw a stike right in front of me going through killer fileds but just brushed off to "that didnt really happen and too tired to care" until I got to end and other riders and frieinds said the same.

IMO anyone under 12 this year really crushed it under 10 is just bad azz. I was over 12 and well over an hour from my time last year and almost 3 hours longer than PR.

Edit: looks like 103 DNFs in all likelyhood 114 when you add in the missing riders who didnt report out. Didnt bother counting the DNS but even for this race that is a ton lot of really good rioders on that list also (and not jsut the known big names).

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I was among the dnf's. Didn't have a great feeling about my training coming into it and just hopped that I would toughen up enough to gut it out. I fell apart in the sun on Hankey. Then split my knee open on some greasy rock half way down Dowells and pulled the plug at aid 3. At least I didn't put my bike through the big mud bogs on Johnson draft and the killing fields...

mtbr member
    This was my 7th SM100 and probably ties my first that had the tropical storm as far as toughness. Anyone that finished this year get major props!

I started out good and was in the first 50 or so riders going into the single track. Saw at least 5 flats on the Tillman descent and thought I was lucky without one. Then by the time I reached dog grave yard on the grave road I realized my rear tire was flat. I tired adding air but it didn't want to hold and with all the mud and water I couldn't tell where it was coming from. So out came my tube and pump. Pump is an old POS and so was the tube and one or the other wasn't working. About to roll back to AID1 on a flat tire when someone threw me a tube and my teammate caught me and gave me his pump. I got going again but knew that my personal record time with conditions and flat were shot. So I went into stupid race mode chasing every rider and even running past people on Lynn. Found someone else tube in the trail on Wolf descent and crammed it in my jersey since I figured it might come in handy.

I hammered up Hankey and started down Dowels when I started to realize how off my times were and how slick things were. I decided racing was no longer important and even considered riding back to camp. I figured a DNF over a flat and some mud wasn't worthy so I pressed on keeping a good pace but taking my time when I felt like it. Final time was 9hrs 47mins way off what I wanted but actually not bad in overall placing.

Wins for the day I saw and talked to my wife 3 times when she was marshaling since I wasn't in a hurry for once. Legs felt great all day even still had some good power by the finish and no cramping. Missed all the rain on the course!

Fails my own fault for not being more prepared for a flat. I told AID2 to throw away the pump and tube so I still don't know which was bad. Also didn't drink enough I have a bad habit of doing.

Anyone have tire recommendations? I've used Fastraks for years but ever since they changed to the new version a while back I kept having cuts in the tread. I had a Maxxis Ikon on the rear but just didn't like the traction so I swapped back right before the race.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Based on all the stories I am hearing I'm sorta glad I sat this one out. Some studs getting close to 12 hr times and everyone seemed to be a minimum of 30 minutes slower. That makes Shreddie's 6:50 and 1/2 hour win over Bishop insane! How fast would he have gone in better conditions? I say DAYUM...

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I do not & I just checked the bike shop here in Charlottesville (no love). Reach out to Gordon Wadsworth at the campground tomorrow. I know he uses them and I think he's sponsored by them, so he may have a spare set.
    That was plan A, and turns out Gordon had me covered with the hookup.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Man, I love this race. I had to revise my time targets once course conditions revealed they weren't going to cooperate, but managed a sub-10hr finish anyhow. Everything went to plan pacing and nutrition wise, and I didn't have any mechanical woes to deal with either. Kept it rubber side down, got a lot of help working with others in pace lines, and really took advantage of the awesome aid stations. I'll be back next year!

mtbr member
    This was a brutal race for sure! I think the wet grounds really made for a slow day. As for me, this was my 4th time racing Shen. I've had the same bike for all 4 of these and nothing changed this year. I ran Maxxis Ikons and they were great! I finished 9:31 on my rigid single speed (6th in class, 42nd overall). A big thanks to Chris and all of the amazing volunteers! What a great event!
    Still Life Photographer | NYC
    www.nathankraxberger.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dan4jeepin View Post
    Anyone have tire recommendations? I've used Fastraks for years but ever since they changed to the new version a while back I kept having cuts in the tread. I had a Maxxis Ikon on the rear but just didn't like the traction so I swapped back right before the race.
    Conditions like Sunday try the Forekaster but it is good all rounder for the area as well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Forekaster worked well for me. I had a little too much air in it at first and it was a bit scary, but I let some air out and it started hooking up well.

If I do the race in wet conditions again I might even run one front and rear

mtbr member
    Has anyone seen any photos floating around the web? I cant seem to find any. thanks!
    www.nathankraxberger.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    The "Charlottesville Area Mountain Bike Club (CAMBC)" posted some on their facebook page.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Those are almost all from the start and Aid 2/6. I saw a couple photographers out on course, but have no idea where those pics are.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I saw that photographer at the bottom of Wolf... I took the shortcut alt line over the boulder, and saw her look at her camera and say "YES". I was the only rider there, so I'm really hoping for something sweet, haha

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by nkrax View Post
    This was a brutal race for sure! I think the wet grounds really made for a slow day. As for me, this was my 4th time racing Shen. I've had the same bike for all 4 of these and nothing changed this year. I ran Maxxis Ikons and they were great! I finished 9:31 on my rigid single speed (6th in class, 42nd overall). A big thanks to Chris and all of the amazing volunteers! What a great event!

How the friggin hell did you ride the descent to AS6? I got rattled apart on that descent with a Fox34 on the bike. Doing that rigid sounds super not fun.

As for the tire question, I used 2.35 ADDIX RaRa's front and rear and was super pleased with them. I have 2.35 Forekasters and 2.25 IKONs in my collection but find the RaRa's grip better than the IKON and roll better than both the Maxxis options I have. Don't get me wrong, I think the Maxxis tires are really good tires, but I think the RaRa's are just a tick better in all areas except durability. I seem to ride "light" and can get away with slightly lighter casings though, so I'm willing to trade a tick of durability for some extra rolling speed and grip. I used the Forekaster/IKON combo at a race a few weeks prior to SM100 where I need the extra bite of the Forekaster up front and some extra durability with the IKON on the rear. With all the road work at SM100, I wanted the best rolling tire I could put under me and went with the RaRa's instead of IKONs. (I used IKONs last year though as prior to the ADDIX line the Schwalbe stuff was just too fragile for my tastes)

mtbr member
    I had RaRa many years ago and while I loved the traction they pretty much lasted one training ride and then SM100 before they were toast. The tread just wore down to fast and all the knobs were chewed up from the rocks. I couldn't stomach the price for so little life but maybe they have improved on this front.

Most people seem to like the IKONs but for some reason it just seemed to not have the traction I wanted. I have a 2.35 on a fairly narrow rim so maybe going to the narrower 2.2 might actually work better.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dan4jeepin View Post
    I had RaRa many years ago and while I loved the traction they pretty much lasted one training ride and then SM100 before they were toast. The tread just wore down to fast and all the knobs were chewed up from the rocks. I couldn't stomach the price for so little life but maybe they have improved on this front.

I've done it on either rara's ro roro's and sometimes a combo of the two..You are right though they do not last..maybe with the new addix compound but yep, 1 SM100 will render the tire done. The side nobs just tear away at the base and then the whole thing gets slippery around turns.
    This is a great thread for me as its the first year in a while that i've skipped it. Some have mentioned the "tropical storm" year in which a large fleeting tropical depression (former hurricane) hit that day...sounds like something similar.
    anyways nice work to all that finished
    MyRides - Santa Cruz Tallboy CC, Van Dessel Ramble tamble SS, Look 986 1x10,

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    The ADDIX compound lasts much longer. My rear tire has Mohican, Lumberjack, Wilderness and Shenandoah on it, plus a 6hr and a few hundred training miles. It wonít out last my IKONs, but itís surpassed my non-ADDIX RoRos from last year. I swapped those front to rear and did Crotched, and half of Wilderness but by the time Shenandoah came around they were weeping sealant and some knobs had started to tear. Thatís the main reason I used my IKONs for last years SM100 as I was worried the RoRoss might give me trouble.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by solo-x View Post
    How the friggin hell did you ride the descent to AS6? I got rattled apart on that descent with a Fox34 on the bike. Doing that rigid sounds super not fun.
    Ohh it was miserable. No two ways about it.
    www.nathankraxberger.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I saw that photographer at the bottom of Wolf... I took the shortcut alt line over the boulder, and saw her look at her camera and say "YES". I was the only rider there, so I'm really hoping for something sweet, haha
    Chris Scott posted up a link to a couple photo albums (on the book of faces) from the race. I'm at work, so can't get to face book to post a link.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Looking ahead to next year... What nearby hotels are recommended? I know there is camping at the race but that may not be preferred by some in my family...

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Staunton is probably the closest town with a decent variety of hotels to choose from. Bridgewater and Harrisonburg are also within reasonable drives.