Shoes?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Shoes?

Just ride.
    May 2011

Shoes?

Something I was just wondering, but what shoes does everyone here use for their endurance races? I currently have an old ~2003 pair of specialized sport shoes, but was wondering if it would be more practical to have something more along the lines of:
    Shimano MT32L MTB Shoes '09 > Apparel > Shoes and Footwear > Mountain Bike Shoes | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

Not that I'm planning on walking much, but figure it's better to ask now then after I find out I have the wrong kit for the job..

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Personally I just used out and out race shoes, Specialized BG ones at the moment (trying hard not to spend a stupid amount of money on yellow mavic's at the moment!). It does depend on what sort of endurance races you are doing, it's fairly rare occasion, apart from through transition on lap style events, that I walk/run at all. Thus I think it's better to have a stiffer shoe for pedalling. It does also depend a little on personal preference, if you like super stiff sole or a bit of give but generally I would say a xc race shoe is a better bet.

Team Velveeta™

Pearl Izumi X-Alp Enduro

Quote Originally Posted by The Bonz View Post
    ... It does depend on what sort of endurance races you are doing, it's fairly rare occasion, apart from through transition on lap style events, that I walk/run at all. Thus I think it's better to have a stiffer shoe for pedalling...
    That is the question: will you walk/hike-a-bike and if so, will it be rugged?

If I'm doing a gravel grinder or something like that where I won't need to walk much or at all I'll wear a comfy old pair of Sidi Dominators (eg italian loafers). But lots of what I do involves sustained hike-a-bike. Like the climb to Tomichi Pass in the Vapor Trail 125, the hip-deep rut full of bowling balls. Sidis are a joke for something like that.

My most often worn mtb shoe these days is the Pearl Izumi X-Alp Enduro II. The sole is really pretty stiff for what it is, but the tread is nice and rubbery. If I expect to be off the bike at all, especially if it's going to actually be steep and rocky, I'd rather be wearing those than the Sidis.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

Dirty South Underdog
    Mavic Fury
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

Fat-tired Roadie
    I think the MT32's the wrong direction. Stiff and racy. At least for me. If I ride for long in too flexy a shoe, my foot cramps and I'm afraid my flaky knee would start tracking funny. Stiffer shoes and insoles have been a successful combination for me. Nothing crazy-stiff, I'm in the wrong place in my life to pay for carbon. Currently wearing the Specialized BG Comp. I liked Sidi, but they've moved out of my pricepoint.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Shimano m310, but they're at the end of their lives right now. I'll probably get some Mavic Fury's next

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I like a stiff shoe. Eliminates foot burn, and I have two repaired knees so helps keep them stable.
    Specialized SWorks great for pedalling; but wont work if youre hiking.

hispanic mechanic
    I moved to some Bontrager RL MTB shoeshttp://bontrager.com/model/09605 this year, and have been really happy with them. I've only gotten one race in on them so far ( El Paso Puzzler,) but that had some significantly rocky hike-a-bike sections with big rocks.
    Just enough flex and they've held up well, far better than my Shimano M86s did.

Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I have some Sidi Dominators and love them. I went through several shoes were the insoles broke in half until I decided to quit being cheap and just buy something that would last. Four years and thousands of miles later they are still in great shape. The whole point of a good biking shoe is to gain efficiency through a stiff sole and solid straps. A shoe that has a soft sole and laces that are going to loosen during the ride defeats the whole purpose of having a cycling shoe in my humble opinion. Even during long races that you will have to spend some time hiking you are still going to be on the bike the majority of the time so it's not worth giving up that efficiency for a being a little more comfortable during a short hike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I have a very old pair of Sidi Dominator 5 shoes that I just love! They are not the stiffest shoe, but they are stiff enough and my feet just love them!

I have two newer pairs of Shimano shoes that fit well and are much stiffer; I use them for XC racing. And I have two pairs of Lake boots that I use in the winter. But when it comes to long races the Sidi's are my go-to shoe!
    --
    Joe Partridge

Schwizzle
    Apr 2006
    I love north waves......good performance. At a reasonable price

mtbr member

Sidi Dominators

They've lasted for years. I like them so much, I take them on vacation with me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shoes?-mini-img_1465.jpg  

Tequila is a pallid flame that passes through walls and soars over tile roofs to allay despair. A. Mutis

Dirty South Underdog
    Quote Originally Posted by Zignzag View Post
    They've lasted for years. I like them so much, I take them on vacation with me.
    repped!
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

mtbr member
    Mavic Razor's are very comfortable, breathe well, dry quickly (I did coat them with water repellant though!). The soles grip really well due to their softer rubber compound than other shoes when you have to hike a bike. The ratchet componentry is metal/not plastic which is nice. I also like the Bontranger RL's.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Specialized S-Works MTB. Light, stiff, close fitting, well vented. Not cheap.
    Whining is not a strategy.

You down with entropy?
    my feet enjoy Lake shoes

I have used MX400's for 2 pairs. lots of use and ran into the issues with the rubber falling off of them (pretty well documented), but at the silly prices I paid that was fine. I never did heat mold them.

latest are MX235c same great fit for me replaceable toe spikes as well. served me well last season including some hike-a-bike in my attempt at the Breck 100.

Also as a kicking around more hiking friendly is the lake mx185, out of production but the ones with 2 velcro straps and a buckle, Vibram soles with decent lugs.
    slightly narrower fit to the pair I have, but they have also been good.

best suggestion is to try on lots of shoes. I personally tend towards the stiffer carbon soled for endurance events as my silly feet like the support.

Fat & Single
    Lake here too, i have 2 x pairs of MX330c, one black one white fitted up with the yellow Superfeet insoles.... awesome shoes!
    Santa Cruz Hightower LT Evil Following Trek 9.9 Superfly SL IndyFab Deluxe 29 Pivot Vault CX Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by RiotMTB View Post
    I like a stiff shoe. Eliminates foot burn, and I have two repaired knees so helps keep them stable.
    Specialized SWorks great for pedalling; but wont work if youre hiking.
    I have a pair of Sworks road and mountain and don't think I'll ever own a different model of shoe. I can attest that they really stink for walking though. Did the Lumberjack last year and got a bad blister that almost caused me to DNF. I'm a big fan of a stiff sole but if you are goig to walk u might want to go a different direction.

Grip it and rip it.
    I have a pair of Mavic something or others that I love. The 2nd time I ever used them was in a 24 solo and didn't have any problems.
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional"

michaelmblog.wordpress.com

Members who have read this thread: 0