Which shoe: fizik or giro?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Which shoe: fizik or giro?

Hi i need a shoe for next months 12 hr race. I have reduced my list to either fizik m3 or giro code.
    Both have comments on thier comfortability and stiff soles. Does anyone have any experience with either or both.
    I have quite wide flat feet.
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I have had both and have a lot of use on both.

Fizik Uomo - Lasted 9 months including multiple endurance race, eventually the buckle ripped off completley, Fizik after some email exchange said they would fix for free but I had to ship to italy and never got a round to it. Great shoes if you might have to do some hike a bike and for long days. Not near as stiff as other shoes I have used.

Giro Code - Still have them great insoles, great fit, very stiff, terrible for hike a bike. My go to shoes for endurace cross rides though and XC racing.

Overall they are really different shoes for a 12hr race I would like prefer the Fizik's, the Giro's are stiffer and seemed more durable to me though.

Right now I am primarily using PI X-project, stiff on the bike and good hike a bike. Not as overly comfortable as the fizik, not as stiff as the code.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    thought about BONT?

mtbr member

Which shoe: fizik or giro?

Ive read bont are a love hate thing, and i'd have to buy online, blind.

Thanks HEMljer, great information,now am a bit concerned with the durability of the fizik

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    To be fair I did use them in some very rough rocky terrain. They are comfortable, but in general sometimes that sacrifices durability. Lots of Mesh, softer cloth lining, sewn on buckles. Where some of my other shoes are mostly leather (or synthetic equivalent). Still for long days in the saddle with some hike a bike Fizik were could enough I considered another pair when I saw them on sale. Also probably bad on me on not taking Fizik up on offer to repair them for free (not sure how much shipping to Italy would be but cheaperthan new shoes for sure).
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    I have the Giro Codes. I also met a few people that have them and each one of us has said they are the most comfortable shoes we've owned. The three different insoles fell great, but I have very high arches so a lot of my weight is directly on the ball of my foot so I wear out that spot and the insoles are $50 to replace. I've had the shoes about a season and a half, gone through one extra set of insoles and that set is wearing out right as I'm retiring the shoes. The Hampshire 100 was their last hurrah, but they fit so well I grabbed two more pairs when I found them on clearance last year. As noted above, they are super-stiff and suck for hike a bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I've heard that neither are particularly good for wide feet. Have you actually tried on either pair?

I have a pair of Bonts and while they generally don't fit well out of the box, they are VERY adaptable and allegedly moldable forever. Drawback is that they're not meant for hike-a-bike as the lugs are fragile and quite a bit of stuff is simply bonded to the carbon tub. Buy them used because some other person wasn't patient enough to make them work.

For hike a bike I have some Spec Pros wide and 1/2 size larger. Would like to try out the Rime at some point. Most of the Spesh-ed like is available in wide. I'm not the biggest fan of the company but their shoes are decent for my fred flinstone feet.

mtbr member
    I love my codes and they are super comfy but durable they are not. Here' how they look after 11 months of riding. In addition to the wear on the toe box, the lugs on the front of the sole wore off in about three months. Before the codes I had a pair of the gauges, its like the same shoe with a EC70 carbon sole instead. They did the same thing and eventually the toe box even split open.

That being said the shoes are very comfortable, even on 100 mile mtb rides. Next time around I'm probably going to try and find something more durable though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Which shoe: fizik or giro?-20140823_000533.jpg  

It's carbon dontcha know.
    My Giro Gauges were probably the most comfortable MTB shoes I've ever had, but like the poster above, durable they are not.

Currently running Shimano SH-XC61's, almost as comfortable as the Gauge, waiting to see how durable.
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

mtbr member
    On my second pair of Codes, ran the first for over two years and the toe box isn't as bad as ssjohn’s they just look worn as as i would expect after that much use. the only prob I ever had was the ratchet strap teeth wearing on one shoe but giro sent me free replacement. Great shoes and my next pair will be codes.