mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Shenandoah 100 - How'd it go?

I'm keen to hear how everybody did out there. This was my first 100miler and it was brutal, but now that it's 2 days later I doesn't seem like it was so bad....

I see the hills and descents have names, can someone fill me in ... which descent is the Chestnut?

mtbr member
    Chestnut is the descent after the death climb (assuming you can't miss that soul crusher). Chestnut is the official name although I have already seen where several others have called it something else. You will find that several of these mountains have different names to different people.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

mtbr member
    I was grinding up near the top of that long section (after Aid #5) with a local guy and his name for the false summits was perfect...

"the 17 meadows of mind f--k"...

I had a great run, but my time wasn't spectacular, as I lost over half an hour stopping for wounded two different times.

Again, a TOP NOTCH event.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I seem to remember several death climbs...

The meadows... I passed a few meadows before I realized, oooohhhh these are the meadows and then I had no idea how many I had... totally screwed with my mind.

Dirty South Underdog
    I was slightly worried early on because I got picked off by geared women on every pre-climb road. However, by the time I was at aid #5, I'd managed to claw back 4 or 5 of them up the climbs to finish 8th, which landed me a 5th overall for the NUE series. The between-climb sections make that a tough course to hack when all of your competitors have gears
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

no, I'm not riding SS
    The meadows were crazy, but I have to say that being up that high, the cooler air was GREAT!

Lessons learned: burn a few matches at the start, as to not get caught in the single-track "waiting room"--must have stood there for 5-10 minutes to wait to enter that first ridge, then the packed descent. Will also hustle a bit more to get to the Lynn Trail, as the conga line here took nearly an hour to get up!

The volunteers were simply fantastic--the best being the angel that put the cold washcloth on my neck at AS#4!! a piece of heaven!

Happy with my finish--top 10 in clydes. the only time when being heavy is good for the ego!

mtbr member
    Last year was my first attempt but my pedal exploded on a very irate rock so this year I was a first time finisher. Very happy with a 10:29 on the rigid SS. Darn tough race with endless climbs.

mtbr member
    I did a little write up for my team blog.

I must say, everyone was right about the volunteers. They ROCK!! Food was very good as well, which I didn't expect for some reason.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

What It Be ?
    I felt decent. An hour faster then last year at 11:56 last year was 13:01 year before was 14:10. I got stuck behind some people that didn't seem to think that the climb up Braileys was unridable, the offcamber rocky climb between 3 and 4. Lost time there. Also had cramping issues I can't seem to beat. Hydrated all week stretched still cramped before AS2 on the ridge after the hike-a-bike.

It ain't easy being Green
    ^^ Have you tried Endurolites? What works for me is five before the race then two every hour. When you say "I hydrated" do you mean with water or a sports drink? Pre-hydrating with just water can flush all the electrolytes out of your system...

What It Be ?
    Just water all week. I was drinking Nuun 2 tabs per bottle drank prob 12 13 bottles that day. Also taking Ecaps not as many as I should. Pretzels at the stops coated in salt.

Didn't know that water could flush it all out...so drinking Nuun or something of the like the week prior would be a good idea?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I've usually have cramping issues after 3 hours, I think it has to do with fitness and hydration.
    A few people recommended Infinit Nutrition which I used for a 5 hour race, I had a few twinges but no big hairy cramps.
    For the Shenandoah 100 I used Infinit again and again had a couple twinges at 3 hours 30, but then no cramps after that.

mtbr member
    My first 100 miler and I was very happy with how things went (9:36). The people at the aid stations were great. I also had a cool washcloth on my neck and my chain lubed. I was shocked at how many people I saw with flats. The climb leaving #5 was a little bastard but I think the last climb was the toughest mentally. I really wanted to just stop and rest for awhile but I knew I had to keep moving. I'd say my 29er HT was perfect for this course.

Looking forward to the Vermont50.

snowbound
    Jan 2005
    Loved it - the downhills were spectacular.

I gotta ask about those bugs up top the final big climb (through the meadows) They looked like blackflys - anyways, 4 days later and I am still itching - I must have 50 bites (some of them I know were from after the race - as they are on my feet - but many around the wrists, legs arms - anywhere there was exposed skin - anyone else?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I didn't get any bites, but I did notice the bugs flying around.

mtbr member
    My wife got a ton of bites, but I didn't get any. I guess I'm just not tasty enough.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Also used Inifint for the entire event, and didnt cramp once. I dont think your body stores reserves, so drinking a week prior probably wont do much. I started drinking water, and gatorade the day before, and I was fine, along with about 22 oz per hour mixed with my infinit.

Karma Vampire
    First, I want to say that the volunteers make this 100 miler the best in the country. What a great idea to "strongly urge" racers to not to bring guests unless they volunteer.

My race went well considering lots of time off the bike this summer. I rode all of the road climbs. Got smoked on the DH's. Then sucked energy from multi-speed riders on the climbs. I even took a turn pulling on the pavement. I just need a ton more work to ride all the single track. No bonk, cramps or headaches with Infinit. It felt good to take a few minutes off last year, given the heat & humidity.

Cevan, I too was surprised by all the flats. I chalk it up to fly bites and a carp load of rocks. I suppose there will be a few more tubeless converts after this race. I made my sacrifices to the flat tire gods by handing out a tube and a well loved Blackburn Mtn Mini Pump. Next time I am putting my charity's web address on the pump. Better yet, I should just wait. It ain't like Gerry P. was quaking in his Sidi's :-)

I want to wish Simonster a speedy recovery. I hope I can finish soon enough in 2012 to see Mike atop the SM100 podium.

It was comforting, though not a surprise, to read how the race organizers and volunteers reacted after the accident.

HTFU!
    My First Hundi...it Hurt.
    Hit a tree ~mile 30-40 that knocked me off my bike and down the ravine...sore, bruised and bloody, after getting my bearings back, I continued...slower. Mile 80ish I wrecked again (downhill single-track). A buddy helped untangle me from my bike. Ended up with two broken bones in my hand and some nice bruises, but I still managed to finish thanks to holding my bar end with my thumb and index-finger. During the race and immediately following, I told myself I am never doing this one again. A few days later, I am thinking maybe...
    Wrote more about my experience (with a pic or two) in the blog below.
    I no longer deserve a signature.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Does anyone have any pictures of these ridiculous climbs? The first conga line, the rock steps, etc? I would really love some pics of the SM100 climbs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    The conga line hills made me feel like I had zero technical skills, some people rode some stuff that I couldn't. What I want to know is do the leaders in the race ride most of the congo line hills?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarzan_Mike View Post
    What I want to know is do the leaders in the race ride most of the congo line hills?
    Yes, the leaders are absolutely riding this stuff. I was far back from the leaders and many of the guys I rode most of it. In training I was able to clear all of it but one switchback, on race day I didn't clear two switchbacks and walked 25 yards or so.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidR1 View Post
    Yes, the leaders are absolutely riding this stuff. I was far back from the leaders and many of the guys I rode most of it. In training I was able to clear all of it but one switchback, on race day I didn't clear two switchbacks and walked 25 yards or so.
    That's seriously impressive... I'm in serious need of some climbing skills. DavidR1 what time did you do it in?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    I gotta ask about those bugs up top the final big climb (through the meadows)

No bites, but those little bas---ds only seemd to hover around my eyes and dance around my ears...just to irritate me

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    yes, i rode just about every part of the race, except for around mile 50 when we had to walk across the rock/stream crossing and then hike up those first steps. The 2nd big climb with the switchbacks was hard, but ryan fawley and i cleared just about the entire thing except for messing up 1 or two times. there were some other guys who didnt ride the whole thing, but everyone we passed gave us space. i rode the steep stuff in my 22/32 and sometimes 22/34. here is a writeup from my team:

Two top 20 finishes at the 2011 Shenandoah Mountain 100! | DCMTB

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    DCMTB! Nice job and very well represented. It seemed like you guys where everywhere out there.

The venue was dialed in tight and the course great as always. I think Chris needs to start these things off with a ceremonial Tightening-of-the-Bottle-Cage before the start though.

A top ten finisher told me he dabbed on one of the switchbacks up Lynn. So yeah that thing is being ridden and raced up.

I had a fantastic ride and good times also, even with it being a return after a 3 year hiatus. My most interesting stat is that my average RPM was 61. I ran a 35/20 on a 29er and had no computer.
    From this information can any of you tell me my time?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks, my team-mate Mike and I had a really great race. We had 13 DCMTB members start the race, which is really cool!
    Nice math problem. How did you know you avg 61RPM if you didnt have a computer?
    Anyways, from Sheldon Brown's website,
    For 29 inch (nominal) tire with Custom Sprocket(s) Cassette of 35/20 gear ratio; you develop 4meters/revolution.
    The race was 97 miles, or 156,000m.
    156,000m*(1 rev/4m) * (1 min/61 rev) * (1 hr/60) min= 10.6 hrs or 10 hrs 36 min.
    This assumes that the avg RPM you provided took into account coasting, which normally most computers do not (unless you select this option in a garmin edge 800). So assuming a costing time of 5%, you probably finished in around 10 hrs. Nice job!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    this was mine and my wife's first 100 miler and it was a great event. Weather was great, aid stations were perfect... the only black cloud was my lost gopro camera that broke off it's mount on the descent down to Briley (sp?) pond at aid #4. I left my info with aid 4 workers.
    What's maddening is that it was actually recovered and brought back to camp well before my finish. When I finally crawled across the line at 12 hours and change, I completely forgot to follow up with the volunteers and left for the long trip home. It sat out on the picnic table and someone must have helped themselves to it because it didn't make it to the race directors trailer after clean-up. It's my own fault for not following up but it is frustrating that the gopro 'handlebar' mount couldn't stand up to the bouncing of the descents sheered off from the trauma. I'm going to hit up Gopro and see if they're sympathetic... it is a great camera that has caught some great footage.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Very close to the time, but leave out the big assumption. I heard the course was 99 miles and I probably spent 10 minutes for stops. Skidding during braking is negligible. This makes my average RPM very close to 61.7, which still really isn't very interesting.