Shenanadoah 100- Mtbr.com

Thread: Shenanadoah 100

mtbr member

Shenanadoah 100

I am looking to try a century MTB race this year but I can't decide when, where, why or how. I am recently new to endurance racing. I completed the Assault on Mount Mitchell last year and this year my partner and I were able to get 22/54 racers at the Pisgah Mountain Bike Adventure Race. This race was 68.5 miles and tons of climbing (est. ~10,000 - 15,000 feet). So I figure if I can pedal 30 more miles I am in the club right? So I am wondering if Shenanadoah is feasible for me this year. I am signed up for solo'ing the Cowbell 12 hour race in Charlotte and I will be racing the Assault again this year. So I will use those toward's training efforts for completing the 100. So any opinions on the Shenanadoah? Is most everything rideable? I am not a great technical rider but have been known to make over a root before. . . any other 100's around that time frame that people would suggest? Don't go foolin me and saying the E100 either. . . I know better.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I thought the SM100 was way harder than the ORAMM and the PMBAR, FWIW. But, still, that's no reason not to try it. Train for it and go for it!

BTW - you need techical skills to ride the SM100. If you don't have em, there will be a fair amount that is not rideable.
    Namrita K. O'Dea, MS, RD
    Topeak-Ergon
    Blog
    55nine Performance

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by extrmtao
    Don't go foolin me and saying the E100 either. . . I know better.
    Just when I was ready with my smart-ass answer.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

paintbucket
    Aside from Shenandoah, the other two established east coast dirt centuries I know of are the Wild 100 on August 12 and the Wilderness 101 on July 29. I'm not sure I can make any of the three this year, but from what I hear Shenandoah is the "easiest" of the lot. I was primed and registered for Shenandoah last year, but post-hurricane gas availability and prices kept me home.

http://www.mtntouring.com/mountain/h.../w101_body.htm

http://www.ertc.com/Wild100.cfm

Edit: Oops. The Wild100 is 100k.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

Category Winner
    Anyways, you know my real opinion on this matter. Of course you can do it. You can do anything.

I believe I can fly
    I believe I can touch the sky.....
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Wild 100 Kilometers

FWI - the Wild 100 is approximately 100 kilomters, so about 62 miles. I say approximately because you can make it much longer depending on the route you choose to ride (or by making naviagational errors, otherwise known as 'getting lost'). The race does not have a set route; instead, it has Check Points (a la an adventure race) and you need to figure out which trails/jeep roads/forest roads you want to take to get to each CP. You can even bushwack. Some roads are forbidden to be used (and they are watched). If you have decent navigational skills, the race is a lot of fun. As I recall, some of the fastest times the last year I raced it (2004) were from riders who chose longer jeep and forest roads over the the technical singletrack. They may have won, but they didn't have nearly as much fun as I did! There is some Sa-Weet single track in that area.

The Elk River folks do a great job with on the course with CPs/Aid Station and they put on a fab party afterwards. I highly recommend this race!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky
    Just when I was ready with my smart-ass answer.

Yah I pretty much reserved that comment for you Dicky. . .

I also know that it is "mind over matter. . . if you don't mind it doesn't matter." More of what I am wondering is how technical are the technical sections?

How many sections did you have to walk in previous years Namrita and Rich? I am all about trying to get my first hundie under my belt this year but I want to ride not hike.

Maybe I am just being paranoid. . . crap I will just sign over my soul to the devil and sign up.

Maybe I could get Sir bikes alot to go vid the entire course for me. HA!

Thanks for the replies.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I'm registered, so you are confirmed to beat at least one person. I might carry a bivy sack and lights, just to guarantee my caboose status.

Seriously, with those races under your belt and more than three months to seriously train, you can do this race. Register now, 'cause it will fill up.

Category Winner
    [QUOTE=extrmtao]
    How many sections did you have to walk in previous years Namrita and Rich? QUOTE]

I've never actually done the SM100.
    I have no plans to walk anything.

Like I said, I believe I can fly.....

(double-secret training in full effect)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

mtbr member
    "Like I said, I believe I can fly.....

(double-secret training in full effect)"

Man you are getting better all the time. . . Apparently you have taken the step from SS to NS (no speed). Or would that be all speed with one gear or . . .I've gone crosseyed.

Alright well I guess I will sign up and use my new double secret weapon to draft off you. . .

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I had to walk a good amount of one long singletrack climb (Lynn or Linn trail, something like that..it comes fairly early in the race, maybe 15-20 miles in?)

I also consider myself to have decent descending skills, but there were a few (okay, maybe just one i can think off right now) short steep, rutted, loose, and very rocky sections I decided to walk on the descents too. Let me repeat, steep, rutted, loose, and very rocky

That being said, I've never made it past mile 65 of this course. The first year I did it (2 years ago) I was a total noob to riding and had no business going up there for this race. I had never even ridden 75 miles on my road bike..DUH. Last year I had a mechanical. I'm going to sit it out this year and hope I have better luck next year!

I did ORAMM for the first time last year and it was easier than the 65 miles of Shenandoah 100 that I did ride, in my opinion.
    Namrita K. O'Dea, MS, RD
    Topeak-Ergon
    Blog
    55nine Performance

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info Namrita. I am going to give it a go and see what happens. Too bad you won't be there this year.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by extrmtao
    Thanks for the info Namrita. I am going to give it a go and see what happens. Too bad you won't be there this year.
    awesome!

have fun, and good luck! oh, and i'll see you at the cowbell.
    Namrita K. O'Dea, MS, RD
    Topeak-Ergon
    Blog
    55nine Performance

formerly Giantxc
    I've done the SM100 4 times and the W101 once and say go for it. Of the two, I found the W101 to be a bit harder. The climbs are shorter, but there are more of them and they are steeper. In the W101, the most technical sections are very challenging, where as there is nothing extremely technical in the SM100, but enough challenge through out to keep you from getting bored.

Either way, Chris Scott at Mountain Touring puts on a great event and the trails are some of the best VA and PA have to offer. If you don't have plans for memorial day you might want to come up to the Stokesville campground, home of the SM100, where, through IMBA, they are sponsoring a Mountain Bike Festival, with scheduled rides on many sections of the course. For more see: http://go.imba.com/site/R?i=yvC6oCObi29hzupZrdoFNQ..

I really want to do ORAMM one of these days. Last year I planned a vacation to Pisgah just before it and really enjoyed the trails. Maybe next year.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Interesting comparisions... I rode and finished the SM100 in 2003 and the Wilderness 101 in 2004. My feeling is that the SM100 is harder. In the 101 the first 40 miles are pretty fast and relatively easy because there isn't much singletrack. In the SM100 you have singletrack on the way down from the first big climb. Technically I didn't think they were much different. There is one climb in the SM100 that many people walked, especially near the top (mentioned previously in this tread). You should be comfortable riding rocky downhills. It's generally not steep, though I do remember some steeper parts in the 101 where some people were walking.

Anway, you have way more experience than I did when I tried it, so go for it.

mtbr member
    I agree with MrXC, nothing too technical, just good old mountain biking. I finished last year and plan to be back this year. Of the 6 major climbs, 4 of them are on forest service roads, 2 of them on singletrack. The second climb (first singletrack) up Wolfe Ridge is the one that kicks everyones ass, including mine. Be prepared for looooooong sustained climbs, extremely fast swoopy singletrack downhills, and some more sketchy (watch yourself) rocky downhills. This is a really good course for a hardtail, or a XC oriented full-suspension bike, as there are also paved sections between each mountain where you will want optimum pedaling efficiency.
    Last edited by mtnpat; 05-22-2006 at 10:42 AM.

mtbr member

Thanks

Thanks for all the positive feedback. I officially registered today so no going back now. Hopefully I will have a chance to put some faces to screen names.

Ride on.

formerly Giantxc

Wolfe Ridge

Quote Originally Posted by mtnpat
    I The second climb (first singletrack) up Wolfe Ridge is the one that kicks everyones ass, including mine.
    Its the second single track climb (before Brailey's pond) that always kills me. It's steep, pretty late in the race, narrow, off-camber and loose. It's where I always start to loose it mentally.

The secret to the Wolfe Ridge climb is getting out fast. Last year I started out much faster than I ever had before (I had lots of confidence after a PR W101 time) and almost cleared the whole thing (the exception being the very top where it gets a bit more techical and there is that one little steep bit). If you start out too slow you'll get caught behind the many people who decide to just hike it. Of course, I also didn't drink enough fluids, was massively dehydrated at checkpoint 5 (mile 75) and had to drop out.

Also, ever year Chris somehow arranges for a mad swarm of bees to attack everyone hiking up Wolfe Ridge at about the half way mark. If you get there early enough they haven't been sufficiently upset to attack!

Man, I can't wait to get to the Stokesville Campground Friday Night!

Mike

853+29+1x24=Fun
    I went up Timber Ridge and came down Wolf Ridge this past weekend. Riding down was a blast. I hate the thought of going up it

mtbr member
    I know for a fact there is no way I could find the energy to ride up some of those singletrack climbs. I've ridden most of the singletrack out there and am amazed that people manage to ride all the way up some of those trails. I get worn out just hiking it. I'm hoping to do the SM100 this year....will get a better feeling for my chances of finishing it after this weekends camping trip.

Jun 2006

Shenandoah Mountain 100

Well after riding with the JMU Cycling Club for 2 years, I have finally been convinced that my first century will be a mountain bike race. Honestly enough, My longest road bike ride is only 55 miles from the shenandoah bike company to the top of reddish knob and back in the middle of february alone. My longest mountain bike ride is 38 miles during the Super bowl ride up reddish knob at 9am in 2006. I just finished a full season of Cat C collegiate racing and graduated and started racing in NOVA with evolution cycling in some Cat 5 races.

My distance training has not been too grueling lately but I believe by september I will have enough power to finish the SM100. I will give it my best try if not. I am hoping I will be finished building my Trek Fuel 95 by then so my specialized rockhopper comp doesn't kill my groin after 50 miles.

Do you believe I will have enough power to finish the race under 15 hours by just training for criterium races and doing weekday races at wakefield park with the potomac pedalers team?

Members who have read this thread: 0