mtbr member
    Jan 2004

santa cruz superlight

anyone race on these?thoughts thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Three years ago I did 4 of the NUE 100 milers on a superlight. I loved that bike, especially after I got the shock "pushed." Last year I sold it to by a steel 29er hardtail and it isn't near as much fun as the superlight. I actually was gonna buy one this fall but the shop I race for stopped carrying them. Get one and you wont regret it!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Been riding and racing Superlights since 2000, XC and Marathons. Current edition is a 2009, with a 2006 Fox RLC. Both ends have been pushed. I throw on a 2010 Fox rl remote for races. Riding 2.4 RRon's evo. Feels like my YZ 125 from high school on the downhills. Climbs like a goat. With both shocks pushed and years of dialing fit, it handles like a dream. Last race build for marathon series was 23lbs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

pushed

nice setup ignorance but what do you mean when you say pushed and any set up suggestions

Adventure Mapper
    Isnt there also a 29er version coming/just came out?
    Pushed means its been sent to PUSH Industries for revalving.
    My YouTube channel for MTB content:
    http://youtube.com/RideAlongside

RideAlongside

NedwannaB

Correct

Quote Originally Posted by forgiven_nick View Post
    Isnt there also a 29er version coming/just came out?
    Pushed means its been sent to PUSH Industries for revalving.
    On both accounts.
    And it appears they are less expensive then my Spearfish I put together.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I have raced Superlights for 10 years and they are simple, solid workhorse bikes...I have never broken one and I certainly can't say that for my carbon machines.....

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I have a 2002 which I race. I also have a PUSHED fork and shock, great race bike: efficient pedaler, climbs and descends well, simple, light, bulletproof.

NedwannaB

Your '09

Quote Originally Posted by santacruzflyer View Post
    Been riding and racing Superlights since 2000, XC and Marathons. Current edition is a 2009, with a 2006 Fox RLC. Both ends have been pushed. I throw on a 2010 Fox rl remote for races. Riding 2.4 RRon's evo. Feels like my YZ 125 from high school on the downhills. Climbs like a goat. With both shocks pushed and years of dialing fit, it handles like a dream. Last race build for marathon series was 23lbs.
    What travel fork(s) and which shock do you run on this version frame?

Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    100 mm and RP23 with enduro bearings at the pivots

NedwannaB

Cool thanks

Quote Originally Posted by santacruzflyer View Post
    100 mm and RP23 with enduro bearings at the pivots
    I've been thinking about picking up a frame. I think they come with the RL. I have a 100 RL w/remote handlebar poplock plus a 130 RLC I could drop down to 120 or whatever since the newer versios seems to run from 100-120 forks.

jms
    mtbr member

It's a nice bike.

Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    On both accounts.
    And it appears they are less expensive then my Spearfish I put together.
    I've seen the new 29er version - friend that works @ SCB had a pre-production bike. I was impressed, the bike just looks proportionally "right" to me. If I was in the market for a new frame, I'd consider one for myself.

If you're relatively light, it could be a good choice. The swing arm length and lack of triangulation [single pivot] apparently makes the rear a bit flexible for more "robust" riders.

If you're a bigger, heavier rider, look at the 2012 Titus Rockstar, it's in the same price range as the new Superlight and Spearfish, and has a really well executed suspension design.
    My Favorite Peeps:

NedwannaB

Relatively light, like you!....

Quote Originally Posted by jms View Post
    I've seen the new 29er version - friend that works @ SCB had a pre-production bike. I was impressed, the bike just looks proportionally "right" to me. If I was in the market for a new frame, I'd consider one for myself.

If you're relatively light, it could be a good choice. The swing arm length and lack of triangulation [single pivot] apparently makes the rear a bit flexible for more "robust" riders.

If you're a bigger, heavier rider, look at the 2012 Titus Rockstar, it's in the same price range as the new Superlight and Spearfish, and has a really well executed suspension design.
    But a little more vertically challanged @ 5'-6.5"......

So you may/maynot know, and doesn't really matter, but I've been coerced into the 650B craze for awhile now and the SC SL was the original frame I thought about getting for a 26" fs conversion. I put the wheelsets on a couple ht's I had to start out. Then figured I'd jump to a longer travel fs to gap a different ride from the ht and picked up a KHS 555 140mm fsr travel frame. Kinda worked, kinda didn't, short wb and tall bb etc. In hindsight maybe a medium would have worked a little better. Whatever. All good. I'm sure it will be easy to sell the 650 compatible light AM frame.

In the meantime thru all this tinkering, I was tempted by the 29r koolaid and I picked up a Kona Kula 2-9r ht frame and rode that in various configurations, triple, SS, 1x9 etc. Now currently back to where it was originally intended, SS.

Then I got a wild hare to get the Spearfish. Have that built up pretty well but thinking I can get the SL setup pretty light with the parts and tweener size wheelset to work better for me. XTR drivetrain, XO disc, either of the Fox Float forks, XD-Lite/DT 240 wheelset, Quasi Moto/Racing Ralph tires etc. Think that's where I'm headed.

Edit-I have to apologize ahead of time to bnelson for the hijack and only hope there's some useful info gained within my rambling tangent.
    Last edited by JMac47; 03-14-2012 at 06:33 PM. Reason: typo

jms
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    But a little more vertically challanged @ 5'-6.5"
    That's a toughy Jeff. I don't know you beyond your posts. As much as I like 29er's [they make sense for me @ 6'2''], I gotta say the 650B's are probably the PERFECT wheel size for you.

BB height is really the big thing using either a 26 or 29in. frames with the 650's. From what I've read, the only frame not designed @ those wheels that adapts well to them is the Ibis Mojo. The Superlight 29er had LONG chainstays.

Considering what you've got invested in the wheels and parts, I'd talk with Ventana or Siren about a FS [Ventana] or Siren Song [softail]. Sherwood [Ventana] builds a really nice 650, he's got great customer service, and you'll have the frame well ahead of the Whiskey, so you'd have time get it together and some saddle time with it before the race. LOL, I LOVE spending other people's money!

My two cents anyway. Apologies to the OP for contributing to the hijack.
    My Favorite Peeps:

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    bnelson: check your messages...
    "Whether it be an abrasion or a mental breakdown, everyone suffers in one way or another." ORAMM Disclaimer

NedwannaB

Dude.....

Quote Originally Posted by jms View Post

Sherwood [Ventana] builds a really nice 650, he's got great customer service, and you'll have the frame well ahead of the Whiskey, so you'd have time get it together and some saddle time with it before the race. LOL, I LOVE spending other people's money!
    Thaaaaaaaanks. You just HAD to go and mention the "V" word didn't yah!

Just so happens I rode one (5.5") last summer and I've been monitoring a current Bastardo build in the in another forum. Curiosity got the better of me so I contacted them. Prompt response from CS too. Guess what? Yep, they have one left (in my color at that) ready to ship with 4" rockers if I'm so inclined.

Quite abit over my SL budget though, care to help a fellow fossil and contribute to the cause? I kid.

Will be contacting them again in morning to finalize and see if the K-RP23 shock comes on it.

Members who have read this thread: 1