Saddle sore, chamois cream- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Saddle sore, chamois cream

I'm 53, been riding/racing bikes regularly for 35 years, running the same model saddle for the last few years but suddenly become susceptible to saddle sores on both sides. I once bought chamois cream many years ago but don't remember using it. I'm pretty good about getting out of my shorts and wiping down with a baby wipe pronto.

Starts out as rawness or rash and then turns into a lump, for the curious. I assume my old skin just isn't up for the constant rubbing.

What are the older, big mileage riders doing to prevent saddle sores? Specifically, what chamois cream for all day rides?

mtbr member
    Well I'm not really an endurance guy but I am pretty ancient. I'm susceptible to saddle issues too and I won't even go for a short ride without chamois cream anymore.

I've tried several brands and they all seem good but using chamois butt'r lately just because it's available locally. Apply liberally, makes a big difference for me.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Wanna ride bikes?
    I use Chamois Butt'r. I've also used Gooch Guard and liked it, but I ride a lot and use a lot of chamois cream so Chamois Butt'r is cheaper by volume and works great.

For already established saddle sores I've read that Aquaphor is great at clearing up that kind of thing.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    I use Chamois Butt'r. I've also used Gooch Guard and liked it, but I ride a lot and use a lot of chamois cream so Chamois Butt'r is cheaper by volume and works great.
    Anything more than 25-30 miles or so and I slather that stuff on. Works good.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Okole Stuff for 100 milers.
    Whining is not a strategy.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  28.9 KB

"These things are very fancy commuter bikes or really bad dirt bikes, but they are not mountain bikes." - J. Mac

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I would find the root cause of the problem. Itís not a lack of lubricant, have you made any changes to your bike, bike fit, is your chamois wore out? Look at these things first...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    +whatever for possible "worn out chamois" but my fitter said among the most common causes is the saddle being too high. Perhaps drop it a few mm?

soon to be 52 here. I don't use chamois creme for stuff less than ~3hrs but my personal fave is Morgan Blue solid. very waxy and resilient. GREAT for wet riding and/or a day when you'll sweat your a$$ off. Often have to wash the chamois twice to get the stuff out. Can be hard to find though.

good luck!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbell View Post
    I would find the root cause of the problem. Itís not a lack of lubricant, have you made any changes to your bike, bike fit, is your chamois wore out? Look at these things first...

I agree that bike fit, equipment, clothing etc. are important but sometimes the problem is just lack of lubricant. It was in my case anyway, problem is now solved.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    Okole Stuff for 100 milers.
    Came to post this.

Tried almost everything out there over the last 2+ decades and Okole Stuff is the only one that works and lasts over 30 miles for me - hot & humid here and I sweat a LOT. Stuff like chamois buttr lasts like an hour for me.

mtbr member
    52 and logs many miles every year. Chamois Butt'r here, too, without any problems even after a 7-8 hour ride or race.
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

mtbr member
    I love the Assos cream, itís nearly odorless, good viscosity, and lasts through a 7-8 hour ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I am 65 and never had this issue on the mountain bike---did a 4 hour ride yesterday and needed a new lung but not this issue.

On the road bike on regular 40 mile rides but on my 2 week rides or a 100 mile day (hope never again) I use cream.

I wonder if your seat just needs replacing----they do not last forever

mtbr member
    Assos is my favorite, use Chamios Butter when I cant get locally, but for big days and important race days Assos.

mtbr member
    I have used chamy cream but sometimes it helps to rethink a problem.

Most of the time I ride without cream but more interestingly, without padded shorts. I found that if I ride often enough I don't need the padding and wearing looser shorts allows a bit of airflow which keeps me drier and cooler. It depends, I still occasionally wear padded bibs or shorts, but for the most part I find no padding and a bit of air is more comfortable.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    The only two things I can think of, would be a worn out chamois or that your bike fit changed. Meaning, your physiology changed and you might need to look into changing saddle angle or position, etc. A worn out saddle as suggested above could be possible, too.

I log lots of long miles (4-6 hr) and donít use chamois cream.

I have settled on Specialized expert and sl pro shorts. Minimal padding works well for me.

Best of luck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IdahoPotato View Post
    The only two things I can think of, would be a worn out chamois or that your bike fit changed. Meaning, your physiology changed and you might need to look into changing saddle angle or position, etc. A worn out saddle as suggested above could be possible, too.

I log lots of long miles (4-6 hr) and donít use chamois cream.

I have settled on Specialized expert and sl pro shorts. Minimal padding works well for me.

Best of luck.

Could be, or maybe a little chamois cream might clear the problem up.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    I am not an endurance racer, but I've had saddle sores a couple of times. I determined that my problem stemmed from the saddle shell just becoming too flexy, or even deformed some. Once from the road saddle, and once from the mtb saddle. Seems I can only get a couple of years max out of most saddles, and even less if I ride a lot. I am 220# though. I've been able to avoid getting them bad ever since, by just swapping my saddle promptly, when it first starts.

I've always used Butt'r for every ride too.

NedwannaB
    I saw there was an attachment and like a train wreck I just had to see it although I cringed clicking on this thread....Yikes! Thank goodness it was a G rated pic. 😀
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Assos.

Threaded
    Quote Originally Posted by GlazedHam View Post
    I'm 53, been riding/racing bikes regularly for 35 years, running the same model saddle for the last few years but suddenly become susceptible to saddle sores on both sides. I once bought chamois cream many years ago but don't remember using it. I'm pretty good about getting out of my shorts and wiping down with a baby wipe pronto.

Starts out as rawness or rash and then turns into a lump, for the curious. I assume my old skin just isn't up for the constant rubbing.

What are the older, big mileage riders doing to prevent saddle sores? Specifically, what chamois cream for all day rides?
    I used to do a lot of road riding and had experienced very regular saddle rash. It may not be the same for everyone but after I made a dietary change for other health-related issues I found no more problem down there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Had lots of issues with saddle sores even when applying Chamois Cream.

Switched to Enzoís Buttonhole cream and sores reduced by 90%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Threaded
    Quote Originally Posted by tgoods View Post
    Had lots of issues with saddle sores even when applying Chamois Cream.

Switched to Enzoís Buttonhole cream and sores reduced by 90%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I first read that as Butthole cream and was thinking "DAMN!"

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Maybe switch shorts brands each ride for a while?, a different shape and texture pad might help if you have 'hot spots' in your regular setup. I have some Soprasella Refresh, it's the only cream I've used, it seems to work fine too.
    skidding is the signature of the novice; learn how to use your brakes.

Rod
    mtbr member
    Worn out shorts and the saddle being too high causes these for me.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The problem has disappeared, at least for now. A little antibiotic ointment seems to have done the trick. I did pick up some Okole Stuff but I've been using it post ride thus far. Trying to keep the skin in shape between rides.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    DZ Nuts! Good stuff from a nice guy.
    It has tea tree oil which is a natural anti-bacterial.
    TTUB - Ventura County California

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BobBracket View Post
    It may not be the same for everyone but after I made a dietary change for other health-related issues I found no more problem down there.
    diet fixed your saddle sores? tell me more!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill View Post
    diet fixed your saddle sores? tell me more!
    More salad, less weight on his ass!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GlazedHam View Post
    The problem has disappeared, at least for now. A little antibiotic ointment seems to have done the trick. I did pick up some Okole Stuff but I've been using it post ride thus far. Trying to keep the skin in shape between rides.
    You know some times it can simply be a case of an infected spot that just needs a little extra care. Glad you are now pain free.

ejh
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I used to get a lot of saddle sores, chamois butt'r helped but didn't fully take care of it. The root cause are irritated hair follicles. so what I have done that has taken care of it was using nair on my bum, I know it sounds crazy but that and the chammie cream has worked wonders

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TTUB View Post
    DZ Nuts! Good stuff from a nice guy.
    It has tea tree oil which is a natural anti-bacterial.
    this is what I use, but only for long rides.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    OP here. I'm just back from 7 days of bikepacking using just 2 pairs of shorts and riding pretty much all day with zero showers or baths. No issues on the tissues so I believe it was fungal or bacterial in nature and I'm now cured.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    I have used chamy cream but sometimes it helps to rethink a problem.

Most of the time I ride without cream but more interestingly, without padded shorts. I found that if I ride often enough I don't need the padding and wearing looser shorts allows a bit of airflow which keeps me drier and cooler. It depends, I still occasionally wear padded bibs or shorts, but for the most part I find no padding and a bit of air is more comfortable.
    Same here. I started riding again back in Sept and immediately broke out ol pearls I had from years ago, still in good shape. Riding buddy never wore a chamois and it got me thinking. After a few months back on the bike I started not wearing it, just some quality compression shorts, Under Armour in my case. I now find when I wear a chamois indoors on my Peloton bike (long sessions IN the saddle) it sort of bunches up and causes me more issues than just not wearing it. Anyway, I'm up to 3 hours plus without wearing one and actually prefer the feel of of not having the padding, like I can feel my sit bones in the exact spot they need to be vs wherever they end up, bunching up the chamois, etc.

mtbr member
    Ive reached a weird point where riding in regular choneys would be the same feeling as forgetting my gloves or helmet. I have to use a chamois these days. Not sure if I just have a weak, frail body or what but no chamois destroys my ass and jerseys leave me with bloody nips. Im going to try some of the options mentioned in this thread.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleSpeedSteven View Post
    Not sure if I just have a weak, frail body or what but no chamois destroys my ass and jerseys leave me with bloody nips. Im going to try some of the options mentioned in this thread.
    For endurance races I'll use chamois cream anywhere I experience friction. If it's a hot day especially (it's worse the more you sweat) I'll put it on my nipples to prevent them from getting raw, my neck where the straps from my pack rub, or anywhere else I might need it.

It's just anti-friction cream and it works pretty well. Put it anywhere you need it.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    my sores can almost 100% be linked to the wrong chamois and saddle combo paired with too much time in the saddle.

Unfortunately most all of my favorite kits are getting blown out.

One other thing that helps A LOT. Buy salisylic acid Pads and gel. Pads for cleaning after the ride if you change and go straight to eat or podium. Gell will help for existing bumps.

Staying Dry letting the area breathe helps. You might try wearing something that you can go commando in without drawing attention to yourself.

With all this said, like clockwork, I will wear a "90 minute" bib that is good for mountain biking out of the saddle on a 3 hour road ride right before a mountain biking vacation. I the walk a tight rope the entire trip. ARGGH!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    For endurance races I'll use chamois cream anywhere I experience friction. If it's a hot day especially (it's worse the more you sweat) I'll put it on my nipples to prevent them from getting raw, my neck where the straps from my pack rub, or anywhere else I might need it.

It's just anti-friction cream and it works pretty well. Put it anywhere you need it.
    I've tried a couple different products on the ol' nips. None worked unfortunately, 2 hours in I would be feeling it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I've tried a couple different products on the ol' nips. None worked unfortunately, 2 hours in I would be feeling it.
    Band-aids or some sort of tape - used to have Champion Systems kits many years back that'd just kill me then my tri-dork friends mentioned that as a solution from running.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    DZ Nuts is the best chamois cream I've ever used. If I have any saddle sore issues, I use a three step diagnostic... 1. worn out bib 2. worn out saddle 3. get a new fit on the bike Usually, a worn out bib is the culprit. Only once, on the road bike, did I ever get to step three. Usually, every 18-24 months my saddle gets worn out and I have to swap it out with a new saddle. I'm about to swap out the saddle on my XC bike very soon. Basically, riding on quality bibs and making sure the saddle isn't worn out has kept the saddle sores away. Epsom Salt Baths are the best way to get rid of em...

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt Disney's Frozen Head View Post
    Band-aids
    Yep.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Disney's Frozen Head View Post
    Band-aids or some sort of tape - used to have Champion Systems kits many years back that'd just kill me then my tri-dork friends mentioned that as a solution from running.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Yep.

The good fabric ones, not cheap plastic.
    "These things are very fancy commuter bikes or really bad dirt bikes, but they are not mountain bikes." - J. Mac