Double-metric mtb man

Saddle question for the long haulers :)

Hey gang,

I'm not a racer, but I do the long haul on the mtb on a regular basis (numerous 1/2 Centuries, frequent k100's, occasional Centuries and even a k200). After many 1000's of km's my faithful WTB Lazer V Race has given up the ghost and I'm in the market for a new saddle.

Anyone had experience they can share with saddles like the Fizik Aliante XM Gamma or the Cobb Drt Plus? WTB doesn't make the Laser V Race anymore. I've had a chance to try the Fizik (seemed pretty good), but both Fizik and Cobb are brands I've not had much experience with so I have no ideal how they hold up or how they do on long rides (i.e. 6+ hrs).

Other suggestions welcome....but FYI I tend to prefer middle width / 140mm class saddles (yeah, I know the Cobb is a bit narrower, but it's not a 120 mm class saddle). Already tried the Spesh offerings (i.e. Henge) and they don't work for me.

Thanks
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member

mtbr member

Koobi

I had a Fizik, it was fine until I did the Lumberjack and it killed me, bought a Koobi and never looked back. I bought the PRS Alpha model and my butt has thanked me ever since!

It ain't easy being Green

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    the speed-v is the cheaper cousin of the laser-v i believe.

it is the bestest cheapest most comfotable saddle i have found for my bits. and it is perfect because i destroy them pretty frequently and can always find a new OEM take off for 30 bucks or less. i believe my last two were under 20 bucks.

not light though but if there is one place i don't care about weight it is my saddle.

the pure-v also has a similar shape but with slightly less padding (more racer-ish?) i believe those can be found with lighter rails for more $$$ if you need light. i have one and also find it comfy but not for as long. good XC, weekend ride saddle for me but for the real long stuff i like a speed-v.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The Selle SMP saddles are another one to look at. I run the Glider, which is one of their wider saddles, on all my bikes and love it (except for the price)

mtbr member
    This is just an observation on my part, but saddle/sitting stuff is unanswerable. It is one of those things that is more dependent on the individual than any other aspect of cycling. Road, commute, MTB... doesn't matter.
    I am not saying that it is not a discussable topic by any means, and there are often replies that help open ones eyes to certain aspects, but I don't think I have ever seen a thread about saddles where two people agree on the same thing.
    Not a hack or slam, but just an observation.
    Cripes, i am in the same situation right now. i need a new saddle and don't even know where to begin...

Double-metric mtb man
    Charley, I do hear you...

The reason for the post is to get some more ideas and to check the long term durability. My Lazer V was good...but if I'm in the price range anyway, I'll check my options before I lay down the cash. I'm fortunate to have a variety of stores available to try out saddles at...some more Tri / Road oriented (had the Cobb), some higher end mtb (had the Fizik) and the "normal shops" (have the wtb's, specialized etc.)

I know everyone's butt is different, but if folks have ridden the same and prefer something else, I think it is worth exploring to see if it would also work for me

Btw: I tried the Cobb and it was pretty good....but I found it a little narrow and lacking a bit of "flare" to help body english the big bike around...I tended to have my legs slide on it as it is pretty much a straight line from nose to rear. If I was looking for a saddle for my 'cross bike, it'd be the winner, but for the AM/FR bike, it gets a pass.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I got the Cobb Plus DRT after reading the MBA article. It's a superb saddle, and the best thing I can say is that I never notice it. No issues with my seat bones, and no issues with the neither regains. Best part is there is a 180 day return policy if you don't like the saddle. Its not cheap, but good quality never is initially cheap, but is always cheaper in the long run.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Selle Italia SLR for me. Did a 24hr race on it and didnīt bother me one bit, and it's only 135g!!
    Last edited by GS833; 12-20-2011 at 04:36 AM.

mtbr member
    I put on a Selle An-Atomica Titanico about two months ago. Most comfortable saddle I've every owned, but not lightweight.

Woody

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I switched last year to a fizik gobi and i have loved it. I usually rode a selle italia on both my rode and mt bike but now have switch to fizik on mt and will probably be switching over to a fizik on the road in the near future.

mtbr member
    It might help OP. or anyone else in future reading this to list (along with saddle recommendations) users height,weight,
    I found my saddle by reading threads like this looking for patterns with certain "body types" .
    Make a short-list,then go out and demo from local bike shops or borrow from friends.
    Don't forget Craig's list!

Fizik arione works great for me.
    5'11". 160lbs.

I was always the guy asking everyone around me @50mi. "does your ass hurt?" Not anymore
    .....the end