Rolling

"Ride the Divide"

If you have Netflix, and you wanna see it, it's watch instant....
    Last edited by lidarman; 12-07-2011 at 10:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Yeah, I bought the DVD about a month ago. I understand that it was only one camera for the whole race but I wish that they covered the other racers, too. Worth watching!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman View Post
    If you have Netflix, and you wanna see it, it's watch instant....
    Interesting. I ordered it from Netflix a few months ago and when the disk arrived it was so warped I didn't dare put it in the DVD player. I reported the problem, sent the disc back, and got a notification that it was "no longer available" from Netflix. Guess I'll try again. Thanks for the heads-up.
    I drank the 29er koolaid- turns out it was POWERade

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Just found it on instant! Had to wait for the kids to go to bed though... now I want to ride long.

mtbr member
    Just watched, what a race cold weather, long distance, finding food along the way, finding shelter, survival, not just a race it is passion about living.

mtbr member
    Saw it this weekend and I loved it. No price, no fees, I really like that, and only a few riders. It's not really a race, it's an experience. This year there were a lot more people doing it and it was more of a race, but still very cool.

hispanic mechanic
    My wife and I just watched it on Sunday. Great film. Now she's talking about touring the Great Divide Route!
    Mission accomplished...

Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Saw it for the first time a few days ago on Netflix. Loved it! Cool story, interesting characters, great locations and a truly epic accomplishment.

Joe
    --
    Joe Partridge

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    It looks insane but interesting. I don't think I could do 100+ miles a day without some days off. I just don't think my body would handle it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I dont think that my body could handle that either but my brain would be the one to suffer the most. I would be like that one guy that was lonely as heck asking about the other racer just to have some companionship. It would be ideal if my family would meet me at a given point ahead of me so that I could have a goal AND see them to avoid missing them.

Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    It looks insane but interesting. I don't think I could do 100+ miles a day without some days off. I just don't think my body would handle it.
    I took a day off to nurse some wicked saddle sores. Don't feel bad!

www.bigrobracing.co.uk
    Quote Originally Posted by LowOnO2 View Post
    I dont think that my body could handle that either but my brain would be the one to suffer the most. I would be like that one guy that was lonely as heck asking about the other racer just to have some companionship. It would be ideal if my family would meet me at a given point ahead of me so that I could have a goal AND see them to avoid missing them.
    That's against the rules RULES PAGE HERE

mtbr member
    I love that movie. I would love to do that ride but not at race pace. Maybe someday when I win the lottery.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Thanks for the reminder of the movie. Very well done movie considering the logistics. I felt inspired but not the mrs. I just need to get my hand back in shape so I can get back in the saddle.

Cheers
    Mike

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The movie totally got me pumped. June 8 2012 + 5 weeks in on my calendar. Gear picked out, bike in rehab, all I need now is a hill for training. jim

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    It looks cool but gravel road riding would get old quick--even in the beauty of the ride. It would be a cool accomplishment.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    I liked the movie, truly one of the toughest rides out there.

... plenty will probably disagree with me, but I dunno if I agree with Mary Collier being the first woman to finish racing the Tour Divide. She quit a half dozen times and spent a couple days riding around with the film crew. Still a super impressive ride, but was she racing? Nah.

mtbr member
    Awesome movie. Mary C. finished that race without a doubt, especially with all the health issues she had. This isn't a normal race, its finishing the route that counts.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Watched it yesterday. Motivating!

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by The Boz View Post
    Awesome movie. Mary C. finished that race without a doubt, especially with all the health issues she had. This isn't a normal race, its finishing the route that counts.
    If thats the case, she's not the first, or second, or?? to finish the route...

Its an impressive ride that I couldn't personally succeed in... I just question the claim that she's "first" woman to finish that race.

You shouldn't get a pass for health issues because you're a girl.

mtbr member
    GO WATCH IT! Very moving and inspirational cycling film. Makes you want to go out on a long ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    In the movie, there didn't seem to be much that couldn't be done on a cross bike, which would likely be faster.

Is anyone familiar with more of the course and if a cross bike would be a better choice, or if one is even allowed. I ask because I was in a local event, 120 miles, that had a lot of similar looking terrain (fire roads, double track, etc) and I used an mtb and got smoked by the cross crowd.

just curious...

Team Velveeta™

Allowed I think, wouldn't be my choice if I did it.

Quote Originally Posted by ridgeline View Post
    In the movie, there didn't seem to be much that couldn't be done on a cross bike, which would likely be faster.

Is anyone familiar with more of the course and if a cross bike would be a better choice, or if one is even allowed. I ask because I was in a local event, 120 miles, that had a lot of similar looking terrain (fire roads, double track, etc) and I used an mtb and got smoked by the cross crowd.

just curious...
    I think it's allowed, AFAIK it is no violation of the rules to do it on a time trial bike if it works for you. Recumbant, high-wheeler, full-on DH bike... just no motors, other than you.

I haven't done it, just a very interested spectator for many years. I'll let one of the veterans comment on whether a 'cross bike would be a good idea.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ridgeline View Post

just curious...
    I'm guessing you didn't see the rougher areas of the trip for the simple reason the camera men couldn't get their trucks out to them?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    I haven't done it, just a very interested spectator for many years. I'll let one of the veterans comment on whether a 'cross bike would be a good idea.
    Dave Nice would presumably be the best person to weigh in on this, having attempted the route on both. I believe I read something someplace where he admitted that trying the race on a cross bike was a bad idea.

A Salsa Fargo worked well for me last year, but I can't imagine wanting to deviate any further from the 'standard' Tour Divide HT 29er.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    The advantage of the speed gained by the narrower cross tyres is likely offset by the increased fatigue to your body and the more likely extra punctures.

I was perfectly happy with the de facto WTB Nanoraptors on my rigid 29er last year while racing the divide.
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

DFMBA.org
    I wonder, given the distance, pace, and need to carry less gear, if a SS would be a sensible option for this race? Anyhow, watching it was totally inspiring. Not sure about riding a Lefty 2700 miles, even though he won.

Sent from my mountain bike while crashing
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    someday that would be fun...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    bucket list

Leg Shaver
    Bucket list indeed. but every time I finish this movie I think it could have been better.

an enduro moto with a camera guy for a few sections would have been an inexpensive idea to get more. Would of liked to have caught people cutting the course

and Wyoming was part of the race right? just checking

I keep rereading the rules to understand Matt stop at Levi's bros Butte Bike shop and how that wasn't assist.

good edit given the rather redundant clips however. I want in.
    Why are there so many threads about cheap ass bikes?

It's carbon dontcha know.
    I don't remember what Matt does in the film, but when I raced through Butte last year Rob who owns it (Levi's brother) serviced my drivetrain with such attention that it looked like new afterwards.

Top man.
    Top bike shop.

The film only focused on a few of the riders that year, they were so strung out after a few days that a moto wouldn't have made much difference.
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

mtbr member

... and if we just ... Adult's only

Quote Originally Posted by wvucyclist View Post
    Just found it on instant! Had to wait for the kids to go to bed though... .
    Yup, serious ADULT only stuff on there

Good stuff though. It's in my brain. I know it will happen. I'm just waiting for a reasonable amount of experience and miles on my legs to feel like I can do it. The extra of M Lee describing the minimal gear he carries really resonates.
    Overland : Hayduke : Hightower LT : Delirium : Piolet