Ride da mOOn Moderator

Idea! Post your longest ride/race mileage in a 24 hour period

Post'em up...

... add a your story and pics also!

Ergon Bike
    2002 24 Hours of 9-Mile, which also happened to be my first 24 hr solo effort. Completed 17 laps.....which equated to like 260 miles. This was pre-Ergon grip technology

Jeff K
    Ergon USA
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your longest ride/race mileage in a 24 hour period-screen-shot-2011-12-09-11.39.30-am.jpg  

Last edited by ERGON; 12-09-2011 at 11:48 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ERGON View Post
    2002 24 Hours of 9-Mile, which also happened to be my first 24 hr solo effort. Completed 17 laps.....which equated to like 260 miles. This was pre-Ergon grip technology

Jeff K
    Ergon USA
    Nice, no shame in finishing 2nd to the legend that is Tinker, especially on your first attempt. I did my first 24 Hour Solo this summer at Nine Mile also. The race is now known as Wausau24. I think I did about 180 miles. Conditions were terrible with two major thunderstorms over the 24 hour period.

No. Just No.
    24 Hours of Summer Solstice in Albion Hills, Ontario, Canada 2007 (about 2,200 riders each year!)

Had a solid event with 23 laps completed, at 17.5km per lap which works out to about 250 miles total with approx. 1000' of total elevation gain per lap composed of a number smaller climbs of 50'-150' gain.

That was good enough to net me the top spot un the <40 category (I've since moved into the old guys field) but Mark Hendershot making the trip up from Michigan hauled down the same 23 laps rolling in over an hour earlier than me in the >40 category.

I wasn't that pleased about having to roll out for my 23rd lap, and it turns out 2nd place couldn't make his 23rd, but I wasn't 100% positive about it at the time. I figured that after that much effort I would nail it down instead of waiting to see how long it would take 2nd to check in his 22nd lap, then risk a 1 lap drag race from a standing start for all the marbles.

Couple of pics;
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your longest ride/race mileage in a 24 hour period-ah_2007_start.jpg  

Post your longest ride/race mileage in a 24 hour period-ah2005logs.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    279 miles at the 24 Solo in Spokane this year on a singlespeed hardtail. The event was a lot of fun and I plan on doing it again next year on a rigid singlespeed, just to change things up.

Here's a shot with my two sons (6yrs old and 7yrs old) and my buddy Scott who also raced singlespeed hardtail.

Scott punched out the same mileage as I did. He beat me. 1st place always makes him look taller, it's the only time he can mock me from a higher vantage point, the rest of the time I tease him about his child like size and his small child's bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DekerfTeamST View Post
    Nice, no shame in finishing 2nd to the legend that is Tinker, especially on your first attempt. I did my first 24 Hour Solo this summer at Nine Mile also. The race is now known as Wausau24. I think I did about 180 miles. Conditions were terrible with two major thunderstorms over the 24 hour period.
    I also was there that was my worst race ever, I went down on the first lap I ended up 10th place ,never any shame being in the top 10 at a mud fest,and having a lap taken away.

DekerfTeam,that was a damm good way to start in this 24hr racing thing and at 180miles you where what place? 6,7.8th and you also most likely lost a lap. so good job and are you going back!

The solo leaders 1 & 2 where across the line and then they stop the race,that sucks for them guys that where in 3rd & 4th and only 5min back, I was at mile marker 8 and had to ride back to a pit that was out in the lighting anyways! they should have stoped it at the big loud truck. all "N" all it was fun!.

24 hours of Boyne MI. was my best 2010.at about 200miles 1st place after the 19th lap the 2nd place racer was there at the finsh line to shake my hand he finally quit.

Man!, how many miles per lap was 9mile back in 02 the most I have ever done is about 11miles per lap.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Seems like Spokane is good for high miles; I did 260 or 270 there in 2008 to win the singlespeed class.

I did 305 miles in Trans Iowa v1, but technically that was 27 hours not 24.
    --
    Joe Partridge

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Jitsu View Post
    Seems like Spokane is good for high miles; I did 260 or 270 there in 2008 to win the singlespeed class.

I did 305 miles in Trans Iowa v1, but technically that was 27 hours not 24.
    Nicely done.

Think about doing it again in 2012, Scott and I will be there and I'd like to break the 300 mile barrier.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I've thought about going back, but I don't find the course to be all that interesting. In fact, I ended up riding it more like a gravel road race than a MTB race.

Still, it might be fun to give it another go. Not this year; I'm going back to Iowa!

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by staylor View Post
    Nicely done.

Think about doing it again in 2012, Scott and I will be there and I'd like to break the 300 mile barrier.
    --
    Joe Partridge

Now broadcasting from CO
    Not quite as high, but 121 mi at the 24 Hours of Seven Springs (came out to 11 11 mi laps) to take second place back in 2009. In my defense, Seven Springs has a ton of climbing and typical Pennsylvania rocky singletrack so it's not an all out hammerfest.
    Brought to you by rocks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Jitsu View Post
    I've thought about going back, but I don't find the course to be all that interesting. In fact, I ended up riding it more like a gravel road race than a MTB race.

Still, it might be fun to give it another go. Not this year; I'm going back to Iowa!

Joe
    Yeah the Spokane course isn't very intense but I really enjoyed the grassroots vibe and the easy trails, it made for a good intro to the season. We have loads of challenging/gnarly terrain where I live so the Spokane course with its almost Zen-like qualities made things interesting.

If you do change your mind and decide to show up be sure to plan on having a beer with us after the race. Good luck in Iowa!

Candlestick Maker
    ~165 miles at the 2009 18 Hours of Fruita. Story here:
    Monumentally Afflicted: 18 Hours of Fruita race report

Although in similar shape, I did less (~160 miles) at the 2010 24 Hours of Colorado Springs. Story here:
    Monumentally Afflicted: Boo...Yay!

The mileage difference per hour goes to show how much easier Fruita was... both were great fun, though.
    baker

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    11 laps +/- 175 miles at 24 hours of Bend. Just enough for 1st in the Open male solo category--pretty stoked being my first solo 24. Definitely a tough course, but loads of fun. I had a bad stint of digestive issues from 1-6 in the morning which took me out for 4-5 hours. I'll be at Spokane in May and back to Bend in September. I saw STAYLOR and his "smaller" counterpart out there on course a couple of times--SS monsters! I think I too will be SS rigid at Spokane--seems like an ideal course for that set-up. See you there
    Seth

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Solidrs View Post
    11 laps +/- 175 miles at 24 hours of Bend. Just enough for 1st in the Open male solo category--pretty stoked being my first solo 24. Definitely a tough course, but loads of fun. I had a bad stint of digestive issues from 1-6 in the morning which took me out for 4-5 hours. I'll be at Spokane in May and back to Bend in September. I saw STAYLOR and his "smaller" counterpart out there on course a couple of times--SS monsters! I think I too will be SS rigid at Spokane--seems like an ideal course for that set-up. See you there
    Seth
    Awesome! See you there.