Physiological developments of my current training plan- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Physiological developments of my current training plan

Hi all, looking for some advice and opinions, here's my current training regime for XCM (60-100mile), since Sep 2011 I have been lucky to be able to train 15hrs a week through till May this year, I under took a fairly standard linear training program that I have been using for the past few years although I had a longer base this year and focused mainly on tempo, SST & a few 4-6hr LSD rides before a 10 week build with a planned peak period for the month of May.

However circumstances have changed and I now have around 6-9hrs a week to train, limited to weekday evenings (turbo)and early morning during the weekends with maybe 1 long ride a week. I have tried training before work for a week but it meant getting up very early 0430 and limited me to sessions on the turbo of an hour max, by the end of the week I was dead on my feet, also due to upcoming earlier starts I would have to get up even earlier so I have gone back to evening sessions. As I have no more races planned yet for this year I am a bit unsure how to approach my training, I would like to race in Sep (100mile/13000ft of climbing XC) but as yet am not 100% sure this will be possible so I intend to train for a short planned peak in Sep untill I can confirm it.

I would like to try a new approach and have started following a simple non-linear program through till Sep which I hope will enable me to make the most use of my time, it goes like this with LTHR testing every 4 weeks:

Mon:Rest
    Tue:Turbo, 90mins with 2x20min @ 93-100% LTHR
    Wed:Rest or easy spin (possible stretching & core work AM)
    Thur:Turbo, 90min with 3x12min under & over intervals (2mins just below LTHR, 2mins over, repeat for 12 mins) 8min recovery
    or (alternate weekly)
    Thur:Turbo, 90min with 4x2min(1min rest) @ 100-105% LTHR, 10min recovery then 3x4min(3min rest) under & over intervals
    Fri:Rest (possible stretching & core work AM)
    Sat/Sun:2hrs with 3x20min SST
    Sat/Sun:4-6hrs either road(on the mtb)with some steady tempo efforts or 4-6hrs XC depending on trail conditions & weather

Sometimes the long weekend ride may not be possible so I'll plan in another short early morning 3x20 SST session.

It's pretty flat going around here, mainly lots of short(but steep)climbs, during a typical 70-80mile xc ride I usually can get in about 4000ft of climbing.

As a fit & healthy 42yo I have been doing structured training for a number of years up to a approx total of 5-600hrs annually I have a good understanding of sports nutrition and eat healthy to support my current training load. During peak periods I am able to get my weight down to a very lean 148lbs (177cm tall). I've been lighter but it doesn't really work for me.

Q. What would the most likely physiological developments, advantages, pitfalls etc of this regime?

I understand that is a difficult question to answer as it dependent upon so many factors, but I would be interested in other views and opinions as I find sports science interesting and enjoy learning and trying new methods of training to get my body to do what I want it to. I am also interested to know if this plan would promote the kind of developments required for racing mtb marathons.

Thanks for reading and look forward to the replies.
    Last edited by ACDC; 06-30-2012 at 09:13 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I'm not extremely well versed in endurance training. But seeing as you've got a limited time to train, the intervals you're doing are what I would of recommended. The only thing I would change, or add, is on your rest days, a 10 or 15 minute easy spin session, Heart rate around 120-130. A "recovery ride" if you will. I would also say definitely stretch on those days off, maybe even try some yoga. Try and stay as flexible as possible is all I'm trying to say. Foam rolling/trigger point release is also something I would look into.

Also, If it were me. I would give up one of those days and do some form of cross training. If you can find an Erg, "rowing machine", It's an awesome work out and will get your back out of the hunched over position your constantly in on your bike. Swimming is also something you could look into, and you're joints will thank you for it.

Feral Roadie
    Have you read "Time Crunched Cyclist"? It seems pretty similar to what you are attempting and has some useful plans. It's also got useful advice about how long you can realistically train with that intensity.

What are your plans in the way of racing?
    Last edited by bbense; 07-02-2012 at 11:10 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks for the replies, I had already thought about adding a short spin & stretching on the Wednesday & Thursday if I get the time ( I usually stretch for 10-15mins after every session), although my stretching knowledge is pretty basic I'm looking into a few books that will give me more options, any recommendations?

Swimming is something I take on during the winter but during build and peak periods I plan on spending as much time on the bike as possible.

I have read the Time Crunched Cyclist and followed one of his plans a few years ago, pretty good results however it didn't enable me to maintain a high enough avg speed for races >50mile (didn't really expect it to)

I race marathon events 60-100mile, at the minute it's looking like I wont race anymore this year but I'm hoping to be able to enter a 100mile race in Sep (raced it last year and DNF'd) which I'm going to train to a peak for just in case.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I haven't read any books on stretching. All the info I've gathered is from trainers, therapists, and online reading I've done on my own.

10-15 minute ride to get some blood flow going, as muscles don't really respond to being stretched when they're cold. I'm sure you knew that.

The main muscles you'll want to stretch
    - Calves
    - Anterior Tibialus (Front of your shin)
    - Quads
    - Hamstrings
    - IT bands (Not a muscle but you'll still want to stretch it)
    - Hip Flexors
    - Glutes
    - Adductors, Inner thigh

From being in riding position, You're chest is going to get tight, in comparison to your upper back. You're shoulders also really don't get that much movement, you should try and keep those as mobile as you can. Doing circles, forward with fingers towards the sky, and backwards with fingers towards the floor.

Also, You want to keep your hip joint flexible as well. Doing things like fire hydrants, or hip circles, you just want to bring them through full range of motion. Same way as the shoulders.

The back, child's pose from yoga is good, and to really hit the lats. Find a railing, and hold onto it and than sit down while pulling your butt away from your hands. That will really hit your lats.

I mentioned a foam roller. The idea behind it is to break up any muscle 'knots' or 'trigger points' as they're now called. Imagine a shoe lace, that for the sake of argument, you can stretch to be 12 inches long. Now tie a few knots in it, and it's not going to stretch to 12 inches until you take out those knots. Also, my spine constantly goes out of alignment. Rolling on it pops everything back into place. It feels the same as when I go to a Chiro.

So what I would do is get some blood flowing, find some stretches you like and stretch each muscle for 30 seconds 2 times each. Than get on the foam roller, and roll out each muscle looking for those painful knots. I personally will roll one muscle, and than stretch it right after. But I'm sure you can roll out everything and than stretch those muscles again.

Message me if you want more info.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Fantastic info, a great help, I am busy searching & reading up on this subject as it is someting i have been neglecting.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I think we all neglect it to a certain extent. I'm not 100% consistent with it. I think a lot of the reason is, that we enthusiasts that are coaching ourselves, focus to much on reading what the best training plan is, how many miles or hours should we put in of work each week. And all the video's of top tier athletes training 8 hours a day rarely talk about the damage that's done to the body or what they do to recover from it.

I'm injured at the moment and find my self living through these video's, and I found one that does mention it, briefly, but it's still good video.

48 Hours of Training with Tim Don - YouTube

Members who have read this thread: 0