Thread: Oramm

mtbr member
    Jan 2003

Oramm

I just want to get some info,perspective and thoughts regarding this race. How difficult is the race compared to a typical Endu race like Wilderness or Shenandoah100.What kind of terrain ,climb,downhill and technical aspect of it. Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by gcadelina View Post
    I just want to get some info,perspective and thoughts regarding this race. How difficult is the race compared to a typical Endu race like Wilderness or Shenandoah100.What kind of terrain ,climb,downhill and technical aspect of it. Thanks
    This might help - can't compare to those 100s as I haven't done them. (chart cred goes to bd279)

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I did this race for the first time last year. I live here and know what to expect with climbing, tech singletrack etc. The usual sections are hard...the long Curtis Creek section, doing Kitsuma twice (2nd time is obviously tough), and the section from Black mtn campground back to the parkway.

I had come to the conclusion that Curtis Creek would be the toughest part sine it is a seemingly never ending climb. Turns out that the long descent of Heartbreak was the hardest part of the race. After all the exertion of climbing, I was wasted for the long DH. The tech section at the top was especially tough. More towards the bottom it gets easier but the top worked me.

eschewing obfuscation
    Terrific event and a great course despite loads of gravel. If it gives you any perspective, I did it in 6 hrs. 20 min whereas Cohutta took me 8.5 hrs. Cohutta is among the "easiest" hundies and I found it to be harder than oramm due entirely to time on the bike, rather than terrain. The July heat can be wicked at oramm, however...
    "Bikes have wheels." -Noam Chomsky

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    Thanks for the info Guys, i think that Kitsuma x2 and that long Downhill will be the place to watch.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Depending on how you start and where you sort out, the first time up Kitsuma will either be easy or frustrating. Regardless of how strong you are, you are at the mercy of the other 400 people in front of you, both climbing and descending. If you get lucky, you will roll with a group that doesn't dab and can roll up it. If not expect a lot of walking.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by spankye View Post
    Depending on how you start and where you sort out, the first time up Kitsuma will either be easy or frustrating. Regardless of how strong you are, you are at the mercy of the other 400 people in front of you, both climbing and descending. If you get lucky, you will roll with a group that doesn't dab and can roll up it. If not expect a lot of walking.
    I think what's more frustrating is getting behind people that can't descend on the backside (and HB for that matter). In my opinion, that eats up more time than the hike/ride up the switchbacks - and is potentially dangerous (know of several folks who's race was ruined because someone wrecked into them on the descent).

Besides, those of us who are average climbers have to make up some time somewhere!

Dirty South Underdog
    You'll also run in to guys who will get behind you on descents and yell "out of my way, I'm a local!" since your lack of desire to descend with no brakes is holding him back from finishing in 399th place.

(true story)
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

mtbr member
    I did this race for the first time last year. I live here and know what to expect with climbing, tech singletrack etc. The usual sections are hard...the long Curtis Creek section, doing Kitsuma twice (2nd time is obviously tough), and the section from Black mtn campground back to the parkway.

I had come to the conclusion that Curtis Creek would be the toughest part sine it is a seemingly never ending climb. Turns out that the long descent of Heartbreak was the hardest part of the race. After all the exertion of climbing, I was wasted for the long DH. The tech section at the top was especially tough. More towards the bottom it gets easier but the top worked me.
    I couldn't agree more. I did it for the first time last year and Curtis Creek suck because it was never ending in the rain. I couldn't wait to get to the down hill and my hands and legs felt like they were going to come off. I couldn't wait to start climbing again.
    Mountain Bike http://www.mtbmike.com/Videos

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smace View Post
    I couldn't agree more. I did it for the first time last year and Curtis Creek suck because it was never ending in the rain. I couldn't wait to get to the down hill and my hands and legs felt like they were going to come off. I couldn't wait to start climbing again.
    Yep, same experience for me. In hindsight, I would have rather climbed CC again than go down Heartbreak. I lost my groove and never got it back after that.

Kitsuma was pretty fun, at least the first time. But, I have to wonder if it was always that smooth and buffed? If not, I could see how the past ORAMMs were way way tougher!!

Category Winner
    I had come to the conclusion that Curtis Creek would be the toughest part sine it is a seemingly never ending climb. Turns out that the long descent of Heartbreak was the hardest part of the race. After all the exertion of climbing, I was wasted for the long DH.

You should try spending less time climbing Curtis Creek Road.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smace View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky View Post
    You should try spending less time climbing Curtis Creek Road.
    Yeah, I would assume we might feel different if going up CC on SS. But then going down heartbreak on fully rigid..

Actually, I think I would rather do it on rigid with disk brakes than on my 80mms with Vbrakes and worn pads. 2012 might be the year that I upgrade to disk...but only on the front