No 2004 Adrenalin race in Colorado (long rant)- Mtbr.com
    Out There
    Jan 2004

No good No 2004 Adrenalin race in Colorado (long rant)

As a participant in every Adrenalin race held in Colorado, I am ticked off that TriLife has taken its money and snuck home. This is maddening, especially since I just love the event, as do many of my friends. The Adrenalin races always had many innovative and fun aspects for serious racers, adventurous rec riders and even non-riding friends and members of our families.

Their stated reasons are lower growth than desired, uncertain land access, and limited date and venue options. Not buying it. In fact, it stinks to blame riders and others.

I think they are blowing a great opportunity by poor venue selection, no promotion and unwillingness or inability to properly invest in a race in Colorado.

Poor venue selection - Winter Park would seem to be ideal, with many miles of great trails, a high level of local business support, great customer base with metro Denver less than 90 minutes away and a great reputation for mountain biking with amateur racers (long running, successful XC racing series) and with rec riders (events like the Fat Tire Classic).

But the support from the Town of Winter Park may have come at a steep price - the start/finish, expo and campground were right in the middle of town. One bad result was that the camping was always cramped, separated into remote, smaller sections, inconvenient and inexplicably poorly prepped. Despite moving the camping around each year, it never really improved for riders or crew or spectators. I don't know how they could reasonably expect the camping situation to do anything but dampen growth.

No promotion - And I looked for it. TriLife apparently chose to rely on word of mouth and repeat customers. But active folks in Colorado have many, many options year round. As a relentless, vocal advocate of this event, I have talked with many avid mountain bikers, including racers of the Winter Park XC series, that did not even know of the existence of the Adrenalin race. Even with a great event, I don't know how they could reasonably expect to grow fast without at least some promotion.

In sum, from my saddle, I think TriLife correctly saw a nice opportunity in Colorado, found a large, enthusiastic sponsor in the Town of Winter Park and then just sat back and waited for explosive growth to just happen at an ill-conceived site with no promotion. With profits not dropping from the sky and overall financial resources strapped, TriLife apparently is not now in a position to make the necessary investments and changes.

I am thankful for the opportunities and memories of the Colorado Adrenalin events. If I'm wrong on any of the facts, assumptions or conclusions, I'd love to be corrected. I'd love to race this event again. But not after they've screwed up this one, blamed others and moved out.

Those not from around Colorado are rightly more concerned about the bankruptcy. That pushes me over the edge. Looks like a long drive to Moab and a longer drive to Old Pueblo. Gotta get my 24 hours jones. And it won't be at an Adrenalin event for awhile.

The Turbo Blaster
    You say you are ticked off that TriLife has taken its money and snuck home. But then you say, that with profits not dropping from the sky and overall financial resources strapped, TriLife apparently is not now in a position to make the necessary investments and changes.

Which is it--do they have money or not?

I'm guessing there's a pretty small margin on these events, and no one at TriLife is getting rich. I also haven't seen much promotion for any of the 24 hour races. The only thing I've ever seen has been race reports in VeloNews and other magazines, and also an article last year in the L.A. Times on the Moab race (which isn't TriLife). Also an occasional feature in one of the bike magazines.

I did the Laguna Seca race and don't recall seeing any promotion for it, but there were plenty of riders there. It's a niche market, so word of mouth is extremely important. If Winter Park sucked so bad, I'm sure the writing was on the wall for the future.

Out There
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, you're right. "Taken their money and snuck home" was a poor choice of words. I don't know TriLife's finances. And they're entitled to operate for a profit.

But in their own words, TL stated as a reason for leaving that the Winter Park race did not grow as fast as expected. They may have made money there, but not as much as their corporate model required. I don't know. They never claimed to have lost money there.

In any event, the Winter Park race did not suck. But I believe that elements within TL's control hampered growth. Instead of acknowledging that, their statements come off as blaming the riders and the community.

And that hurts, because I Iove this event.

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004

I'm with you...

Yep. Tri-Life cancelled out on the 24 hours of snoqualamie here in western washington last summer too. We took a team up in 2002 for a fairly poorly attended inaugural event due mostly to poor publicity. The actual race was great -- the logistics were handled well and everyone had an amazing time (pain notwithstanding).

Our team left with a very positive impression. The Tri-Life organizers swore up and down that they were going to make the only washington state stop (a mere 45 minutes away from Seattle) into a regular event in the adrenaline circuit. "We'll be doing tons of publicity," they said. "We'll be in all the LBS's..."

My team only figured out when the 2003 race was happening when one of our guys checked the Tri-Life website in July. We registered; but in mid-August, two and a half weeks before the race and after no local promotion, they cancelled out due to "lack of interest." We got nothing more in the way of explanation.

I'll have to say I'm no huge fan of Granny Gear or our local 24-hour event promoter Round-and-Round, but at least they follow through. I'm not sure I would register for another Tri-Life event.
    Last edited by GeePhroh; 01-13-2004 at 12:52 AM.

Dec 2003
    FWIW, Trilife (now Twenty4Sports) is in the midst of re-structuring due to a recent bankruptcy and I am not surprised to see some locations off the '04 schedule. They've cancelled a popular Ontario, Canada race (Kelso) and seem to have lost the rights to host their largest and oldest race at Hardwood Hills....now being hosted by Chico Racing.

Ride Hard,
    Mike B.
    http://www.one-speed.com

Out There
    Jan 2004

Better Options

Thanks, GeePhroh. I noticed last year that the Snoqualamie race was canceled, but didn't realized it was so close to race day. Sorry to hear. Hope you found something that scratched the itch.

I'm probably acting like a 12 year old kid who loves to go to the circus every summer with all his friends. Then, in the dead of winter, the circus announces that it won't be here next year. Oh, and by the way, they say my friends and I are to blame.

But that's what these races do. They strike right at the heart of the simple joy of riding. If you love to ride, what's better than an entire weekend of riding and hanging out with your buds?

This thing is bigger than any one promoter. We'll find other options.

Des(s)ert Rat

They are recovering from bankruptcy...

Like many of the corporations in the cycling industry, things are tight for them. I think the races and events took the hardest hits. I don't know of any event or race (in the US) that grew in size last year and I know of at least one that lost registration numbers and money. I'm sure there are success stories somewhere, but the downturn in the economy cut pretty deep. It's hard to get sponsorship from companies that are having a hard time staying in business. The race sponsorships are the first to go, then the festival sponsorships then the teams.

Candlestick Maker

There is already another option...

>I'm probably acting like a 12 year old kid who loves to go to the circus
    >every summer with all his friends. Then, in the dead of winter, the
    >circus announces that it won't be here next year.

I agree with this assessment.

>We'll find other options.

There is already at least one other 24 hour option within Colorado (24 Hours in the Sage). The atmosphere was nothing like an Adrenaline or Granny Gear event and I personally preferred it that way. Way less of a circus and more about riding.

baker
    Last edited by baker; 01-13-2004 at 03:47 PM.

Out There
    Jan 2004

Thanks

Thanks for the confirmation, Baker. I know I've reacted to all this from my riding age (about 12).

I'll check into the 24 Hours in the Sage. Maybe use this opening to try out a 50 or 100 miler. I'd welcome any suggestions.

Done ranting and going for a ride.

Candlestick Maker
    crosstrail-
    This past year, I raced the Silver Rush 50 and Leadville 100 b4 the Sage race (as a duo team). Of the three, Sage was the most fun. For me, Leadville was an awesome accomplishment, but not nearly as fun as a 24 hour race. I was having a great race at the Silver Rush, but got lost. Ooops...

baker

Out There
    Jan 2004
    Thanks again, Baker. Congrats on Leadville. That is an accomplishment. Also, that Silver Rush getting lost story has got to be good. I'd like to hear more about that sometime.

In addition to the races you mentioned, I've heard that the Breckenridge Firecracker 50 in early July is fun. Time to break out the 2004 calendar and schedule something new.

Candlestick Maker

Getting lost at Silver Rush

Quote Originally Posted by crosstrail
    Also, that Silver Rush getting lost story has got to be good. I'd like to hear more about that sometime.
    http://forums13.consumerreview.com/[email protected]/3

baker

Members who have read this thread: 0