New build. Thomson cockpit or go lighter to save weight- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004

New build. Thomson cockpit or go lighter to save weight

Building a new rig for long distances. Lots of climbing, fire foads and singletrack. I want to keep it light but I'm not going to compromise to much strength for weight. Example is I went with XMC Carbon DT Swiss wheels instead of saving 100 grams on a XRC set. I will be descending on it but no drops or heavy steeps I have a RFX for that. I will be doing the Visionquest race next year and I'm thinking about leadvile. My question is Im planning to run a complete Thomson cockpit. I can save almost 150 grams by switching to a Wren stem and Mt Zoom bars over the thomson bar stem. Anyone running this setup. Reliability is a big deal for me. Thoughts?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by artsn View Post
    Building a new rig for long distances. Lots of climbing, fire foads and singletrack. I want to keep it light but I'm not going to compromise to much strength for weight. Example is I went with XMC Carbon DT Swiss wheels instead of saving 100 grams on a XRC set. I will be descending on it but no drops or heavy steeps I have a RFX for that. I will be doing the Visionquest race next year and I'm thinking about leadvile. My question is Im planning to run a complete Thomson cockpit. I can save almost 150 grams by switching to a Wren stem and Mt Zoom bars over the thomson bar stem. Anyone running this setup. Reliability is a big deal for me. Thoughts?
    I know you posted in the weight weenies section too.

I built up a bike for endurance riding that I'll be riding next weekend in a 100-miler. I tried to build it up light, but not stupid light, just for that purpose. I have some stupid light xpedo pedals, 290 gram racing rims, DT 180 hub, and 2.1" tires and other stuff on that wheelset that I run for the local XC series. If it craps out during a race, I can get out easy and I'm never far from civilization. For endurance racing, in hour 10, I'm dog tired and my brain just isn't making great decisions. I need more durability from the ride and I need all the comfort I can get. Some of the mistakes I've made in the past were over-pressurizing my suspension and tires with the idea of "more efficiency". Sometimes taking a short bridge when I could have just ridden through the stream (much safer when my body was that tired). For this race, I'm using my XTR pedals, my 400g rim wheelset with 2.35 icon tires. Will these be slower? Sure, but it'll be a far better choice IMO for endurance riding, at least for me. I wouldn't be trying to go stupid-light on the stem and bar interface. A decent light bike is good, but over 100 miles really beats my body up and last year one of the descents beat me up pretty good too. Changed the fork out to a 34 just for that.

Depending on the race, I wouldn't necessarily make all of these changes, maybe mix and match more, but I wouldn't be trying to go too far in the weight weenie thing for an endurance race. Regular shorter XC races would make more sense in that way IMO.

I don't see the WCS 260 aluminum stem anymore on ritchey's site, the one I have uses 3 T20 bolts at the steerer tube and the 4 T20s at the face-place. That feature is a little harder to deal with and you have to be careful how you insert a bar due to the 260 degree wrap, but it's very light, well under 100g for the 60mm length I use. Ritchey makes good stuff and I have no qualms using this. Getting into some of the crazier weight weenie stuff, IMO you become a human tester.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Niner RDO Stem (115g) and Bar (195g) are light and strong. No worries on decent. I like the 9˚ sweep vs the Thomson 6˚ I've owned both and prefer more sweep and the Thomson carbon bar felt super stiff to me vs the Niner. Also, at 780, I like the width. Thomson stems are awesome, but heavy if you're counting grams.

I am NOT a fan of Niner's frames (Went through 4 of then before switching to Ibis) but I like their bars and stems.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I have the wren stem and mt zoom bar. Totally solid, just finished a 3 day stage race and could not be happier. I also went from Thomson to this for the same reason.