Moab Rocks 2019- Mtbr.com

Thread: Moab Rocks 2019

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Moab Rocks 2019

Registered. Stoked. Not sure what to expect besides a great time... This will be my first 3 day stage race.

Have you done this race or registering for the first time? How was your experience? Have any tips to share?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I did it two or three seasons back and thinking about doing it this year just to help with early season fitness.

Good time (I find Moab to always be a good time but...) and while the courses aren't technically closed, the signage and early starts limited the amount of traffic which is damn nice. People still walking from the hwy up to Porc but that was after the finish so not a big deal - I'm sure they had a great time though with a few hundred riders coming down.

I ran my trail bike (429 trail) with my medium wheels (I think I had Arch or maybe i9 trail at that time) and Ikons. dropper too (duh). I'll probably use the same bike if I still have it but go with a lighter wheelset (i9 ultralights have been pretty resilient) and just not take as many dumb lines as I normally do on the first day (Sand flats from town to UPS or just above the snotch depending on snowpack) and then some slightly burlier hoops for the next two days.

I don't remember times much but ~2-2.5hrs/day I think?

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Love this race! 2019 will be my third go at it.

Build your bike with durability in mind. The first day is usually up Sand Flats Rd, but down Porcupine Rim. Porky kills lightweight tires and wheels. The rest of the stages are rocky too, but not like day one.

Pick your housing wisely, you'll be there a lot! Most stages are done well before noon, so you've got a lot of down time.

Don't rush outta the gate too hard, you'll struggle to recover if you pop. If you've got a power meter, use it! The one caveat to this is the Klondike stage, you've gotta dig deep for the first 10 minutes so you don't get held up on the singletrack. This is usually where I hit my 5 minute power PR for the year.

Here are my stages from this year
    Stage 1
    Stage 2
    Stage 3
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - VP of Business Development
    Pivot Cycles - Team Rider

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Wow. Great insights yaíll! Will look through your race details Noah.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Anyone else registered? Not gonna lie, a little concerned with the trail conditions... eek!

mtbr member
    I'm trying to get excited for this race but it's about $150 a day to ride good trails not great and short races not epics.
    Can't keep track anymore - Giant, Santa Cruz, Pivot, Yeti, Norco, Salsa, Intense - if it rolls on dirt I like it

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by k/dv View Post
    Anyone else registered? Not gonna lie, a little concerned with the trail conditions... eek!
    I wouldn't worry, it's still over a month away. Who knows what'll happen.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - VP of Business Development
    Pivot Cycles - Team Rider

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    My wife and I both signed up on a whim... we do a lot of XC and endurance racing... but I'm a little nervous about Moab terrain. I'll be on a Specialized Epic, not ideal, but it'll have to do. I've ridden Gooseberry... Klondite is the only riding I've done in Moab. No issues with those trail systems, but I have a feeling it's going to get a lot more 'challenging' than those areas.
    TTUB - Ventura County California

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by TTUB View Post
    My wife and I both signed up on a whim... we do a lot of XC and endurance racing... but I'm a little nervous about Moab terrain. I'll be on a Specialized Epic, not ideal, but it'll have to do. I've ridden Gooseberry... Klondite is the only riding I've done in Moab. No issues with those trail systems, but I have a feeling it's going to get a lot more 'challenging' than those areas.
    Just tire up with High volume protected tires and throw on a KS carbon Dropper and you will be fine.

You could use it as an excuse to pick up the low offset 34 stepcast from https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/pro...m-tapered-2019