Looking at new helemts what ya wearing- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Looking at new helemts what ya wearing

I'm currently wearing a Giro Montaro Mips that needs to be replaced, I took a hard spill last Nov and cracked the inner liner and I'm just now getting around to replacing it. I want to replace it with a lighter helmet that is better suited for Endurance XC racing.

I just looked at a Kask Mojito today in the Orange and black and It seemed like a nice lid..
    Nuun Ambassador 2017/2018
    Honey Stinger Ambassador 2018
    Facebook Blog "Run with me"
    Instagram @Run_withme1972

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleinTexas View Post
    I'm currently wearing a Giro Montaro Mips that needs to be replaced, I took a hard spill last Nov and cracked the inner liner and I'm just now getting around to replacing it. I want to replace it with a lighter helmet that is better suited for Endurance XC racing.
    I picked up an Oakley ARO-5... most comfortable helmet I have used recently... it doesnít have much padding inside which has been good for sweat management. Technically a road helmet but I use it for XCM.

This place needs an enema
    I replaced my aging helmet last winter with a Bontrager Rally MIPS. As long as a helmet fits and has an adjustable visor I'm typically not too picky. What I really like about this one is the sweet (and included) magnetic light mount setup. Can slap my light on with one hand even at speed -- no need to stop or fiddle. Can do the same with a go pro if needed -- altho I can't say I've used it for that yet.

Otherwise it's just a helmet like any other.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    slight tangent possibly and this probably won't be a popular thought but for daylight racing, consider aerodynamics. yes, even at 8mph that shit matters. There are a few out there at the moment that are good compromises between aero and ventilation. If you're more concerned with finishing then it's arguably not important - but still something to consider depending on your trajectory (mine is down ).

We're a Smith team and while I'm pretty confident (unfounded?) in the use of that honeycomb material that I can't remember the name of, it does preclude the use of lights on their slightly aero-roadie version so I have a night one (the smith mtb helmet) that has light/go-pro mount. Was looking to pick up the new POC Ventral (? I think that's the one) but I'll make due with what I have for this year. Related, I find both of my smith helmets pretty warm although at speed they're fine. ymmv

Formerly of Kent
    Specialized S-Works Evade.

Because it fits me very well, and was the right price. The aero aspect was a very minor tertiary consideration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I would just get in and support your lbs. There are a ton of really sweat options out there now. It seems that a few guys led the way in the past and now a ton of guys have followed there model. Mips, back of head protection, low weight would be the biggest things to look for.

mtbr member
    I'm sporting a Leatt DBX 3.0.

I like it but it's off the MIPs band wagon...

I like big visors and I cannot lie!

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I'm now picking from things on this list for my next one, probably a bontrager ballista. https://www.beam.vt.edu/helmet/bicyc...t-ratings.html

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Giro Phase for racing/cruising (peak removed), Giro Chronicle (Mips) for rough riding (damn 3 position peak), Bell Super for gnar (sweet adjustable peak).

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I've been rolling a Kask Protone. Has done well for me out here in Texas.

Co Springs
    661 Recon or Recon Scout.

Didn't do lots of tech/safety research but wanted a newer helmet and brighter colors / visibility. Happy with it as light, good venting and comfortable.
    Strange luck, the odd shade of red- tomato red/orange matched my bike as if it was custom painted. Had no thought or confidence in that at all as it was an overseas order.
    I heard a vaccination joke the other day
    Ö but some won't get it .

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Troy Lee A2 Mips

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Bontrager Rally MIPS is working well (fit, ventilation, coverage) though maybe a bit bulky for racing use.

No use to me, but it has the slickest magnet mount for lights and/or cameras I've seen.

And, it's ORANGE!
    Whining is not a strategy.

It ain't easy being Green
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleinTexas View Post

I just looked at a Kask Mojito today in the Orange and black and It seemed like a nice lid..

Giro Fathom has been my goto racing lid for a few years now; it's so light I barely notice it which really helps for long days or stage racing. Good coverage, visor, easy adjust headband.

Grip it and rip it.
    POC Octal

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    661 EVO. On sale for $50.00 and has MIPS. Fits my head and vents as good as anything else I tried. Previous helmet was a POC (broke in crash); so far, the 661 has been every bit as good...and $100 cheaper.

https://www.steepandcheap.com/six-si...xoC6kUQAvD_BwE

One criticism from some folks is that the visor isn't adjustable, but it hasn't bothered me as I never wear goggles.

EDIT: It appears the ones left are around $100...still a decent deal.
    Last edited by smartyiak; 08-13-2018 at 02:05 PM.

smith forefront. i like that the honeycomb vents don't allow my head to get sunburnt in funny patterns like other helmets.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Timon View Post
    smith forefront. i like that the honeycomb vents don't allow my head to get sunburnt in funny patterns like other helmets.
    Do you find it runs hot? I have the road version and itís noticably hotter than my Poc. One other thing I donít like: when I get over heated, I dump water on my head....for a bit, the honeycombs catch water....until they drain, the helmet weighs at least 5lbs.

Rides all the bikes!
    SWorks Prevail. Light and ventilated. Only comes out for racing though